Are games best when they are experenced together? Or how I learned to limit procedural generation.

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Jan 29, 2020, 08:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Every Minecraft world is unique but feels the same. Players can share their experiences online and talk about the game without issue. Same creatures, same biomes, and the same gameplay.

Same goes for Spelunky and other procedural games like that. The world is unique every time but still has lots of common parts. Players can set up wikis about the games and enjoy the meta together.

Dreams is not a procedurally generated game but it's a pretty good example imo of a game that can't be experienced together. Every user generated level is super unique and without playing the exact same levels, it's impossible for fans to share their common experiences online.

Dreams embraces this and is built around this. Players are supposed to promote cool levels so others can experience them.

This pretty much applies to all games with generated content nowadays. Either the generated content keeps things structured or the generated content is shared between players.

If you can think of games that don't follow this trend, please share!

I stumbled into this solution with The Forged Kingdoms. It is all procedurally generated but I decided to select 1 seed as the official campaign. Everyone can play with the same kingdoms and npcs. There are millions of swords but everyone can start out with the same basic ones. Then every two months or so a community seed could be promoted to function like a book club. Dreams like sharing doesn't work well since games are long.