Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

How the freak does nba sell that much as a yearly game?
dude.  bro..  i was thinking the same thing.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Animal Crossing's path to become the best selling game of all time in Japan from Lelouch on Era:

Xevross

Big headlines for the July NPD release:

• TLOU2 now Sony's third biggest game for dollar sales ever only behind Spidey and GOW
  • Ghost of Tsushima is the fourth biggest Sony debut ever for dollar sales

Era link for more: NPD July 2020 - Ghost of Tsushima #1 - CoD MW #2 - Paper Mario #3 | ResetEra

Twitter thread:

No other details yet from what I can see.

edit: Venturebeat article
   venturebeat.com   July 2020 NPD: Paper Mario and Ghost of Tsushima have strong debuts The July 2020 NPD gaming report is in, and it's another big one for software and content sales. Paper Mario: The Origami King and Ghost of Tsushima lead.   venturebeat.com venturebeat.com    
"Consumer spending across video game hardware, content, and accessories totaled $3.6 billion in July 2020, increasing 32% when compared to a year ago," said NPD analyst Mat Piscatella. "Double-digit percentage spending gains in accessories, subscription, mobile, and both digital full game as well as post launch spending on console and PC offset a slight decline in hardware."

For the year so far, spending on games continues to track significantly ahead of 2019.

"Year-to-date spending reached $26 billion, 21% higher than the same period in 2019," said Piscatella. "Content, hardware, and accessory spending are each over 20 percent higher when compared to the same period a year ago."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Ghost of Tsushima:
"Ghost of Tsushima is developer Sucker Punch Productions' fastest selling release in history. Ghost of Tsushima also debuts as 2020's 5th best-selling game year-to-date."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Paper Mario:
"Paper Mario: The Origami King set a new launch month sales record for a Paper Mario title, with physical launch month dollar sales more than doubling those of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door."  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  

Xevross

Aug 17, 2020, 04:07 PM Last Edit: Aug 17, 2020, 04:19 PM by Xevross
Just for an expansion on my point in another thread about TLOU2 legs and Ghost possibly beating it, here's the total new players added each week on gamestat for Sony's biggest games this gen:

(sales in thousands)Ghost of Tsushima (3 day wk1)The Last of Us Part II (3 day wk1)Uncharted 4 (6 day wk1)Spider-Man (3 day wk1)God of War (3 day wk1)Horizon Zero Dawn (6 day wk1)
Week 1 185029901970299023501590
Week 21060136067019001460570
Week 36305704251010790340
Week 4420330355690540240
Week 5240270520420200
Week 6190250400330150
Week 7170220310310160
Week 8160200270300130
Total after 83960 (after 4 weeks)60104360809065003380
Wk 8 % of Wk1N/A5.35%10.15%9.03%12.77%8.18%
Wk1 % of LTD46.72%49.75%45.18%36.96%36.15%47.04%

Uncharted 4 and HZD had a tuesday launch compared to the friday of the others, hence the bigger second week drop compared to the others. Ghost's week 1 already accounts for lower % of its LTD than TLOU 2 after only 4 weeks.

Uncharted 4 and HZD suffer greatly in that last row due to their tuesday launches, their %s would be 30.27% and 30.44% if you included only their first 3 days like the others. Considering this, TLOU2 legs for the first 8 weeks are by far the weakest of Sony's massive titles this gen.

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

Wow, impressive! Especially when CoD and NBA and others were recently offered

kitler53

rocket league deserves the title more but i suppose ps+ has a much higher user base today than it did in 2015.  

if they can keep people entertained for the long term digital devolver and mediatonic has a real money generator on their hands.   that makes me very happy as digital devolver publishes soo many great indie games.  i hope all this money let's them expand a bit at bring even more great games to playstation.  don't even care about exclusivity just bring the games.  hotline miami, broforce, titan souls, and especially talos principle are all favorites of mine.

Dr. Pezus

rocket league deserves the title more but i suppose ps+ has a much higher user base today than it did in 2015.  

if they can keep people entertained for the long term digital devolver and mediatonic has a real money generator on their hands.   that makes me very happy as digital devolver publishes soo many great indie games.  i hope all this money let's them expand a bit at bring even more great games to playstation.  don't even care about exclusivity just bring the games.  hotline miami, broforce, titan souls, and especially talos principle are all favorites of mine.
Yes but from a business standpoint I think they'd like some space between them

Xevross

Sep 06, 2020, 03:43 PM Last Edit: Sep 06, 2020, 03:45 PM by Xevross
56k physical debut for Avengers in the UK. Some comparisons:

Spider-Man : 190k
 Shadow of Tomb Raider : 55k

• Jedi Fallen Order : 87k
  • AC Odyssey : 72k
  • RE2 Remake : 70k
  • FF7 Remake : 57-67k (during lockdowns)
  • The Division 2 : 55k
  • Anthem : 42k

Really hard to judge this without digital sales but its safe to say this isn't a failure at least. Digital could be as high as 67%+ meaning 170k+ debut which would be great, considering its relased on steam as well I think that's reasonable.

Xevross

Some extra insight on Avengers from Zhuge:

Dr. Pezus

Some extra insight on Avengers from Zhuge:

Positive reviews? A 70 ain't gonna help it now lol

Xevross

Sep 08, 2020, 10:40 AM Last Edit: Sep 08, 2020, 10:43 AM by Xevross
Updated next gen sales prediction before we see PS5 price and reaction:

Xbox family will win back US and UK and gain ground elsewhere. Overall PS5 110M, Xbox 80M.

PS5 small decline on PS4 due to some lost sales to xbox. Xbox is way up on XB1 and grows the generation overall thanks to the insane value of the Series S bringing in new customers and more repeat buyers.

kitler53

Updated next gen sales prediction before we see PS5 price and reaction:

Xbox family will win back US and UK and gain ground elsewhere. Overall PS5 110M, Xbox 80M.

PS5 small decline on PS4 due to some lost sales to xbox. Xbox is way up on XB1 and grows the generation overall thanks to the insane value of the Series S bringing in new customers and more repeat buyers.
i'm not exactly disagreeing with you.  at the same time i'm not sure either.  xbox has to be more than just cheap,.. it needs games people want to play.   i suppose the series s is fine if all you want to do is play fifa or CoD but i think most people will want access to the generation's blockbusters and i still don't see ms making much ground there yet.   

also, i'm still not sure how well a "digital only" console can do.   i still hear a ton of people (like myself) saying i buy all my games digitally but i still don't like only having access to digital.   i'm not sure how this will play out with the masses but i wouldn't buy a series s.

Xevross

i'm not exactly disagreeing with you.  at the same time i'm not sure either.  xbox has to be more than just cheap,.. it needs games people want to play.   i suppose the series s is fine if all you want to do is play fifa or CoD but i think most people will want access to the generation's blockbusters and i still don't see ms making much ground there yet.  

also, i'm still not sure how well a "digital only" console can do.   i still hear a ton of people (like myself) saying i buy all my games digitally but i still don't like only having access to digital.   i'm not sure how this will play out with the masses but i wouldn't buy a series s.
Indeed it does and I think they're going to deliver the games this gen too, hence my prediction. I'm still predicting this will be a worse gen than 360 for HW sales though, so its not like its a crazy success.

kitler53

Indeed it does and I think they're going to deliver the games this gen too, hence my prediction. I'm still predicting this will be a worse gen than 360 for HW sales though, so its not like its a crazy success.
maybe,  ms's commitement to cross platfom and series s pretty much gaurentees that they can't make a god of war or TLoU level of impressive game.   the cross platform is just too much of a drag and optimization.

also, other than obsidian ms's studios are pretty much trash.  maybe they'll get better but that takes time.  so like maybe next gen.   besides, the business clearly wants gamepass and not big block busters.  their games will get bogged down by a GaaS model prioritization for gamepass.  

Go Up