The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

kitler53

http://www.ibtimes.com/oculus-vr-fou...ion-vr-2256011

Luckey: That might be true. I think that there's not many people who already own a PS4 who don't own a gaming PC who are going to go out and make that roughly $1500 all-in investment in the Rift. It really is a separate market. They're bringing virtual reality to a different group of people who I don't think where ever really a part of our market anyway.
i agree with this.  i really don't think there are many people that are willing to invest in a >$1000 pc and are also active console gamers.  yeah sure there are those with both but most of those guys are probably highly active on their PC and only play ps4 for exclusives.

aka, i really doubt there are people considering the pro/con list of getting OR vs. psvr.  most people are probably only considering one of these VR sets vs. none.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Mmm_fish_tacos

Apparently about 100 ORs are made an hour.  

Also the Vive Pre is almost exactly what I wanted it to be.  
Explain.

kitler53

Apparently about 100 ORs are made an hour.  

Also the Vive Pre is almost exactly what I wanted it to be.  
that would be ~73,000 a month or 876,000 a year.

if that's true then i can see why shipments have sold out and even it if remains sold out for a year,.. less than a million in the first year isn't at all impressive even if it "meets or exceeds expectations".

Mmm_fish_tacos

Jan 08, 2016, 08:32 PM Last Edit: Jan 08, 2016, 08:34 PM by Mmm_fish_tacos
I just tried the CES Rift CV1 demos : oculus

that would be ~73,000 a month or 876,000 a year.

if that's true then i can see why shipments have sold out and even it if remains sold out for a year,.. less than a million in the first year isn't at all impressive even if it "meets or exceeds expectations".
I thought they would be able to make a 100k a month. I guess I wasn't that far off. And they probably could up their speed a bit. But they are still a small company even if facebook owns them. Their manafacturing abilities are going to be hindered because of that fact.

the-pi-guy

Explain.
The camera being included was always very important to my idea of what a VR headset should have, either on the headset or separately.  
A lot of people complain about being excluded from the world, which is important to consider.  

If someone has dogs and babies crawling around, it's a bit more comforting for the headset to be able to let the player know.  

I thought they would be able to make a 100k a month. I guess I wasn't that far off. And they probably could up their speed a bit. But they are still a small company even if facebook owns them. Their manafacturing abilities are going to be hindered because of that fact.
About what I thought they would be doing too.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

The camera being included was always very important to my idea of what a VR headset should have, either on the headset or separately.  
A lot of people complain about being excluded from the world, which is important to consider.  

If someone has dogs and babies crawling around, it's a bit more comforting for the headset to be able to let the player know.  

About what I thought they would be doing too.  
Yeah, It's a great addition but screen door keep getting brought up and it is an immersion killer. It's still the number one thing i notice when using the Gear Vr. Resolution really doesn't matter that much, but artifacts and the screen door kills it. It's still cool. but it does pull you out of the "moment".

Honestly I don't have the room for a standing Vr experience, even if they can point out everything everywhere in my home. Even after we buy a house here soon. I wont have the room. I mean, I'll get my game room back. But I'm not going to have room dedicated for vr.

the-pi-guy

Yeah, It's a great addition but screen door keep getting brought up and it is an immersion killer. It's still the number one thing i notice when using the Gear Vr. Resolution really doesn't matter that much, but artifacts and the screen door kills it. It's still cool. but it does pull you out of the "moment".
Agreed, but I like that someone at least tried that direction. Even if they are behind in other aspects, the camera itself is important I think.  

Oculus really made their newest headset really nice.  
The reviews make it sound almost perfect, and in many respects better than the Vive.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

Jan 08, 2016, 08:56 PM Last Edit: Jan 08, 2016, 09:04 PM by Mmm_fish_tacos
Agreed, but I like that someone at least tried that direction. Even if they are behind in other aspects, the camera itself is important I think.  

Oculus really made their newest headset really nice.  
The reviews make it sound almost perfect, and in many respects better than the Vive.  
Hopefully they'll add that to next year's model or at least come up with an add on.

From the link i posted a few post ago.

Vive Pre: I'm conflicted. I feel like my demo specifically was less than par for a multitude of reasons, but I'll start with the positives. Once I point out negatives, take them with a grain of salt unless other people who have tried both the Vive and CV1 report the same issues.
When the Vive works properly, it works well. Their Controller tracking works very precisely (just like the Vive and Rift headsets). Aiming down the sights of a gun felt natural. The touchpads functioned (though they weren't used too much in the demos for anything but swiping). Room scale VR is nice, but so is sitting down with a controller in hand playing a slightly more familiar game with a gamepad and head tracking. I see both applications taking off. The Chaperone system seemed OK but really nothing special, basically just a wireframe box that shows up when you get close to the edge of your preprogrammed space (Oculus could do something like this in their SDK if they wanted, it was really really really simple).
The ocean scene was nice. The blue whale that came looked pretty sweet. Aside from that, the textures in the scene were mostly pretty meh.
The zombie shooter (did everyone else try this or was my demoer being nice?) was actually pretty cool, though the controls for ammo and gun switching felt a little unnatural. It felt awkward like pulling a game controller trigger, not like grabbing and dropping something.
Tiltbrush was fun. Nothing to really complain about, aside from a bug on one of my controllers. I could honestly see artists picking this up. That video of the Disney artist painting Ariel in 3D was no joke.
Now for neutral and negative comments about the Vive: The resolution seems kinda around the same, or maybe slightly worse (I know, same res screens, but optics do a lot) than the Rift CV1. However, the kit was blurry. I had my demoer (actually, both of them, since the first one had technical issues) clean it but it didn't really help. The lenses looked sparkly clean but it was blurry when I put it on.. Maybe my head is too small or too big for their one-size-fits-all stuff, but seriously, it was pretty bad in the center (I tried adjusting the position of the Vive on my face, the tightness of the straps, it didn't help). Surely these problems will be fixed by a consumer release, but the blur was certainly problematic. After I was done and noted the blur, my demoer tried it on and noted the same problems, saying it was weird as hell (I assume he's tried it before). Probably just a problem with that unit or my head. I didn't see any pentile artifacts iirc, but those didn't bother me in the Rift anyways.
Second, a whole host of technical issues had me waiting another 15-20 minutes before I had a working demo. The first Vive I tried, the visuals were tilted. One reset and recalibration later and that was fixed, but now the motion controllers weren't connected or weren't tracking! Ew. Also it was blurry as I said above. So I waited some time for another demo room to open up. Luckily that one worked. It still had the blur of my first headset. The controllers again didn't work but a restart of the software fixed it once and for all.
Shooting my guns accurately was harder than it should have been due to the blur. One of the controllers had a bugged touchpad that would glitch the hell out if I lifted my finger off of it, which made the menu all jittery in tiltbrush. Keeping my finger on it fixed it, but it still shouldn't be happening.
Finally, the ergonomics of the Vive Pre were just not up to snuff. They're still using elastic bands, and the headset was heavier than the Rift. This allowed it to move around a little while on my face, even when the straps were relatively tight. Also due to the elastic, the padding didn't feel as "invisible" as on the Rift. I couldn't whip my head around without the headset moving, so I occasionally had to adjust it to get in the almost-sweet-spot again (which was awkward while holding the motion controllers). While I don't have any Oculus Touch experience to compare against yet, the controllers didn't feel quite as ergonomic as I was expecting, but they were good enough to where I would feel comfortable using them at least for a few hours without complaint. I'll compare tomorrow if I get Touch in my hands.

Raven

I just tried the CES Rift CV1 demos : oculus
I thought you were talking about sales. Not unit sales. Both? Pickle? 42?

Mmm_fish_tacos

Jan 08, 2016, 09:53 PM Last Edit: Jan 08, 2016, 09:58 PM by Mmm_fish_tacos
Well both really. I made a guess of them being able to manufacture 100k a month. and they've sold out for 3 months. Making the sales 300k, but we know now that's too high and I think Kitlers estimate is too high too as that assumes 24 hour production. If it's china that we could asume that it is 24 hour production. My plant operates 20 hours a day as do most in my this area.

On a 20 hour a day cycle they sold 180,000 on a 24 hour cycle they sold 216,000

wait dollar amount? The F man get with it.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I did not know that.  Add more to the list of stuff you get when you buy CV1

Legend

I did not know that.  Add more to the list of stuff you get when you buy CV1
What's with the remote some people mentioned?

It includes XBO and a media remote?

kitler53

yeah but having the external world mapped into the virtual world is, imo, a huge immersion killer.   clearly i haven't been in a vive myself but the videos they have shown looked really annoying to me.

- the guardian system interupts your VR world which by definition break immersion.
+ the external world is only wireframed in so small details are sure to be lost
+ it is still wired,.. i'm not going to be able to have anyone manage that cord while i play to ensure i don't trip or strangle myself
+ i still don't have a furniture less room of any decent size  i'm willing to dedicate to VR
+ is it really going to be that much better for games?  i mean,.. will all vive games have to take place in an immersive world that is only 15x15 feet or less?  that's a bit less restrictive that having to sit down but still,.. you're playing a sword game have having a great time swinging your sword around battling some demon you go in for the final blow but oh wait,.. top.  back off you're about to hit a wall now... 

i get the appeal of being able to walk around but it just really isn't practical in the current scenario.  it will never be as fun as you think it will be after you finish the first couple of tech demos.  no "real" game is going to be able to use that "chaperon" aspect and still design a fun gameplay experience that lasts more than a few minutes.

not sure what phrase will get coined but vive's chaperon will be limited to a a small walled-garden that will feel is lifeless and limited as a rail-shooters do today.  you want the true open-world sandbox and all you'll get is a sandbox.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Jan 08, 2016, 10:56 PM Last Edit: Jan 08, 2016, 10:58 PM by Mmm_fish_tacos
What's with the remote some people mentioned?

It includes XBO and a media remote?
Think of it like the trackpad on the side of the Gearvr. It's to navigate menus and maybe play simple games. Which is what they should have done with the Gearvr.  Acting like cyclops gets old after awhile.

yeah but having the external world mapped into the virtual world is, imo, a huge immersion killer.   clearly i haven't been in a vive myself but the videos they have shown looked really annoying to me.

- the guardian system interupts your VR world which by definition break immersion.
+ the external world is only wireframed in so small details are sure to be lost
+ it is still wired,.. i'm not going to be able to have anyone manage that cord while i play to ensure i don't trip or strangle myself
+ i still don't have a furniture less room of any decent size  i'm willing to dedicate to VR
+ is it really going to be that much better for games?  i mean,.. will all vive games have to take place in an immersive world that is only 15x15 feet or less?  that's a bit less restrictive that having to sit down but still,.. you're playing a sword game have having a great time swinging your sword around battling some demon you go in for the final blow but oh wait,.. top.  back off you're about to hit a wall now...  

i get the appeal of being able to walk around but it just really isn't practical in the current scenario.  it will never be as fun as you think it will be after you finish the first couple of tech demos.  no "real" game is going to be able to use that "chaperon" aspect and still design a fun gameplay experience that lasts more than a few minutes.

not sure what phrase will get coined but vive's chaperon will be limited to a a small walled-garden that will feel is lifeless and limited as a rail-shooters do today.  you want the true open-world sandbox and all you'll get is a sandbox.
at the blue. You should really look into this because it's actually pretty cool. They can have you walk a mile long straight line in vr while in Reality you're walking in circles and not knowing it.

Go Up