Embracer |OT|

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 31, 2023, 04:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Aug 31, 2023, 04:50 PM Last Edit: Sep 11, 2023, 02:12 PM by the-pi-guy
1693499419800.jpg

kitler53

i love buying stuff just to throw that stuff in the garbage!!

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

That sucks.

The new saints row really lost the plot but I was hoping they'd get another chance.

i love buying stuff just to throw that stuff in the garbage!!
Embracer expanded like crazy and then remembered studios cost money after you buy them too, oops.

kitler53

yeah, it's a shame.  i know studios die sometimes but being bought to be almost immediately shut down feel like the worst way to go

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Embracer is likely looking to sell Gearbox

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

I changed this to an OT, there will probably be more news in the coming weeks....

darkknightkryta

That Saudi deal really bit them in the dog.  Gonna throw this out there, but do any business economics work outside of a vacuum?  Like, what Embracer tried makes sense from a university business class, but was a terrible idea for anyone who knows anything about game development.  The fact that they gambled the entirety of their existence on a single deal is extremely baffling.

Legend

Just such a turnaround from their buy everything days. Embracer still owns a lot of valuable things but have they had any big successes? I think Dead Island 2 is their only one.

darkknightkryta

Just such a turnaround from their buy everything days. Embracer still owns a lot of valuable things but have they had any big successes? I think Dead Island 2 is their only one.
I wouldn't be surprised if they liquidate soon.  Poor Lara :(

kitler53

Sep 11, 2023, 04:01 PM Last Edit: Sep 11, 2023, 04:03 PM by kitler53
gearbox is a pretty solid developer.   

i'll assume that MS can't buy them at this time due to ABK.   since this seems like a fire sale i would suggest sony buys them.   they aren't as quality or hype or whatever as bethesda but at least it gives sony something to counter the loss of starfied/fallout/elder scrolls.

and don't grill me saying i am equating these games as identical to boarder lands.   i know they are quite different but they are in the same gist and in a gist that sony isn't currently.

I wouldn't be surprised if they liquidate soon.  Poor Lara :(
agreed.  

uncharted is too close and better than tomb raider these days so it wouldn't be in sony's best interest to acquire them.   but i did like the games and it would be a shame for tomb raider to just up and die.

the-pi-guy

Gearbox may be a little tricky.

They own a number of IP (Borderlands, Homeworld, Duke Nukem) and they're a huge studio.
But they don't have the publishing rights for Borderlands from what I understand.

kitler53

Gearbox may be a little tricky.

They own a number of IP (Borderlands, Homeworld, Duke Nukem) and they're a huge studio.
But they don't have the publishing rights for Borderlands from what I understand.
sony doesn't need it and that only makes the studio cheaper when they don't have any IP.

sony is more than willing to and the seems to be the greatest publisher of fostering new IP.   sony needs the people more than the IP.

Legend

Borderlands movie is coming out and might be big. Doubt Sony would want to buy the studio and not have a way to capitalize on that. They're all about game+movie cross promotion these days.