XBOX Series XS is an Emulation Beast

Started by kitler53, Nov 23, 2020, 02:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-299-xbox-series-s-is-an-emulation-beast-mvg.331526/#post-52281635

to be honest i haven't even watched the video yet but this has my attention.

i would be much more likely to get an xbox is part of the deal was emulation for:
- nes
- snes
- n64
- gamecube
- wii?!?!
- ps2
- ps3?!?!?!?

that would be a hell of a value add for me.  i like my retro Pi but it is kind of janky too.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I thought you didn't want to spend $300, or was that just not to build a computer?  

Actually XSS would be a heck of an emulation machine.  
Xbox games which don't really an emulator on PC.
PS1+PS2+PS3 (PS3 emulation isn't great, but it does support quite a few titles.  The emulator is a work in progress).
Basically any Nintendo game, even Switch. With the caveat that getting Wii Remote input, etc would be more setup than the average console.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>I feel like it should be specified that emulation is okay. Piracy isn&#39;t. &nbsp;<br>

kitler53

I thought you didn't want to spend $300, or was that just not to build a computer?  

Actually XSS would be a heck of an emulation machine.  
Xbox games which don't really an emulator on PC.
PS1+PS2+PS3 (PS3 emulation isn't great, but it does support quite a few titles.  The emulator is a work in progress).
Basically any Nintendo game, even Switch. With the caveat that getting Wii Remote input, etc would be more setup than the average console.

Spoiler for Hidden:

I feel like it should be specified that emulation is okay. Piracy isn't.  

I don't want a PC period.   it's been a decade but i'm still afraid of WoW.  it is my most beloved title ever but it also was the kind of thing that i let disrupt my personal life.  having a PC is not a guarantee i'd play it but it's a bit like saying an alcoholic doesn't have to drink just because they are at a bar...   as an "addict" there are just some situations that are better avoided.

and even if i wasn't an addict $300 is a big ask for just an emulator.   but the series XS isn't just an emulator,.. it's also an xbox.   

now i think XS is largely redundant with playstation. i also thing last gen MS's first party completely sucked.  however, i did want to play ori and some of MS's recent acquisitions certainly have the potential to put out a great game.  i have especially high hopes for fable as the first fable is beloved to me.  i didn't like fable 2 but i fully blame peter molyneux for taking the franchise in the wrong direction.  with the franchise in new hands it could be terrible but it could also be the revival the franchise is desperate need of.

point being,.. if i can pair together my beloved mario games, zelda games, metroid games, and ratchet and clank games with a system that has a decent offering of new games (or even just new to me as is the case with ori) i could start to see enough value in series XS to justify one.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I don't want a PC period.   it's been a decade but i'm still afraid of WoW.  it is my most beloved title ever but it also was the kind of thing that i let disrupt my personal life.  having a PC is not a guarantee i'd play it but it's a bit like saying an alcoholic doesn't have to drink just because they are at a bar...   as an "addict" there are just some situations that are better avoided.
That's fair. Sorry.