Started by Legend, Mar 12, 2018, 11:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Real lightning as long as it's not too loud
Currently it's way too loud!

SWORDF1SH

Currently it's way too loud!
I like the idea of being surrounded by lightning sounds during a battle. Would be cool with headphones. It could be to overpowering though unless there's a specific match mode that you would heavily rely on sound and light to locate people.

Legend

I like the idea of being surrounded by lightning sounds during a battle. Would be cool with headphones. It could be to overpowering though unless there's a specific match mode that you would heavily rely on sound and light to locate people.
lol no it sucks with headphones  :P

I've found sounds for most things but they seem kinda flat and just overall very mediocre. Sound will not be a strong suit of the game, but I need it to at least be good enough that people ignore it.

the-pi-guy

One thing I've wanted to do was figure out how to generate sounds.  

Would be cool if lightning made a different sound pretty much every time or something.  

On a somewhat related note that I was thinking about today.  A while ago I got a really cheap book about procedurally generating trees and plants.  It made no sense when I got it.  Picked it up a few days ago, and it makes perfect sense.  The benefits of learning about grammars.  

Legend

One thing I've wanted to do was figure out how to generate sounds.  

Would be cool if lightning made a different sound pretty much every time or something.  

On a somewhat related note that I was thinking about today.  A while ago I got a really cheap book about procedurally generating trees and plants.  It made no sense when I got it.  Picked it up a few days ago, and it makes perfect sense.  The benefits of learning about grammars.  
I have two lightning sounds that are dynamically mixed to try and provide some variation.

I really wanted to procedurally generate sound for every individual bolt but I wouldn't have had the art skills to make it sound good. Also it'd use more resources to run and would decrease how much lightning I could show.

Legend

I'm starting work on the trailer. Some things aren't finished yet but with my setup that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm recording all the clips as game files and will only be using a video editor to stitch the clips together. If I change things in the game I'll still need to stitch new clips but I will not have to reshoot anything.

I really worry the trailer will suck and not get the correct message across since the game is abstract. Hard, really really hard, to not make it confusing or boring.

Dr. Pezus

I'm starting work on the trailer. Some things aren't finished yet but with my setup that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm recording all the clips as game files and will only be using a video editor to stitch the clips together. If I change things in the game I'll still need to stitch new clips but I will not have to reshoot anything.

I really worry the trailer will suck and not get the correct message across since the game is abstract. Hard, really really hard, to not make it confusing or boring.
You can do it!

Legend

You can do it!
Thank you for the vote of confidence!

My current direction is a fast paced trailer with a lot of cuts. Basically just some rapid fire footage showing lots of specific things. Might have an early version to show tomorrow.

Legend

I spent most of the day fighting with recording software so I'm looking into doing in-game editing. Basically it'd be like clicking a button in the menu and having the entire trailer play as a real time cutscene.

The only thing that I need to program is a method for the theater to jump from one replay to a different replay. This works out since I can use the same system to allow people to join multiplayer matches after they start.

the-pi-guy

I spent most of the day fighting with recording software so I'm looking into doing in-game editing. Basically it'd be like clicking a button in the menu and having the entire trailer play as a real time cutscene.
I never thought of fighting with software.  Do you use a sword or what?

Legend

I never thought of fighting with software.  Do you use a sword or what?
Just punch the computer until the hard drive breaks. Ideally you only break the area of the hard drive with that software, but casualties of war are unavoidable.

SWORDF1SH

Just punch the computer until the hard drive breaks. Ideally you only break the area of the hard drive with that software, but casualties of war are unavoidable.
I can't imagine you getting violent. I could see you lightly tapping your computer and saying "o you". A more exteme case you would point at your computer with a frown and sternly say "darn you!".
No?

Legend

Well I have the first 10-15 seconds of a trailer figured out.

Video codecs suck and hate me so right now I'm just mapping everything out in low quality. Will go back through and reshoot everything once it's fully scripted.

YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO SEE THIS CONTENT

Legend

Awesome I have my process all setup and working. Getting the trailer to run in real time as a cutscene worked 80% of the time but had a few situations that'd totally break it. I was wanting this code to also work for multiplayer matches so that wasn't good enough. Decided to embrace that this code would only be used for the trailer so I made a quick frankenstein script of sorts to generate it.

The code loads up a match replay and then plays it at 4 times speed until it gets to the section I want. Then it sets up the camera and renders it frame by frame to a file, and then jumps to the next replay. Watching it in real time makes it look very bad but the produced video is perfectly edited and has the correct framerate. I'll then do a second pass that records the audio in a similar fashion.

I know this sounds like a lot of extra work just to make a trailer, but it'll definitely save a lot of time!

Dr. Pezus

Well I have the first 10-15 seconds of a trailer figured out.

Video codecs suck and hate me so right now I'm just mapping everything out in low quality. Will go back through and reshoot everything once it's fully scripted.

YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO SEE THIS CONTENT
Eye catching!

What music will you use?

Awesome I have my process all setup and working. Getting the trailer to run in real time as a cutscene worked 80% of the time but had a few situations that'd totally break it. I was wanting this code to also work for multiplayer matches so that wasn't good enough. Decided to embrace that this code would only be used for the trailer so I made a quick frankenstein script of sorts to generate it.

The code loads up a match replay and then plays it at 4 times speed until it gets to the section I want. Then it sets up the camera and renders it frame by frame to a file, and then jumps to the next replay. Watching it in real time makes it look very bad but the produced video is perfectly edited and has the correct framerate. I'll then do a second pass that records the audio in a similar fashion.

I know this sounds like a lot of extra work just to make a trailer, but it'll definitely save a lot of time!
Well trailers are important. I'm sure most devs put a lot of work in to them too

Go Up