Do you have an inner monologue?

Started by Legend, Jan 13, 2024, 01:04 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I don't know. If it's described as "thinking aloud" but not moving your mouth, then I definitely do.

However, it's so often described as words just appearing in your head and I definitely don't have that.

the-pi-guy

Jan 13, 2024, 01:59 AM Last Edit: Jan 13, 2024, 02:03 AM by the-pi-guy
It's fascinating how different people think, and we have no idea.
I have an inner monologue/inner dialogue/however one wants to describe it.  Almost all the time. It's hard to not think. I hear a default voice, but I can vividly imagine other voices with tones and whatnot. Like watching a movie. 

Aphantasia is pretty fascinating stuff.

I have a pretty vivid imagination as well.

Legend

I definitely don't have aphantasia. Imagining images, sounds, animations, touches, etc. is all super trivial. Often times when programing I'll think spatially and sort out the setup in my head.

I'm a slow reader because I read every word "aloud" in my head.

BananaKing

It's fascinating how different people think, and we have no idea.
I have an inner monologue/inner dialogue/however one wants to describe it.  Almost all the time. It's hard to not think. I hear a default voice, but I can vividly imagine other voices with tones and whatnot. Like watching a movie.  

Aphantasia is pretty fascinating stuff.

I have a pretty vivid imagination as well.
I'm pretty much the same way

Yeah I find this topic fascinating as well. For a long time I thought everybody was this way. Turns out it's not

nnodley

I definitely don't have aphantasia. Imagining images, sounds, animations, touches, etc. is all super trivial. Often times when programing I'll think spatially and sort out the setup in my head.

This is almost exactly as I am. I definitely read every word aloud in my head as I read. 

Everything is always my voice. Even when I repeat something that someone else says, it's always my "voice".

Dr. Pezus

Hehe same here

Legend

This is almost exactly as I am. I definitely read every word aloud in my head as I read.  

Everything is always my voice. Even when I repeat something that someone else says, it's always my "voice".
Ah no man, you got to do different voices! Like you'll read a trump quote and you don't read it in his voice?

nnodley

Ah no man, you got to do different voices! Like you'll read a trump quote and you don't read it in his voice?
I'd say for me it's usually my voice emulating the voice of someone else. Really distinct voices might be close to how they actually sound but usually not. For me at least

BananaKing

Now y'all got me wondering if I do my voice emulating other people's voices, or I do different voices.

the-pi-guy

I guess here's a question.

If you guys are thinking of a scene from a movie/TV show/game, is it your voice or the character's voice?

I can pretty vividly imagine Saul/Jimmy from Better Call Saul and hear his voice and his mannerisms.

Legend

Yeah or if a song's stuck in your head. I'd assume most people hear the singer.

nnodley

It's a hard thing to kind of distinguish. Like I feel like the more I try to imagine a voice it's that persons voice but for me it doesn't feel like an inner monologue. I've been doing it quite a bit the past day or so to see if I can tell if I'm actually hearing the voice of someone or if it's me emulating it. It really feels like me emulating the voice but it's not quite exact.

It's super weird to think about. Lol

BananaKing

It's a hard thing to kind of distinguish. Like I feel like the more I try to imagine a voice it's that persons voice but for me it doesn't feel like an inner monologue. I've been doing it quite a bit the past day or so to see if I can tell if I'm actually hearing the voice of someone or if it's me emulating it. It really feels like me emulating the voice but it's not quite exact.

It's super weird to think about. Lol
I am pretty certain I can hear the voices of others. But when I think of it I get confused. It's a bit weird. Also fascinating though

Legend

Jan 30, 2024, 10:27 AM Last Edit: Jan 30, 2024, 10:34 AM by Legend
On a different note but still about subjective mental stuff, I don't know if I get migraines or not. I assume I just get bad regular headaches but every time I google it, it's hard to tell how other people's descriptions compare to mine.

I luckily haven't had a major one in maybe a decade since I learned to take tylenol and rest when the symptoms first start. As a kid it'd be debilitating pulsing pain originating at the back/top of the neck and strong sensitivity to lights, but none of the other migraine things like nausea that I can remember.

BananaKing

On a different note but still about subjective mental stuff, I don't know if I get migraines or not. I assume I just get bad regular headaches but every time I google it, it's hard to tell how other people's descriptions compare to mine.

I luckily haven't had a major one in maybe a decade since I learned to take tylenol and rest when the symptoms first start. As a kid it'd be debilitating pulsing pain originating at the back/top of the neck and strong sensitivity to lights, but none of the other migraine things like nausea that I can remember.
Sounds like a migraine to me. I don't think everyone who gets migraines has nausea