Is Taylor Swift the biggest movie theater star?

Started by Legend, Sep 26, 2023, 02:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Her movie release on October 13. Might be the biggest opening of the year.

BananaKing

Legend

kitler53

my wife, daughter, and a few of her friends are going.   they are very excited.

...but it's not a "movie".   it's a concert.  no matter how many tickets she sells she's not a movie star.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

my wife, daughter, and a few of her friends are going.   they are very excited.

...but it's not a "movie".   it's a concert.  no matter how many tickets she sells she's not a movie star.
Updated the thread title.

Yeah it's just a recording of her concert but it's crazy how much this movie will probably make. No concert film has been this big.

kitler53

Updated the thread title.

Yeah it's just a recording of her concert but it's crazy how much this movie will probably make. No concert film has been this big.
lol, the nuance in that thread title is epic.   ...but that bolded part is soo true.   recording a concert and putting it on disc or streaming whatever has been a very niche market so far.   i don't have any numbers but i have to believe she's at least an order of magnitude more successful than the previous biggest recorded concert.   maybe even 2 orders of magntude higher.  

my wife and daughter couldn't get opening week tickets because they were sold out.   oct 22nd was the earliest they could get tickets for which i'll take as an indication this could have pretty decent legs.

nnodley

ewwww

Never could see the appeal of her.  I mean she's for sure talented, but I personally don't think she's that great.

Dr. Pezus

ewwww

Never could see the appeal of her.  I mean she's for sure talented, but I personally don't think she's that great.
Lol same. I have no idea how

Legend

ewwww

She was always huge, but she exploded in popularity recently.

SWORDF1SH

Don't get me started on Taylor Swift.  My wife is obsessed with her and she managed to get tickets for when she is in the UK next year and I'm being forced to go. Apparently I'm a Swifty now  :(

nnodley

Oh man the uproar of my Facebook friends when they couldn't get tickets when they went on sale for Indianapolis. Lol

SWORDF1SH

Oh man the uproar of my Facebook friends when they couldn't get tickets when they went on sale for Indianapolis. Lol
My wife was lucky because she bought the album so you get priority to the first allocation of tickets. Even then you are far from guaranteed a ticket

kitler53

ewwww

i mean, i think the appeal is easy to see.  her music is good and she's attractive.  there's really no wonder why people like her.

...i think the more accurate question is why does she have such broad appeal.   in a world where there are literally tens of thousands of artists you could be listening too why soo much concentration on her.    frankly, i dunno.   but i like her too.  not my favorite,.. i'm not spending 5k to see her in concert but i wouldn't turn down reasonably priced tickets either.   i watched her netflix special.    while i'm not going to the theatre to see her "movie" it's not because i don't want to go it is because wife/kid want to make this a female thing.    

maybe that's my answer to my previous question.   she's viewed as a symbol of feminism.  a massive success in a male dominated world and something to be inspired by.

SWORDF1SH

i mean, i think the appeal is easy to see.  her music is good and she's attractive.  there's really no wonder why people like her.

...i think the more accurate question is why does she have such broad appeal.   in a world where there are literally tens of thousands of artists you could be listening too why soo much concentration on her.    frankly, i dunno.   but i like her too.  not my favorite,.. i'm not spending 5k to see her in concert but i wouldn't turn down reasonably priced tickets either.   i watched her netflix special.    while i'm not going to the theatre to see her "movie" it's not because i don't want to go it is because wife/kid want to make this a female thing.    

maybe that's my answer to my previous question.   she's viewed as a symbol of feminism.  a massive success in a male dominated world and something to be inspired by.

And she keeps her gob shut when it comes to politics and she only really speaks out when somebody crosses her, so there is no reason to hate her unless you're a Kanye fan.

About tickets, we managed to get 2 tickets for under £300. My wife was entitled for up to 4 tickets but none of her her friends are interested in Taylor Swift and I'm not enough of a bag to resell them for a profit.

kitler53

And she keeps her gob shut when it comes to politics and she only really speaks out when somebody crosses her, so there is no reason to hate her unless you're a Kanye fan.

About tickets, we managed to get 2 tickets for under £300. My wife was entitled for up to 4 tickets but none of her her friends are interested in Taylor Swift and I'm not enough of a bag to resell them for a profit.
@top - not really.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/08/taylor-swift-instagram-post-endorsement-democrats-tennessee

In the past I've been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions. I feel very differently about that now. I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country. I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG.

I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent.
this was made with an endorsement of 2 democrats.

not sure how she escaped conservative's cancel culture fury on that one.  i thought for sure the conservatives would abandon her after that but it seemed to be the opposite.   i think this moment actually increased her popularity especially among women.  only men seemed to be outraged by her statement/endorcement which probably didn't hurt her much because she's a very female idol.  

@bottom - like,.. that's noble but dumb of you.   at least in my area the reseller's profits where in the thousands per ticket.   really easy money.