The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Ridiculously
0 (0%)
Very
1 (20%)
Somewhat
0 (0%)
Not at all
0 (0%)
Depends on my mood
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Go Down

the-pi-guy

will all vive games have to take place in an immersive world that is only 15x15 feet or less?
They don't "have" to.  
Unless something changes, Vive will be compatible with all OR experiences.  (Even "OR exclusives" should be modifiable to support Vive.)

That's also not really the purpose of the camera.  I'd honestly be content with playing something with Skyrim, and standing up (without physically walking around)  and being able to slice bad guys virtually.

Also what Tacos said is correct.  It absolutely works.  I'm still not sure how well it works, but far better than one would expect.  

There's this gif of the real world walking vs. virtual world, and it is fairly impressive.  The real world mostly stays in the middle circle, despite the virtual world being much much bigger.

The middle circle though is still gigantic, it's about 20m.  It's much smaller than the virtual world, but still much much much bigger than anything we'll see indoors.

I do wonder if there is something that can be done to make it much smaller.  

kitler53

They don't "have" to.  
Unless something changes, Vive will be compatible with all OR experiences.  (Even "OR exclusives" should be modifiable to support Vive.)

That's also not really the purpose of the camera.  I'd honestly be content with playing something with Skyrim, and standing up (without physically walking around)  and being able to slice bad guys virtually.

Also what Tacos said is correct.  It absolutely works.  I'm still not sure how well it works, but far better than one would expect.  

There's this gif of the real world walking vs. virtual world, and it is fairly impressive.  The real world mostly stays in the middle circle, despite the virtual world being much much bigger.

The middle circle though is still gigantic, it's about 20m.  It's much smaller than the virtual world, but still much much much bigger than anything we'll see indoors.

I do wonder if there is something that can be done to make it much smaller.  
20 m is absolutely massive.  Subtracting my couch and tv stand I have 5x7 feet available to stand/walk in my game room with is actually quite a bit bigger than in my condo which was about 3.5x4 feet.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

20 m is absolutely massive.  Subtracting my couch and tv stand I have 5x7 feet available to stand/walk in my game room with is actually quite a bit bigger than in my condo which was about 3.5x4 feet.
Thanks for agreeing with me. 

kitler53

Thanks for agreeing with me.  

Lol. 

I get that Vive can do anything that OR can do and will share the same games.  I'm just saying vives advantage of "movement" is greatly overhyped and mostly impractical in real homes.   ..and since the vr market is going to be so small for a while I don't see any third parties developing something that uses that advantage anyways because than they can't port to OR or psvr. 

And lol at the thought valve actually makes some games to go with Vive.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

DerNebel

Btw. maybe I just missed this but I didn't know that Vizioneck was rumoured to be VR compatible.

Max King of the Wild

that would be ~73,000 a month or 876,000 a year.

if that's true then i can see why shipments have sold out and even it if remains sold out for a year,.. less than a million in the first year isn't at all impressive even if it "meets or exceeds expectations".
That'siif we assume production 24 hours a day. Is that normal?

Raven

Btw. maybe I just missed this but I didn't know that Vizioneck was rumoured to be VR compatible.
It's also rumored to ever release.

Mmm_fish_tacos

That'siif we assume production 24 hours a day. Is that normal?

It depends. Many do others don't.  

Someone tweet Palmer and ask him if production is running around the clock.

the-pi-guy

It depends. Many do others don't.  

Someone tweet Palmer and ask him if production is running around the clock.
Don't think it's a question we could ask.  The 100 units comment sounded like it wasn't really something they should have shared.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

Jan 09, 2016, 03:10 PM Last Edit: Jan 09, 2016, 03:43 PM by Mmm_fish_tacos
NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Diggin this quote from a Time reporter that tried CV1 at CES:
But the VR experience that moved me to tears was Toy Box on Oculus Rift. A virtual sandbox where you can play with all kinds of toys, this game lets two players interact in the same virtual space simultaneously. Each player wears their own Oculus Rift headset and headphones, with a controller in both hands. From there, anything goes: You can take target practice with a laser gun, get in a firefight with one another’s toy tanks, or pull apart a robot doll and wear its parts.
 Then my playmate, Erin, shot me with a shrink ray. Suddenly, not only were all the toys enormous to me, but Erin’s avatar was looming over me like a hulking giant. Her voice even changed as it poured through my headphones, entering my head with a deep, slow tone. And for a moment, I was a child again, with this giant person lovingly playing with me. It gave me such a profound perspective on what it must be like to be my son, that I started to cry inside the headset. It was a pure and beautiful experience that will reshape my relationship with him moving forward. I was vulnerable to my giant playmate, yet felt completely safe.

http://time.com/4172998/virtual-real...-htc-vive-ces/

I'm so hyped for this .

Don't think it's a question we could ask.  The 100 units comment sounded like it wasn't really something they should have shared.  
Well I sent a tweet out anyway, let's see if he says anything.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

This is a good article worth a read. The snippets I post came from this.  

Virtual Reality at CES Moved Me to Tears

Mmm_fish_tacos

Mmm_fish_tacos

the-pi-guy

Posting this to watch later.
t=57:45
is where they say how many rifts they are making.  

the-pi-guy

Getting a lot of news about VR stuff, it&#39;s very exciting. &nbsp;<br><br>I wonder if we&#39;ll get info on StarVR (ever)! &nbsp;

Go Up