VizionEck's campaign update: the challenge of an in game language, teaser image included

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 09:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

Legend

How does it work and how do you read it?

Do you mean "it" the language?

It works suprisingly similar to English with all things considered. In order to create the language I thought about how it would actually evolve on their alien planet. These creatures have different circumstances but they'd still need a way to communicate non face to face. Creating cave paintings worked for humans and similar drawings/ visual creations worked for the aliens. Then naturally these drawings would start having similarities between drawers. An elphent's depiction would begin to become standard for example. At this point the language has just started but it dictates the core of future language systems: objects/things are classified in to standard things. Human language evolved one direction at this point, while my alien language went another due to different needs.

So the language works by roughly classifying infinitly complex concepts/objects/things in to standardized visual elements, just like all written languages on Earth. How it does that is just incredibly different than any language on Earth.

You don't read it left to right.

Or right to left.

Or top to bottom.

Or bottom to top.

It's much much much more complex than just taking a human language and making some changes ;)

darkknightkryta

Legend

You should put some kind of rosetta stone.

It's important that players will eventually decode it, yeah.

I mean if the top  "language people" at the time couldn't decode that language without the rosetta stone, then no way could gamers decode my language without a rosetta stone!

I won't be lazy and just have a wall of text in multiple languages, but yeah I'll put in some huge helpers.

darkknightkryta

It's important that players will eventually decode it, yeah.

I mean if the top  "language people" at the time couldn't decode that language without the rosetta stone, then no way could gamers decode my language without a rosetta stone!

I won't be lazy and just have a wall of text in multiple languages, but yeah I'll put in some huge helpers.

Maybe Final Fantasy X style where you get "primers" that decode a letter at a time?

Legend

Maybe Final Fantasy X style where you get "primers" that decode a letter at a time?

The language doesn't really have letters so that won't work.

I'm going more of the FEZ route with certain aspects of the language explained in certain areas.

the-pi-guy

Language as a whole is quite fascinating, but this looks exquisite! 
A pattern of lines making up letters to make up a pattern we call words to make up a pattern we call a sentence.
Which is kinda cool by itself, but the understanding of language is something even cooler! 

tl;dr:  I'm excited to learn what (if anything ;) ) does this mean and how it works. 

Legend

Language as a whole is quite fascinating, but this looks exquisite! 
A pattern of lines making up letters to make up a pattern we call words to make up a pattern we call a sentence.
Which is kinda cool by itself, but the understanding of language is something even cooler! 

tl;dr:  I'm excited to learn what (if anything ;) ) does this mean and how it works. 

Well thanks! I'm spending hundreds of hours on just the language so hopefully some people enjoy discovering it.

7H3

"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

kitler53

Fun thing happened just about a week ago.

I lost the entire language!!! :(

Yup. Have no fear though. I'm rebuilding it and it's better than ever. One of the things I finished yesterday is a "written text generator." I'm still a ways off from getting the alien "dictionary" remade so here is the written text generator producing a random result.

I'm also free to answer some basic questions about the language if you have any.

it looks like amazing

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

it looks like amazing

Surprisingly kitler, you are not the first person to say that.

Step up yo game.

kitler53

Suprisingly kitler, you are not the first person to say that.

Step up yo game.

edit: screw it.  i can't remember how to do this right.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up