Tesla self driving later this year, robotaxis in 2020

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2019, 06:45 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I didn't realise just how much fsd had progressed in the last year.

Xevross

Robotaxis will revolutionise travel when they arrive, eventually they'll be much cheaper than regular taxis and they'll be so much easier. The future is coming!

nnodley

can't fudgy wait!

Legend

Apr 23, 2019, 03:19 PM Last Edit: Apr 23, 2019, 03:36 PM by Legend

Picture of the new drive computers in Tesla. They have two chips running in parallel so that there is redundancy. The chips are custom made and primarily support a "two core neural network processor" if you want to refer to it as that.

All Teslas currently being manufactured have this computer and are fully hardware complete for self driving. Slightly older cars can go in and be upgraded to this computer for full self driving.

Since they have so many cars out in the real world with this hardware, they can train the neural networks off real world data. An example they gave was a car with a bike strapped on to the back. The neural net detected it as two seperate objects, so they sent out a request to cars on the road for similar examples and could easily correct the label.

Robotaxis will revolutionise travel when they arrive, eventually they'll be much cheaper than regular taxis and they'll be so much easier. The future is coming!
Tesla seems to be going all in on them. Tesla owners will be able to register their cars for the service so they can make extra money on the side (like Uber) so once the software is ready and governments have approved it, robotaxis could basically become a thing overnight. Additionally Tesla plans to distribute their own cars for the service that would be robotaxis 24/7. Since they are electric they can cost less per mile too.

My only reservation is that I think it'll take a bit of time for people to become comfortable with it. It's one thing to be sitting in the driver's seat of your own car and seeing that the tech really does work, but it's another to truly not have someone their as a backup.

can't fudgy wait!
Would you let your car taxi people around when you don't need it?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwmd6tIhsad/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=v1wjo72e4mcn

nnodley

Would you let your car taxi people around when you don't need it?

Hmm, not sure.  It has an interior camera above the rearview mirror and if i would be able to always be checking the cameras to make sure nothing is being done to it i might.  It would be a nice easy way to make some extra cash.  

What would be nice is to have one of the cheaper model 3's that is always being used as a taxi and have one i drive and not use as a taxi

Legend