Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Oscars are tonight. Who do you all expect to win?

I've seen Black Panther, A star is born, Bohemian Rhapsody, and BlackkKlansman for best picture nominees. BlackkKlansman was my favorite but I expect Roma to win since it has all the buzz.

Dr. Pezus

Feb 24, 2019, 11:31 PM Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019, 12:04 AM by Dr. Pezus
Oscars are tonight. Who do you all expect to win?

I've seen Black Panther, A star is born, Bohemian Rhapsody, and BlackkKlansman for best picture nominees. BlackkKlansman was my favorite but I expect Roma to win since it has all the buzz.
I mean Roma is good but it's kinda boring   8) .

I'd expect that to win though. Rami Malek should win best actor.

Dr. Pezus

Green Book won! Roma got best director tho

Legend

Green Book won! Roma got best director tho
Green Book looked good so I'm happy with that win. In general it was nice that everything was spread out and nothing swept the awards. I managed to only predict like 9 of them lol.

Xevross

lol Era looks so salty. I guess I should read about Green Book's apparent racism somewhere else, in case its just Era being Era. My mum really liked that film anyway. But Bohemian Rhapsody winning best editing and best sound editing is just hilarious, hardly any films deserved it less.

And yay the MCU finally has an Oscar, and it has two in fact. Black Panther absolutely deserves best costume design and production design, so bravo.

So, so happy for Olivia Colman, I love her. Nothing like a bit of girl on girl!

the-pi-guy

lol Era looks so salty. I guess I should read about Green Book's apparent racism somewhere else, in case its just Era being Era. My mum really liked that film anyway.
I just did.  
Between Era and other sites.  

It's not that it's a horribly racist film ("plenty of nonracist people will enjoy it"), it just makes a hero out of a racist cop who "isn't too racist to take a black man's money".  And someone said it pushes the "I'm not racist, I have a black friend" argument.

Dr. Pezus

Dr. Pezus

lol Era looks so salty. I guess I should read about Green Book's apparent racism somewhere else, in case its just Era being Era. My mum really liked that film anyway. But Bohemian Rhapsody winning best editing and best sound editing is just hilarious, hardly any films deserved it less.

And yay the MCU finally has an Oscar, and it has two in fact. Black Panther absolutely deserves best costume design and production design, so bravo.

So, so happy for Olivia Colman, I love her. Nothing like a bit of girl on girl!
Black Panther actually got three Oscars lulz

the-pi-guy

He forgot best original score .

Xevross

Feb 26, 2019, 06:21 PM Last Edit: Feb 26, 2019, 06:24 PM by Xevross

Man this is gonna be a great movie.

Oh cool. I just read on the BBC story that BP made history with two awards going to black people for the first time and they didn't mention BP won another one. 3 Oscars is awesome, and probably deserved. Score and costumes are the strong points of the film.

It ain't the best MCU film, but it deserves an Oscar the most, none of the other MCU films excel in an Oscar category like BP does with the ones it won.

Xevross

In other news, insecure manbabies were review bombing captain marvel on rotten tomatoes. Maybe due to this or maybe a separate decision, RT removed reviews before release date and all you can do now is press if you want to see. Of course, the manbabies are even more upset now and its hilarious.

Captain Marvel is sounding really great, every social media impression has been positive so far. I'm hyped as fudge.

Dr. Pezus

In other news, insecure manbabies were review bombing captain marvel on rotten tomatoes. Maybe due to this or maybe a separate decision, RT removed reviews before release date and all you can do now is press if you want to see. Of course, the manbabies are even more upset now and its hilarious.

Captain Marvel is sounding really great, every social media impression has been positive so far. I'm hyped as fudge.
Official or user reviews?

Xevross

Official or user reviews?
User, obviously ::)

Legend

I rented Disney's nutcracker from the library. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting but it was still fairly bad. Some of the scenes were extremely creepy and must have given nightmares to a bunch of kids.

Xevross

Mar 07, 2019, 01:23 PM Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 01:40 PM by Xevross
Captain Marvel opens worldwide this weekend (everywhere except Japan) by virtue of this, expect one of the biggest opening weekends of all time.

Film has a very good 83% on RT: Captain Marvel (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes so hopefully legs will be good too. How much money the film is going to make is anyone's guess right now, but $1bn looks extremely possible.

We have some international numbers coming in and so far its matching or besting Black Panther everywhere, which is great. China is a big variable. Pre-sales are huge (second best in MCU) but word of mouth might be bad. Opening in China could reach $100M, which would be brilliant. If it does that then breaking into the all time WW top 5 openings is on the table.

Domestic opening still could be anywhere, but anything $150M+ would be fantastic. Top MCU openings:

Infinity War $257M
Avengers $207M
Black Panther $202M
Ultron $191M
Civil War $179M
Iron Man 3 $174M
GOTG2 $146M
Thor Ragnorok $122M

Besides Black Panther it should easily be the biggest solo MCU debut.

Go Up