Apple car has pitfalls but leverages competency

Started by 7H3, Feb 21, 2015, 06:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/02/20/apple-moving-into-automotive-space-has-pitfalls-but-leverages-tech-competency/23760817/

SAN FRANCISCO - The Apple Car debate couldn't be more polarizing.

On the one hand, rumors that the $700-billion personal tech giant may be getting into the automotive manufacturing business causes vigorous head scratching.

On the other, the prospect of an iCar by 2020 syncs perfectly with the world-dominating vision of a company that redefined the way we think about music players, smartphones, tablets and soon watches.

So why not cars, too? Put simply, it's the shark scenario: keep swimming forward or die.

"If you're Apple, your greatest fear is missing out on what's next," says Alan Deutschman, author of The Second Coming of Steve Jobs. "With all the talk swirling around Google and even Uber (getting into autonomous cars), it's clear that the public can see the appeal of high-tech cars, and Apple wants a part of that."

If you missed last week's maelstrom of speculation, it boils down to a variety of anonymously sourced reports that leaned on LinkedIn data about Apple hires from companies such as Tesla, as well as a lawsuit brought by battery-maker A123 that Apple has been poaching its top talent.

Voices from the automotive world quickly raised the specter of ambitious but failed runs at starting car companies from scratch, most famously Henrik Fisker, John DeLorean and Preston Tucker.

a lot more interesting stuff in the article which is fairly long. I'd have to say a smart device to connect to my car instead of a smart car is more appealing at this point in time for me... and there are quite a few options out there for that already.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Gosh apple without Steve is just crazy.

7H3

I personally like their computers, but that is about it
not a fan of any of their other products
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend