Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I just wanna know if there's any weird alterations to the way physics function if you were to blast off towards the center of the universe, in essence slowing down. Just would be interesting if matter reacts differently if it isn't moving.

Especially if it was also cooled to absolute zero.

Everything is moving.

You have to remember the spacetime.

@absolute zero

To reach near absolute zero they use lazers. That way they can actually cool the particles by slowing them down, instead of cooling them like a fridge. Even if the reached a perfectly stationary state in our three dimensions, they'd still be going forward in time thus gravity and other forces instantly heat them up.

darkknightkryta

The universe would in theory be 0K if there wasn't that background radiation.  I think turning hydrogen into a solid state would get you closest to 0k, but you're right, not at it.

Raven

In order to achieve an actual absolute zero state it would either require the entire universe to stop moving even at the quantum level (clearly not desirable) or create a type of pocket universe that is untouched by our own until it is willed to be interacted with but that may also make it impossible to actually measure its temperature since the moment you observe it the pocket would become affected and thus heat back up. So it would still only be a theoretical temperature. It would require quite abstract and frankly unheard of means to be able to exist and be observed without being affected.

nnodley

This is actually how space travel works in Star Trek.  As I've stated, you can't move any object at the speed of light, but that doesn't mean space can't.  So if you bend space you create a warp bubble around an object where space is moving faster than light, but your object is essentially stationary.

On another note, I seem to recall Light being at C in a vacuum regardless of relativity.

Yeah you stated it way better than I did.  It makes way more sense how you say it.  I just wish this stuff could be created in my lifetime, but sadly I doubt it will. 

nnodley

There is no center of the universe :O

Well if you go off the theory that beyond the edge of the universe that man can see is another universe/dimension then technically I would think there would be.  Thats if there really is an end to our universe where another universe begins. I just read about it a few days ago, but I could have totally not understood what they meant.  But those theories are hard to grasp and believe for me.  Would be awesome if we could get loads of proof about multiverses.  It's so interesting to read about though.

darkknightkryta

In order to achieve an actual absolute zero state it would either require the entire universe to stop moving even at the quantum level (clearly not desirable) or create a type of pocket universe that is untouched by our own until it is willed to be interacted with but that may also make it impossible to actually measure its temperature since the moment you observe it the pocket would become affected and thus heat back up. So it would still only be a theoretical temperature. It would require quite abstract and frankly unheard of means to be able to exist and be observed without being affected.

Space works differently, in that it should be 0K.  The universe doesn't move in the same way objects do, it just expands.  The only reason why it's not at 0K is because there's still the radiation from the big bang.  This temperature is also decreasing and is around 3K right as we speak.

Raven

Space works differently, in that it should be 0K.  The universe doesn't move in the same way objects do, it just expands.  The only reason why it's not at 0K is because there's still the radiation from the big bang.  This temperature is also decreasing and is around 3K right as we speak.

There is an area in space at 1k. What I'm saying is that right now, barring what appears to be inevitable for everything in the universe, absolute zero is impossible. There is no area in space this has happened and is not within our means to achieve. If absolute zero were achieved now naturally or artificially the scientific community would probably slam on the panic button. Absolute zero will always be a theoretical temperature because measuring something causes it to be affected and if everything in the universe hit absolute zero there would be no way to measure anything.

nnodley

Question: So if time basically stops when you are traveling at the speed of light, would that essentially mean that if you went back to earth after say 20 days of space travel for you would time on earth be farther ahead in time than you would think?  So that 20 days to you was say 6 months on earth?  THIS STUFF HURTS MY BRAIN!!

Mmm_fish_tacos

Xevross

nnodley

We should have a sicence thread.

Yeah this stuff is so interesting even though I don't understand it at all.

And yeah this thread would be good as a science thread.

Legend

Question: So if time basically stops when you are traveling at the speed of light, would that essentially mean that if you went back to earth after say 20 days of space travel for you would time on earth be farther ahead in time than you would think?  So that 20 days to you was say 6 months on earth?  THIS STUFF HURTS MY BRAIN!!

Yes, most likely.

Time dilation is weird.

I personally don't believe it's understood enough to definitively state things like that.

Say we have two objects in deep space. The difference in speed between the two is .9 the speed of light, or just really really fast.

Which object is the one experiencing time dilation, and which is the object no experiencing it?

nnodley

Yes, most likely.

Time dilation is weird.

I personally don't believe it's understood enough to definitively state things like that.

Say we have two objects in deep space. The difference in speed between the two is .9 the speed of light, or just really really fast.

Which object is the one experiencing time dilation, and which is the object no experiencing it?

Well isn't time dilation something that supposedly happens to all objects once in deep space?  So wouldn't both be experiencing it, but just one would experience it more than the other?

Go Up