Science General Discussion

Started by Legend, Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Sep 02, 2014, 07:17 PM Last Edit: Apr 21, 2015, 12:12 AM by Legend
And is this a trick question? Hmmmmmm...

Xevross

ethomaz

Light seems to move like a slideshow in for my eyes... so yeap.

kitler53

yes,. but the "sonic" boom in your eyes would cause the universe to collapse.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

Why wouldn't objects be able to travel faster than the speed of light?  Who says that the speed of light is as fast as anything can travel at? Just because we can't get anything to travel faster doesn't mean they can't. 

fireburn95

And is this a trick question? Hmmmmmm...

No, when a particle reaches the speed of light, the energy from all that creates new matter. E=MC²

Mass proportional to Energy. Increase energy of a reaction (by increasing the speed in the levels of speed of light) and you create a new matter.

Obviously, the only objects we can make achieve speed of light is particles like neurons and other particle physics.

Short answer no, because anything that reaches speed of light essentially creates new matter from energy.

7H3

"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

Sure things can. It's just that only light can travel at the speed of light in this universe.

Legend

I can't believe not a single one of you brought up that speed is relative.

Also e=mc2 is not correct when an object has momentum.

7H3

I can't believe not a single one of you brought up that speed is relative.

Also e=mc2 is not correct when an object has momentum.

relative to what? distance/time? or that light travels at different speeds in another vizion of the universe?
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

DD_Bwest

if someone travels 3/4 the speed of light in one direction,  and someone else travels 3/4 the speed of light in the other direction,   relative to each other, is one traveling faster than the speed of light?

i cant remember the answer lol but i know ive seen it somewhere before.

and also i believe conventional science tells us no, but there is theory about shrinking the space infront lol but that could have been discovery blowing smoke out its dog lol

nnodley

if someone travels 3/4 the speed of light in one direction,  and someone else travels 3/4 the speed of light in the other direction,   relative to each other, is one traveling faster than the speed of light?

i cant remember the answer lol but i know ive seen it somewhere before.

and also i believe conventional science tells us no, but there is theory about shrinking the space infront lol but that could have been discovery blowing smoke out its dog lol

Yeah apparently nasa is working on creating a warp drive that could essential fold space time in front and behind them to propel them faster than speed of light.  I don't think it necessarily would be going faster than speed of light though.  nuggets so confusing to me.

And the first part to your post is so confusing.  Makes no sense to me.  I'd be even more confused if the answer was yes one would be going fast than speed of light. 

DD_Bwest

Yeah apparently nasa is working on creating a warp drive that could essential fold space time in front and behind them to propel them faster than speed of light.  I don't think it necessarily would be going faster than speed of light though.  nuggets so confusing to me.

And the first part to your post is so confusing.  Makes no sense to me.  I'd be even more confused if the answer was yes one would be going fast than speed of light. 
Well in conventional physics, if im driving a car down a highway at 50,   and someone else is coming the other way at 50,   the speed relative to eachother is 100.   so what happends if you crank those speeds up to a point where you get a number faster than the speed of light?

edit: :(  no answer yet..   Would Time dilation play into some effect?

since no one is answering im gonna watch The elegant universe lol pretty sure ive seen it explained in it

Legend

relative to what? distance/time? or that light travels at different speeds in another vizion of the universe?

Speed itself is relative. Like right now I'm going 0 mph relative to the Earth, but say 30,000 mph relative to the Sun. Without a reference point, you can't have speed.

So you could say you're going 30 trillion miles per second right now.

Go Up