The Kilogram has been changed forever

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 16, 2018, 10:36 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

The kilogram is forever changed. Here's why that matters.

That fundamental constant is woven into the fabric of the universe," says Stephan Schlamminger, leader of the National Institute of Standards and Technology team who, along with an international cohort of scientists, worked to refine Planck's constant for the kilogram redefinition. Most importantly, this value will remain the same for all time, no matter the location.

Things will never be the same!  

Legend

Dr. Pezus

So I'm now 50 kg instead of 90kg or something?

Xevross

darkknightkryta

I haven't looked into this, but did they screw up Planck's constant the first time around?

the-pi-guy

I haven't looked into this, but did they screw up Planck's constant the first time around?
Why do you ask?  

Legend

No.

Previously the kilogram was arbitrarily defined as 1 kilogram=the weight of a metal object labeled 1 kilogram.

darkknightkryta

Why do you ask?  
They mention Plank there in the captions. Thought a Kilogram was based on Planck's constant somehow. Kinda like how the meter is based off of light.

the-pi-guy

They mention Plank there in the captions. Thought a Kilogram was based on Planck's constant somehow. Kinda like how the meter is based off of light.
What Legend said.  The kilogram had absolutely nothing to do with Planck's constant.  

The kilogram was defined by a piece of metal that looks like this:Image result for kilogram

Other countries were given replicas that were the same mass.  

The problem is, that the masses changed.  So when they were brought back together, the masses were no longer the same.

To fix this issue, it's being based on some universal constants instead of a piece of metal, basically.