Report: Microsoft to release a disc-less Xbox One in 2019

Started by Legend, Nov 16, 2018, 05:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Report: Microsoft to release a disc-less Xbox One in 2019 | ResetEra

Read the article:

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/192184/microsofts-building-a-disc-less-xbox-one-for-release-in-2019

The Scarlett devices are Microsoft's next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console. And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

In addition to the new console, there will be a 'disc-to-digital' program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

The goal with the new console is to lower the price point for the hardware. Currently, it costs about $299 to buy into the Xbox One family of devices, Microsoft is looking to lower that price by possibly as much as $100; the new console price point is expected to be $200 or less.Click to expand...

the-pi-guy

The worst.  

Oh well 2020 here we come.  

Dr. Pezus

Too little too late

Xevross

Seems fine, as long as there's still discs in next gen.

Also looks like both MS and Sony are going for 2020 then, very good.

kitler53

i really wonder how much of an audience there is for a discless home console.  

realistically i am the target audience for this.  my game library is 100% digital.  netflx/amazon streaming is a vast majority of the tv content i watch.  and even with this i would still prefer a disc based console next gen because i occasionally watch dvd/blu rays.  especially some of the holiday content i love to watch each year cannot be purchased from literally any streaming based service.  i really don't want multiple devices under my tv so  i don't think i'd take a disc less console for anything less than a $2-300 discount from the disc version.

to me this is the psp go but even less appealing because there is really no advantage to dropping the media drive like there is in the portable console arena.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

i really wonder how much of an audience there is for a discless home console.  

realistically i am the target audience for this.  my game library is 100% digital.  netflx/amazon streaming is a vast majority of the tv content i watch.  and even with this i would still prefer a disc based console next gen because i occasionally watch dvd/blu rays.  especially some of the holiday content i love to watch each year cannot be purchased from literally any streaming based service.  i really don't want multiple devices under my tv so  i don't think i'd take a disc less console for anything less than a $2-300 discount from the disc version.

to me this is the psp go but even less appealing because there is really no advantage to dropping the media drive like there is in the portable console arena.
They could probably bundle this with gamepass. Make the system include a free year of gamepass or something and really push that.

kitler53

They could probably bundle this with gamepass. Make the system include a free year of gamepass or something and really push that.
the console doesn't' need to be discless to bundle it with gamepass.   

i still think the overall feeling in the market is that the lack of choice (can only buy games digitally) and the inability to watch bluray/dvd is a pretty limiting.  for a company that launched xbox touting "video in" and touted the UHD with x1x this is a pretty big swing in the other direction.  this is basically the swing from "convergence/media player is the future of gaming" to a pure console with severely gimped media capabilities.  

so long as it is a choice it is no big deal to offer a discless version.  i just don't think it will be a popular choice.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

the console doesn't' need to be discless to bundle it with gamepass.  

i still think the overall feeling in the market is that the lack of choice (can only buy games digitally) and the inability to watch bluray/dvd is a pretty limiting.  for a company that launched xbox touting "video in" and touted the UHD with x1x this is a pretty big swing in the other direction.  this is basically the swing from "convergence/media player is the future of gaming" to a pure console with severely gimped media capabilities.  

so long as it is a choice it is no big deal to offer a discless version.  i just don't think it will be a popular choice.
If you have the option to buy discs then it doesn't have the same "synergy."

Kerotan

I was saying not to long ago Sony should release a super slim with no disc drive. 8 wonder how gamestop etc will react to this.

SWORDF1SH

I think I would actually buy a disk-drive-less console. The vast majority of my games this gen are digital.