State of Play August 6th - no PS5

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 03, 2020, 01:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

DerNebel

As expected this is a complete backfire from Sony, most people had no idea what this show was going to be and are disappointed
Don't say that. You can't act like a "marketing guru" you "whiny baby".... :D

I guess the show was fine for what it was announced as, can't believe I let myself get suckered into believing that Atlus might announce P4G for PS4 here. Still i think the excuse some people had that they just still had so many PS4 games coming that they want to market, that it makes sense to have a State of Play focused on PS4, falls flat after the show.

This thing wasn't focused on PS4, probably half the time was spend on games running on PS5 and it's not like they blew the roof off with their PS4 news here. Hitman VR is cool for those who are into that I guess and Crash 4 continues to look good, but then they also throw things like Braid Anniversary Edition and Auto Chess in there? Come on.

the-pi-guy

Helps to refresh the page

Legend

Don't say that. You can't act like a "marketing guru" you "whiny baby".... :D

I guess the show was fine for what it was announced as, can't believe I let myself get suckered into believing that Atlus might announce P4G for PS4 here. Still i think the excuse some people had that they just still had so many PS4 games coming that they want to market, that it makes sense to have a State of Play focused on PS4, falls flat after the show.

This thing wasn't focused on PS4, probably half the time was spend on games running on PS5 and it's not like they blew the roof off with their PS4 news here. Hitman VR is cool for those who are into that I guess and Crash 4 continues to look good, but then they also throw things like Braid Anniversary Edition and Auto Chess in there? Come on.
Braid belonged in the show!

That's the problem with all of these directs though. Everyone understood E3 vs Gamescom vs Tokyo Game Show vs PSX (mostly). Yet with just "State of Play," people have no clue what level of content will be shown. Should have called this a pre show or something just to help set expectations with the name itself.

Xevross

That's the problem with all of these directs though. Everyone understood E3 vs Gamescom vs Tokyo Game Show vs PSX (mostly). Yet with just "State of Play," people have no clue what level of content will be shown. Should have called this a pre show or something just to help set expectations with the name itself.
I'm no marketing guy but I can't help but think Sony could have done this way better. Release some of those trailers on their own with a bit of promotion, put a couple (Pathless, maybe Hood) into the main PS5 show and keep the rest of it for a bit of stuff to disperse into a pre-show for it.

the-pi-guy

Well I liked the show.  

I swear Sony could announce "it's nothing" and people would watch it complaining that it's nothing.

Xevross

I'm coming away from this with a pleasant feeling. Pathless is a very pleasant surprise, I'm so excited for that game now and its another holiday PS5 game I want. Crash is looking so fantastic too which makes me very happy.

DerNebel

Aug 06, 2020, 09:23 PM Last Edit: Aug 06, 2020, 09:55 PM by DerNebel

I think in terms of setting expectations Sony did reasonably well. I mean just a couple weeks ago Nintendo had their Mini Direct, with similar wording and people still had unreasonable expectations.

My opinion is still that this was ill-timed. If they had actual 3rd party banger announcements to make for the PS4 then maybe it could have worked but making a show with small to medium scale PS4/PSVR announcements padded out with, sorry to be so blunt, the PS5 games most people don't care to see, was a recipe for failure at this point in time. People are dying to find out more about the PS5, see the first party games in action, see the UI, find out the price etc. not about Auto Chess and games whose entire studios apparently don't even exist anymore.

I don't know, this is such an unforced error to me.

Legend

I think in terms of setting expectations Sony did reasonably well. I mean just a couple weeks Nintendo had their **Mini** Direct, with similar wording and people still had unreasonable expectations.

My opinion is still that this was ill-timed. If they had actual 3rd party banger announcements to make for the PS4 then maybe it could have worked but making a show with small to medium scale PS4/PSVR announcements padded out with, sorry to be so blunt, the PS5 games most people don't care to see, was a recipe for failure at this point in time. People are dying to find out more about the PS5, see the first party games in action, see the UI, find out the price etc. not about Auto Chess and games whose entire studios apparently don't even exist anymore.

I don't know, this is such an unforced error to me.
True with Nintendo.

Maybe this will push them to announce when/what the next ps5 news will be.

the-pi-guy

I'm really glad Sony continues to support PSVR. Won't be playing on PSVR.

But I'm so excited to see what they pull off with PSVR 2.  PSVR kind of sucks, there's massive room for improvement with controllers, tracking, wires, screens, lenses, etc.  

Xevross

It feels like Sony hasn't realised they need to fully sell people on PS5 before the competition is available to order. They're investing all this money in timed exclusives and whatnot to try and get a dominant lead but what if they announce all this stuff too late? As soon as 1M+ people pre-order an Xbox that's enough to lose tens of millions down the line due to people buying what their friends have and whatnot.

They really should get going with their big announcements ASAP, it feels so weird that they aren't.

Dr. Pezus

It feels like Sony hasn't realised they need to fully sell people on PS5 before the competition is available to order. They're investing all this money in timed exclusives and whatnot to try and get a dominant lead but what if they announce all this stuff too late? As soon as 1M+ people pre-order an Xbox that's enough to lose tens of millions down the line due to people buying what their friends have and whatnot.

They really should get going with their big announcements ASAP, it feels so weird that they aren't.
I'm guessing this was a pre show for a ps5 show next week

the-pi-guy

I'm still not sure why to care about Godfall. Gameplay looks fine.  

There are plenty of games that I have liked that would look pretty darn boring in a gameplay trailer.  

Like a 10 minute clip of Skyrim where you're mostly just walking through a field.   That's kind of how I've been feeling about Godfall so far.  :P

I just feel like the game needs a story trailer or just one with hype music.

Legend

Just noticed the woman at the first table isn't holding anything. Always fun when glitches are in trailers.

the-pi-guy

Sony's State of Play highlights PlayStation's strong position heading into next gen  | GameDaily.biz

We expect Sony to announce pricing and launch details for the PlayStation 5 in the next month, as units are already starting to ship from factories," Daniel Ahmad, senior analyst at Niko Partners, told GameDaily.
"Microsoft is trying its best with Xbox Series X, but the past few months have revealed they are just too far behind Sony," a new DFC report reads. "Consumer brand preference leans strongly towards PlayStation. As a piece of hardware there is nothing Xbox Series X is doing to change that perception."

Go Up