Next Gen Console Prices: Prediction and Discussion thread.

Started by Legend, Aug 02, 2020, 11:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Seeing the talk in the sales thread, I think it's time we really lock in our thoughts. Hopefully everything will be revealed in just a couple weeks.

This thread is like a review prediction thread. For each system, give a high prediction, a low prediction, and your most expected prediction. If you are confident in the price, you can make all three the same price. It's just a way of showing what range we expect is likely. You can keep updating your predictions up till the first price is revealed. Prices are in US dollars.

PS5 with disc drive

$699:
$649:
$599:
$549: Xevross, the-Pi-guy
$499: Legend, Kitler, SWORDFISH, Dr. Pezus, Xevross, the-Pi-guy, SWORDFISH, Dr. Pezus, SWORDFISH
$449: Legend, Kitler, Legend, Xevross, the-Pi-guy, Dr. Pezus
$399: Kitler
$349:
$299:

PS5 without disc drive

$699:
$649:
$599:
$549:
$499: Kitler
$449: Legend, Xevross, the-Pi-guy, SWORDFISH, Dr. Pezus, Kitler, SWORDFISH, SWORDFISH
$399: Legend, Xevross, the-Pi-guy, Dr. Pezus, Xevross the-Pi-guy, Kitler, Dr. Pezus
$349: Legend
$299:

Xbox Series X

$699:
$649:
$599: Legend, Kitler, SWORDFISH, SWORDFISH, SWORDFISH
$549: Xevross, the-Pi-guy, Dr. Pezus, Xevross ($529)
$499: Legend, the-Pi-guy, Kitler, Dr. Pezus
$449: Xevross, Dr. Pezus
$399: Legend, the-Pi-guy, Kitler
$349:
$299:

Xbox Lockhart

$599:
$549:
$499: Kitler
$449:
$399: Legend, Xevross, the-Pi-guy, Dr. Pezus, Kitler
$349: Legend, Xevross, the-Pi-guy, Dr. Pezus
$299: SWORDFISH, SWORDFISH, Xevross, Kitler, SWORDFISH
$249: Legend, the-Pi-guy, Dr. Pezus

Legend

PS5
$499 high
$449 mid
$449 low

PS5 digital
$449 high
$399 mid
$349 low

Series X
$599 high
$499 mid
$399 low

Lockhart
$399 high
$349 mid
$249 low

I feel confident the companies want to hit these prices, but I worry that behind the scenes reality will make them way more expensive.

Xevross

Aug 03, 2020, 11:07 AM Last Edit: Aug 19, 2020, 06:34 PM by Xevross
Sure why not.

PS5
$549 high
$499 mid
$449 low

PS5 digital
$449 high
$399 mid
$399 low

Series X
$599 high
$549 mid
$449 low

Lockhart
$399 high
$349 mid
$299 low

More than $499 for PS5 would be mad but I put my high at 549 because it might happen. Digital is definitely not lower than $399 though.

Series X is more expensive to build than PS5 so might go above it but I could also see them slotting in between the PS5 prices with it, they'd be taking a really big hit but they might think its worth it. Lockheart is a complete wildcard as we don't know anything about it yet but there's no point in its existence if its >399 and I don't see a way its less than 299 if it does have mostly the same specs as Series X.

the-pi-guy

PS5
$549 high
$499 mid
$449 low

PS5 digital
$449 high
$399 mid
$399 low

Series X
$549 high
$499 mid
$399 low

Lockhart
$399 high
$349 mid
$249 low

I still hope PS5 is $399/$449....

I expect MS to be reasonable, but just in case they really want to push it.  Lockhart just feels like a terrible deal compared to PS5.  So they might have to be aggressive and lose a lot.  

kitler53

PS5
$499 high
$449 mid
$400 low

PS5 digital
$499 high
$449 mid
$400 low

Series X
$599 high
$499 mid
$399 low

Lockhart
$499 high
$399 mid
$299 low

hedging my bet on ps5s,... i'm not convinced the digital edition is actually cheaper as it could just have a larger SDD and the same price.

I think people are too optimistic on lockhart's price.   there is still a ton of tech in there that is the same as the series x.  yes it is cheaper but if you really guys really think the series x is a lot more expensive than the ps5 to build the lockhart won't come in significantly below the ps5 digital.   also i've been highly influenced but you and the rest of the gaming community about the series x being more expensive to build than a ps5.  anyways, i'm looking at the price as "what could it be" not "what should it be".

i gave myself pretty large ranges.  the wild card is how much is MSony willing to subsidize and that can't be reasoned out so effectively.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

hedging my bet on ps5s,... i'm not convinced the digital edition is actually cheaper as it could just have a larger SDD and the same price.

They have said it has the same SSD

kitler53

They have said it has the same SSD
they did?  I must have missed that.

the-pi-guy

Aug 03, 2020, 01:45 PM Last Edit: Aug 03, 2020, 01:52 PM by the-pi-guy
I think people are too optimistic on lockhart's price.   there is still a ton of tech in there that is the same as the series x.  yes it is cheaper but if you really guys really think the series x is a lot more expensive than the ps5 to build the lockhart won't come in significantly below the ps5 digital.   also i've been highly influenced but you and the rest of the gaming community about the series x being more expensive to build than a ps5.  anyways, i'm looking at the price as "what could it be" not "what should it be".
I just think Lockhart has a big uphill battle with pricing.  It's just kind of dumb.  It's going to be pretty close to the same cost as the XSX manufacturing wise.  But there's a huge power gap with the other consoles.  

It kind of has to be $349 or $399 to break even, but it'll get eaten by the PS5 at that price.  

they did?  I must have missed that.
It's a discless version [of PS5]. It's important to note that, it's essentially the same product. You're not talking about any change to features, or any change to power. It's the same product, with slight cosmetic differences, and no disc drive. So it's all digital.
I think there was a more definitive statement that both systems were the same, except the disc drive.

Play Has No Limits: Digging deeper into yesterday's PS5 announcements - PlayStation.Blog

Xevross

What do we even know about Lockheart? iirc the only difference between it and Series X is the GPU and then some of the other specs are slightly downclocked versions. It may be enough to drop it to $349 but I doubt it'd be much cheaper than PS5 digital version to build.

the-pi-guy

What do we even know about Lockheart? iirc the only difference between it and Series X is the GPU and then some of the other specs are slightly downclocked versions. It may be enough to drop it to $349 but I doubt it'd be much cheaper than PS5 digital version to build.
We know that it's dumb. /s

Seriously though. I really think MS will about break even with XSX, but XSS feels like it only makes sense if it loses a bit of money.

Legend

Series X
$529 mid
Would that be the first time in history a major console doesn't launch rounded to $50 intervals?

GPU and no disc drive. I think it could be pretty cheap because the series x gpu is huge. Without it the chip could be less than half the size and run using less power. Cheaper power supply and cheaper cooling.

Would not be surprised if it ends up being relatively expensive though.

the-pi-guy

Would that be the first time in history a major console doesn't launch rounded to $50 intervals?
Recent history. Before the 5th gen, prices were stranger.  

Sega Genesis, NES didn't launch at $50 intervals.  

GPU and no disc drive. I think it could be pretty cheap because the series x gpu is huge. Without it the chip could be less than half the size and run using less power. Cheaper power supply and cheaper cooling.

Would not be surprised if it ends up being relatively expensive though.
Aye, but it still has an expensive CPU, SSD.

the-pi-guy

Xbox Lockhart could have a SKU with no controller to sell it at a cheap price Rumor | ResetEra

If true, I wonder how low the price is. $199 is probably a pipe dream but it'd also be awesome for people that want to get into next-gen for real cheap and already have XB1 controllers.  
[/size]

kitler53

Xbox Lockhart could have a SKU with no controller to sell it at a cheap price Rumor | ResetEra

why stop there.  they could drop the hdmi cord and power cable too.   if fact since the thing already is shaped like a box they could just drop the packaging as well.  bet they could get all the way down to $50..

Legend

why stop there.  they could drop the hdmi cord and power cable too.   if fact since the thing already is shaped like a box they could just drop the packaging as well.  bet they could get all the way down to $50..
Yeah it's dumb.

Could see it happening. Nintendo already sold the new 3ds without a charger.