The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

ethomaz

kitler53

i think ms is smart to invest in the halolens technology.  that shame would be cool if it actually worked as advertised.  but yeah,.. it has to work first.   in a few years time they can probably fix the FoV problem cheaply enough and get better tracking technology for walls and stuff.  actually it is the input that i'm most worried about because voice control just isn't 100% enough especially in non-english and the wagging the finger control looks terrible.

still.  if/when it works it will be a big hit i think.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Raven

i think ms is smart to invest in the halolens technology.  that shame would be cool if it actually worked as advertised.  but yeah,.. it has to work first.   in a few years time they can probably fix the FoV problem cheaply enough and get better tracking technology for walls and stuff.  actually it is the input that i'm most worried about because voice control just isn't 100% enough especially in non-english and the wagging the finger control looks terrible.

still.  if/when it works it will be a big hit i think.
It will be great for a lot of things. Gaming really isn't one of them. AR is too limited in the experiences it can give you. The technology is definitely something I see becoming huge for home repair and improvement, construction work, education, etc.

kitler53

It will be great for a lot of things. Gaming really isn't one of them. AR is too limited in the experiences it can give you. The technology is definitely something I see becoming huge for home repair and improvement, construction work, education, etc.
gaming to a certain extent.  i view halolens as a replacement to smartphones.  it will play games just not the "full" "AAA" games but cute time wasters while on your commute or in a waiting room.

but it will be amazing to have google maps on that kind of device.  or bring up reviews to a cafe your looking at.  or taking a call hands free.  or other smartphone esque stuff.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

gaming to a certain extent.  i view halolens as a replacement to smartphones.  it will play games just not the "full" "AAA" games but cute time wasters while on your commute or in a waiting room.

but it will be amazing to have google maps on that kind of device.  or bring up reviews to a cafe your looking at.  or taking a call hands free.  or other smartphone esque stuff.
Good hololens gaming will still be stationary and flat. Like a giant smartphone floating in front of you.

AR games tend to suck once the cool factor runs out.

the-pi-guy

vorpX is a 3D-driver for DirectX9-11 games that is specifically geared towards VR-devices like the Oculus Rift. Additionally to 'making games 3D' it offers various features to tackle many of the issues that arise when playing games on the Rift that are not designed for it.
Supported Games - vorpX - VR 3D-Driver for Oculus Rift

the-pi-guy

Why couldn't they make it easier to make a decision.  :(
I really want PC VR, I really want PSVR.  I can't get both right now.  :(

Mmm_fish_tacos

Why couldn't they make it easier to make a decision.  :(
I really want PC VR, I really want PSVR.  I can't get both right now.  :(
Which one has the games your looking forward to the most?

the-pi-guy

Which one has the games your looking forward to the most?
Short term, probably PSVR when it comes to actual VR games.
Long term, that would be anyone's guess.  :(

the-pi-guy

The VR threads are my threads.  Apparently.

in the span of about 3 years, I will have bought 7 different VR headsets - NeoGAF

Going back to 2013, I have bought an Oculus Rift DK1, an Oculus Rift DK2 (actually, 4 of them), a Gear VR, a dedicated Google Cardboard holder, and I have an Oculus Rift CV1 preordered, an HTC Vive Preordered, and a Playstation VR preordered.  I paid full price for all of them, I was not a rift kickstarter backer, and I did not attend the Unity Vision Summit where they gave away Vives. And I'll probably switch to the next iteration of the Galaxy Note this year and get the new Gear VR with it.
 Going forward, I'd expect to buy the eventual Apple and Nvidia VR headsets when they release. And I'd love to get my hands on a hololens or google glass.
 This is testament to how quickly VR is evolving and I fudgy love it. Just a heads up that many of the consumer headsets just around the corner probably are not meant to last 3 or so years. Expect better headsets to come very quickly, and your own headset to become outdated much quicker than you'd think. In about a couple of years, for example, Foveated Rendering will become feasible for consumer products and make all our current headsets obsolete. VR headsets for the next 1/2 decade or so will iterate rapidly much the same way video cards and 3D accelerators did in the second half of the 90's.

the-pi-guy

Think I will try to get the Oculus Rift when I can.  
Unless it slips to like August, at which point I will get PSVR for sure.  

Will at some point get both though.  

Legend

Think I will try to get the Oculus Rift when I can.  
Unless it slips to like August, at which point I will get PSVR for sure.  

Will at some point get both though.  
I'm tempted to build my own.

Shouldn't be too hard since there's open source software out there.

the-pi-guy

I'm tempted to build my own.
Shouldn't be too hard since there's open source software out there.
But where are you going to get customized fabric for your headset?  ;)

Mmm_fish_tacos

But where are you going to get customized fabric for your headset?  ;)
I hear MS has some left over school girl uniforms.  ;D

Mmm_fish_tacos

Go Up