US agencies stymied by new iPhone security measures

Started by 7H3, Sep 27, 2014, 07:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.betawired.com/us-agencies-stymied-by-new-iphone-security-measures/144969/
Federal agencies have expressed extreme displeasure at the new iPhone 6, claiming that its updated security protocols make it too difficult to eavesdrop on American citizens.

In a move that is directly related to former NSA employee Edward Snowden's release of information regarding classified efforts of the US government to spy on its own citizens, the latest version of the iPhone comes with advanced encryption that locks contacts, photos and emails away from prying eyes. Only the individual user of that phone has the necessary code to unlock the encryption protocols, Apple says - and it will not have access to those codes.

In other words, if a security agency compels Apple to divulge user data, the only thing the agency will receive is that encrypted data. Apple estimates that it could take as long as five years to crack the code by hand, though agencies such as the NSA may have the advanced computing power to break such encryption in much less time.

I saw another similar article recently that also implied google was doing the same thing with android phones
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Sounds like a bs marketing push to try and make apple look good.

7H3

I dunno the other article I read yesterday was comments from an FBI or CIA official about both iPhone and android... I think its them responding to the negative PR from the fiasco that happened a while back where it came out the they were really accessing personal information from a bunch of firms online
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

BasilZero

Sure it makes it hard for them  ::)