Will Naughty Dog have an original single player game before 2024?

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 10, 2022, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

For the most part they've put out an original single player games every 3 years or less, many of which even include multiplayer modes.
2009: Uncharted 2
2011: Uncharted 3
2013: The Last of Us
2016: Uncharted 4
2017: Uncharted TLL
2020: The Last of Us 2

So looking at the trend, it feels like they should launch a new game in 2023.
But that doesn't feel as likely, with the remake and an apparently expansive multiplayer title.

This is the first time, Naughty Dog has had 3 separate teams though, so maybe there's hope yet.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Although to be honest, I&#39;m feeling 2024 at the earliest.<br>

kitler53

if this online mp game is as big as they want me to believe,..

...that is their game of 2023.  no idea why you are putting a *single player caveat on their game releases.  a game released is a game released.  it's been more than 2 years since TLoU 2 released so its not like this is some half-arsed mp expansion.   they are treating this as a full title release kind of like they did with Uncharted TLL,.. it was planned as a simple dlc expansion but having played it I can say it is clearly a full game in scope and effort.

plus, as you say, they are just about to release TLoU remake.  i know it's not a fully original title but it's not a lazy-as-fudge port either.  

i'll bet they already have their next-next title in the works.   yeah, it will be something like a 2026 title but i'm certain it is already being worked on.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

no idea why you are putting a *single player caveat on their game releases.  a game released is a game released.  it's been more than 2 years since TLoU 2 released so its not like this is some half-arsed mp expansion.   they are treating this as a full title release kind of like they did with Uncharted TLL,.. it was planned as a simple dlc expansion but having played it I can say it is clearly a full game in scope and effort.

plus, as you say, they are just about to release TLoU remake.  i know it's not a fully original title but it's not a lazy-as-fudge port either.  

i'll bet they already have their next-next title in the works.   yeah, it will be something like a 2026 title but i'm certain it is already being worked on.
Partly because it's not a big ask to guess when their multiplayer title comes out or TLOU Remake.
Partly because most of us like Naughty Dog mostly for their single player titles.

kitler53

Partly because it's not a big ask to guess when their multiplayer title comes out or TLOU Remake.
Partly because most of us like Naughty Dog mostly for their single player titles.
well then the answer is like at least 90% certainly a no.  not before 2024.   i'd hope at least this mp project can ship in 2023 but the only way i see ND having a second release in a year is if it's a port.   i don't think ND even have a game in their backlog they have rights/need to port to ps5 so I guess that would mean a port to PC to which i say,.. like i fudgy care about that..

Legend

I doubt it. I know they have multiple teams but releasing two games in 2023 would be extreme.

Also kinda interesting to think about them moving on from TLOU. They have the remake, tv show, and new multiplayer game. The franchise has arguably never been bigger, yet some time next year they'll probably start a big marketing push for a new IP.

kitler53

I doubt it. I know they have multiple teams but releasing two games in 2023 would be extreme.

Also kinda interesting to think about them moving on from TLOU. They have the remake, tv show, and new multiplayer game. The franchise has arguably never been bigger, yet some time next year they'll probably start a big marketing push for a new IP.
I think there will be a TloU 3.  for the record I still haven't played 2 so I don't know where the story ended so far. 

it's uncharted they are moving away from. 

BananaKing

I hope they move away from both uncharted and TLoU. Do something new, something fresh, then can back to TLoU if they want.

Legend

I think there will be a TloU 3.  for the record I still haven't played 2 so I don't know where the story ended so far.

it's uncharted they are moving away from.
They've talked about a potential follow up but have stressed that it would be 2027+ if it happens.

A direct part 3 as a full game could be hard to pull off. Plenty of room for smaller stories like Lost Legacy though. Or they could get a new cast and tell a completely new story in the same universe, like what this multiplayer game seems to be doing.

I hope they move away from both uncharted and TLoU. Do something new, something fresh, then can back to TLoU if they want.

Agreed. I remember how amazing the first TLOU reveal was. I want to see something like that again.

the-pi-guy

Agreed. I remember how amazing the first TLOU reveal was. I want to see something like that again.
It was amazing for so many reasons.

It was awesome to see Naughty Dog announce a game, a month after their last one came out.

kitler53

They've talked about a potential follow up but have stressed that it would be 2027+ if it happens.
Probably even later than 2027. 

Mp game in 2023.  New IP in 2026.  TLoU3 in 2029.  New IP sequel 2032.