Early look at PSVR2 User Experience

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 26, 2022, 01:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Early look at the user experience for PlayStation VR2  - PlayStation.Blog

VR Mode and Cinematic Mode
In VR Mode, players can enjoy VR game content in a 360 view in a virtual environment. Content will be displayed in 4000 x 2040 HDR video format (2000 x 2040 per eye) with 90Hz/120Hz frame rate.

In Cinematic Mode, players can view the PS5 system and UI and all non-VR game and media content on a virtual cinema screen. Content in Cinematic Mode will be displayed in 1920×1080 HDR video format with 24/60Hz and also 120Hz frame rate.

PS VR2 game developers will begin to access the latest user experience for PS VR2 in a new system software release coming soon as part of the ongoing development. There are lots of exciting things to look forward to for PS VR2, and we can't wait to share more details about our next-generation virtual reality headset that takes a dramatic leap forward in gameplay innovation. We'll share more information soon, including launch date and additional games coming to the platform.
See-Through View
With PS VR2, you can see your surroundings while wearing the headset with our new see-through feature. It comes in handy when you want to easily check where the PS VR2 Sense controllers are in your room without taking the headset off. Thanks to PS VR2's embedded front cameras, users can press the function button on the headset, or use the Card in the Control Center, to switch between viewing your surroundings, or viewing the content on PS VR2. The Card in the Control Center also gives quick access to other PS VR2 settings, such as adjusting your play area.

The see-through view is just for viewing only, so there's no recording option.

No color though. :(

Legend

Yeah you're never going to get games built around the passthrough camera.

kitler53

pass though is an important QoL feature.  i do kind of wish the button was on the controller instead of the headset though.   when you want to see your surroundings you want to see it fast.

Yeah you're never going to get games built around the passthrough camera.
not a big loss.   your tethered to the ps5 so it's not like you could build something like pokemon go with it.  at best you'd have a astro bot demo where the bots hide behind your couch.    being that every living room would be different it sounds like an honest to god nightmare to build something robust and fun using passthrough.

i don't care about broadcasting but probably an important feature for sony to get streamers to advertise psvr2.

i really like the customize play area bit.  i refused to standup with psvr1 in part because i'd have no idea if i was "safe".   this might not be enough but i'll feel better about it at the very least.

kind of mad about the cinematic mode.   if i'm reading that right only game content will be in 3D VR and the rest will be in a flat 2D mode.   I want 360 3D video playback support.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

the-pi-guy

https://www.techradar.com/news/oculus-quest-2-getting-way-more-expensive-but-no-new-features

oi, doesn't bode well for psvr2 imo.
I suppose that could be due to not being able to subsidize as much with Facebook info, as they're no longer requiring a Facebook account. 

Although still a funny trend, they had gone through a few price cuts previously. 

PSVR2 will use some cheaper components, there's no wifi module or CPU/GPU components. It's primarily just going to be the HDMI driver, the cameras and a few other things.

PSVR2 will probably also be more heavily subsidized through probably $60 games.

PSVR2 will probably be $400 or so. ,

the-pi-guy

Makes me feel better about getting the quest as $250 then though.
Back when they were $300, and had regular buy 2, save $100 discounts.

kitler53

i can't remember what i payed for psvr.   i remember i had to rebuy a camera reluctantly because i couldn't buy it without it.  i feel like it was $350-400 with astrobot and moss but then i got it on a black friday deal so i payed less then msrp.  for psvr2:

at $300 i'm in day 1

at $400 i'll consider day 1 depending on the games being announced for year 1

at $500 i'll probably wait for a price drop (if that ever happens)

i also hope there is formal support for PC.  i want it for ps5 for games but i also want it for other stuff that clearly sony isn't going to support.