PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Sony has like 600 openings on their website. Only includes 7 studios though I believe.

A few notable that are not included:
Bungie has 130.
Naughty Dog has 58.
Sucked punch has 29.
Housemarque has 24.
Firesprite has 23.
Guerilla has 23
Media Molecule has 21.
Team Asobi has 12.

A lot of growth across the board.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

kitler53

So another haven/deviation situation?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

So another haven/deviation situation?
I'm not exactly sure.

Because I'm not sure what the distinction is for Sony between their productions like Housemarque was, vs Haven/Deviation. They haven't really announced partnerships like that before those three, or since.

So maybe?

the-pi-guy

Team Asobi: "We want our games to feel like they're made in Japan" | GamesIndustry.biz

But in 2021, Sony closed the developer, and spun Team Asobi out as its own company.

Back then, Team Asobi was around 35 employees, and has since grown to more than 60, and Doucet expects that number to reach around 100 people.
The dev team making the next Astro might be twice the size of the last one.

kitler53

Team Asobi: "We want our games to feel like they're made in Japan" | GamesIndustry.biz

seems like too many people to make another astro demo for psvr 2.    

sony must have more hardware unannounced....

Legend

I don't think I'll ever understand why they shut down Japan studio just to rebuild it as Asobi.

Hopefully the next astrobot is a big hit.

the-pi-guy

I don't think I'll ever understand why they shut down Japan studio just to rebuild it as Asobi.
It's starting to feel like they just wanted to reset Japan Studio.  

External development got merged with XDev. Though some of that was cut, it's largely still there.

It feels like the biggest thing that really got lost was the Gravity Rush team. Team ICO split off years prior.

And with how Sony is going right now, maybe something else will replace it.

Hopefully the next astrobot is a big hit.
I'll tell you this much, it'll be something I will spend $70 on. I absolutely love Astrobot and Astro's Rescue Mission.

the-pi-guy

Studio Spotlight - Team ASOBI - SIE Blog - English

"We created ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission and ASTRO's PLAYROOM, but Team ASOBI will be more than that," Nicolas said about Team ASOBI's future. "Right now we're in the first phase of building the studio. We currently have over 60 staff and we're building up to about 80 for our current project, but we plan to have additional teams on the side, incubating new ideas with the same kind of spirit and values, but in completely different genres. Ultimately, we want to keep making games that are really surprising."

*Different genres* was an interesting bit.

kitler53

I hope they expand to many hundreds and make many games both big and small. 

Legend

I hope they expand to many hundreds and make many games both big and small.
They could even expand to have multiple teams working together with Asobi as a big Japanese studio.

It's starting to feel like they just wanted to reset Japan Studio.  

External development got merged with XDev. Though some of that was cut, it's largely still there.

It feels like the biggest thing that really got lost was the Gravity Rush team. Team ICO split off years prior.

And with how Sony is going right now, maybe something else will replace it.

I'll tell you this much, it'll be something I will spend $70 on. I absolutely love Astrobot and Astro's Rescue Mission.
I still need to play the vr game. The PS5 one was short but great!

the-pi-guy

kitler53

They could even expand to have multiple teams working together with Asobi as a big Japanese studio.

I still need to play the vr game. The PS5 one was short but great!
A big studio in japan..

…you know, that is just crazy enough it might work. 

BananaKing

PlayStation Games for PC | PlayStation  (US)

8)
So is this like their own store?

Because if so, that could be a huge money maker for them. If they can compete with steam and sell even third party games on PC then this could be very big for playstation revenue wise

Go Up