PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

They've never announced closing a deal before. Very weird.

interview

They've grown quite a bit:
Today, as the deal is finally confirmed, we've caught up with Haven again. And a lot has changed in just a short amount of time. The developer now has 106 employees -- a rise over more than 50 since October last year -- so it's certainly no small indie team anymore.

the-pi-guy

It's interesting seeing the responses from people that are somewhat familiar with PlayStation Studios, but aren't familiar with Haven Studios.

"Never heard of them, Sony must really like what they're working on"

kitler53

tbh,.. i had kind of forgotten haven was acquired so when i saw this posted i had at least a moment when i thought this was new news.

without a game to talk about hard to remember they exist.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

tbh,.. i had kind of forgotten haven was acquired so when i saw this posted i had at least a moment when i thought this was new news.

without a game to talk about hard to remember they exist.
It's super weird that they tweeted it out like it was new. They've never announced an acquisition closing like this.

I'm kind of wondering if they did that because they aren't going to have any announcements in a while or if they just thought it would be a start to a good week.  

Legend

It's super weird that they tweeted it out like it was new. They've never announced an acquisition closing like this.

I'm kind of wondering if they did that because they aren't going to have any announcements in a while or if they just thought it would be a start to a good week.  
Maybe they wanted to remind you to update the op   ;)

But your reasoning makes sense. Why not get more pr out of it.

kitler53

maybe they are reminding us of haven because haven's game is next in line to get announced?    

...it's probably the other way where haven won't announce anything for a year or more and they don't want us to forget about them.   ...or it's just a slow week and they needed to tweet something.   i expect we'll get a state of play for GoW soon now that they've confirmed the release date for november but i could also see that coming as late as september.  could be a slow couple of months for gaming news. 

the-pi-guy

maybe they are reminding us of haven because haven's game is next in line to get announced?    
Well they started a year and half ago, although Hermen said they're ahead of schedule.

Which maybe? not impossible, but it doesn't seem very likely. I feel like more games take 6 years than take 3.  :'(

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

https://www.sie.com/en/blog/5-questions-with-haven-studios-jade-raymond/

We know you can't say much, but how is the project coming along?

JR: I'm happy to share that the game is already fun! We play every day and that keeps us inspired to push further.  Our current project will be Haven's first game and our first new IP for PlayStation. We want to deliver the very best game we possibly can. The bar is high, but we have a great team and believe we can create something innovative that people will be excited to play.
Also talked about game development in the cloud

Legend

I wonder how good their game will be. Sounds great but building a new ip and new studio at the same time must be a lot of work.

Legend

First showcase since being purchased. Hope we see a roadmap.

the-pi-guy

Still can't believe that Bungie is owned by Sony now.  

Legend

Still can't believe that Bungie is owned by Sony now.  
It's crazy.

Now we just need Microsoft to give Halo back to Bungie and the universe will implode.

the-pi-guy

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-gaming-unit-adds-uber-antitrust-lawyer-amid-expansion-plans.610758/#post-90388959

Apparently Sony Interactive hired someone notable, who previously worked at MS and Uber, to handle regulatory affairs.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but quite a few people on Era are assuming it means that Sony is planning to acquire something big eventually.

But of course, it probably has nothing to do with that.  But it is weird to me, that someone wrote an article about hiring someone.

kitler53

I still don't really believe it but that SE rumor lingers.   Ubisoft seems destiny to be aquired or fail.  now one else really seems that plausible to me.   

I just don't see massive aquisitions being Sony's strategy right now.  

Go Up