the-pi-guy

Sep 28, 2020, 12:48 PM Last Edit: Sep 28, 2020, 02:54 PM by the-pi-guy

kitler53

Sep 28, 2020, 01:53 PM Last Edit: Sep 28, 2020, 02:03 PM by kitler53
did it happen already?

this?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

DerNebel

Ok, I need someone to tell me that I'm not crazy.

Why the hell are people trying to turn Quick Resume into a big thing? Especially if we consider the SSD and it's proclaimed load time improvements?

Who are all these people constantly switching between playing multiple games at the same time?

Xevross

Why the hell are people trying to turn Quick Resume into a big thing? Especially if we consider the SSD and it's proclaimed load time improvements?

Who are all these people constantly switching between playing multiple games at the same time?
Yeah I guess it's nice if you do play lots of games at once it saves where you were. But with SSD loading games in 2 seconds like with kena what's the point? Seems like a waste of space on the SSD.

Xevross

Sep 28, 2020, 03:02 PM Last Edit: Sep 28, 2020, 03:04 PM by Xevross

Nice video. Holy shame at RDR2 still having 37 second load times on the series X though, lol. Quick resume also isn't as fast as I thought it would be.

Pretty meh all round, basically what you'd expect for a next gen system playing last gen games and it seems series X doesn't have any crazy new features.

Dr. Pezus

Sep 28, 2020, 03:14 PM Last Edit: Sep 28, 2020, 03:18 PM by Dr. Pezus

Nice video. Holy shame at RDR2 still having 37 second load times on the series X though, lol. Quick resume also isn't as fast as I thought it would be.

Pretty meh all round, basically what you'd expect for a next gen system playing last gen games and it seems series X doesn't have any crazy new features.
Well devs can release patches so their games run even better on XSX I'm sure.

But yeah quick resume is being pushed as one of the coolest next gen features lol.
One video mentioned glitches, that not all titles support it, games might crash etc

The previews are getting me hyped for next gen though. The speed, less noise, games running faster (in BC) for example is all something PS5 will do as well (and I suspect load times and stuff might be faster on ps5 even)

the-pi-guy

I thought you meant that RDR's quick resume was 37 seconds. That'd be crazy. Quick resume seems like it's generally in the 7-15 second range from the little that I've seen.

I imagine RDR is getting bottlenecked with some other stuff.

Legend

I am so hyped to play old games!

kitler53

Sep 28, 2020, 04:09 PM Last Edit: Sep 28, 2020, 04:17 PM by kitler53

I think it's a nice thing.   just this weekend i wanted to play tomb raider but decided not to because i paused my son's lego star war games mid-level and I didn't want to lose our progress.   to me the quick resume introduced with Xbox One/ps4 was a huge improvement over the prior gen.  i think the multi-game quick resume that xbox is highlighting is certainly less of an improvement gen-over-gen than then single game quick resume but i'll be happy to see it on ps5 if they can.

i switch between 3-5 games on average:
 - the game i play on thursdays with my bro's date night  (divinity orginal sin 2)
 - the game i play on weekends with my son (lego something something)
 - the game i'm playing by myself the rest of the week. (currently only tomb raider but sometimes i have 2-3 games going at once)

yeah, after all that SSD talk i'm both hyped and underwhelmed at the load times i've seen on xbox.  i'm holding out hope that ps5 will be faster since it has the faster SSD.  I'm also holding out hope that next gen games built with these features in mind will perform better than games being played via BC.

kitler53

i've watched 3 of these videos now.  overall good marketing for the masses but for a guy like me that feeds on every nugget of information i find this very unnourishing..

the-pi-guy

Apparently previous Xbox boot times are pretty atrocious.

Xbox One X takes over a minute.

So people are pretty impressed with this stuff.

Xevross

Apparently previous Xbox boot times are pretty atrocious.

Xbox One X takes over a minute.

So people are pretty impressed with this stuff.

Yeah seems like XB1X is over a minute and S is similar too for a cold boot. Resume can be 30 seconds+

I just tested on my ps4 slim. 17 seconds rest mode resume, 41 seconds cold boot to usable UI. XSX is 3 seconds and 20 seconds, so that resume time is a huge generational leap but cold boot still quite a long time.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Yeah seems like XB1X is over a minute and S is similar too for a cold boot. Resume can be 30 seconds+

I just tested on my ps4 slim. 17 seconds rest mode resume, 41 seconds cold boot to usable UI. XSX is 3 seconds and 20 seconds, so that resume time is a huge generational leap but cold boot still quite a long time.
Apparently you can get close to 20 seconds on PS4 with an SSD.  
I'm betting PS5 will be faster.

Xevross

Apparently you can get close to 20 seconds on PS4 with an SSD.  
I'm betting PS5 will be faster.

PS5 will definitely be faster. 3 seconds suspend resume is already very fast, PS5 could manage a second faster but we're already almost instantaneous here. Cold boot should be more like 10 seconds for PS5 I think.

Go Up