Microsoft Buys Zenimax/ Bethesda for $7.5B

Started by Xevross, Sep 21, 2020, 01:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

fudgy hell. They cant make their own fudgy games so they go buy devs and publishers left and right.

Doom, elder scrolls, fallout. And now starfield. And a lot more.

Its so easy to hate Microsoft, cultivate your own talent for fudges sake

nnodley

It still sounds like they will be coming to all consoles.  If bethesda is still publishing the games.  Not to say MS won't make some timed exclusives.

This is literally a buying war now between Sony and MS.  Since there was either a statement or rumor that sony wanted to acquire more.

we shall see though.

Xevross

I've said it before but xbox are playing an absolute blinder at the moment. Sony are getting caught with their pants down pretty hard.

Xbox no longer relies on console market share for revenue due to xcloud, game pass on PC and releasing games on PC. Playstation heavily relies on market share of their consoles, if xbox gains ground in the console market then PS lose out big time.

Yet xbox are also making a big play for that console ground with Series S, game pass and huge acquisitions to make their first party much bigger.

Playstation absolutely will still be fine, PS5 will sell a lot. But xbox are about to hit some heavy growth while I think Playstation will do well to remain flat on revenue throughout this gen.

PS5 could have a Wii like sales curve. I was thinking this before today. First two years absolutely massive, you can see it with hype and lineup, but also I can only see the sales shrinking from PS4 overall. That makes a Wii curve by default.

kitler53

It still sounds like they will be coming to all consoles.  If bethesda is still publishing the games.  Not to say MS won't make some timed exclusives.

This is literally a buying war now between Sony and MS.  Since there was either a statement or rumor that sony wanted to acquire more.

we shall see though.
that's not how i read that statement.  i read it as "we are still going to work on AAA games".   this was a statement for the benefit of MS not sony.   current public commitments might be multiplat but i doubt it stays that way.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

fudgy hell. They cant make their own fudgy games so they go buy devs and publishers left and right.

Doom, elder scrolls, fallout. And now starfield. And a lot more.

Its so easy to hate Microsoft, cultivate your own talent for fudges sake
That's business for you I guess.

kitler53

I've said it before but xbox are playing an absolute blinder at the moment. Sony are getting caught with their pants down pretty hard.

Xbox no longer relies on console market share for revenue due to xcloud, game pass on PC and releasing games on PC. Playstation heavily relies on market share of their consoles, if xbox gains ground in the console market then PS lose out big time.

Yet xbox are also making a big play for that console ground with Series S, game pass and huge acquisitions to make their first party much bigger.

Playstation absolutely will still be fine, PS5 will sell a lot. But xbox are about to hit some heavy growth while I think Playstation will do well to remain flat on revenue throughout this gen.

PS5 could have a Wii like sales curve. I was thinking this before today. First two years absolutely massive, you can see it with hype and lineup, but also I can only see the sales shrinking from PS4 overall. That makes a Wii curve by default.
i can see that too.  ps5's first year is nuts.  but MS is likely to keep buying shame.  by the end of ps5 there might be no big 3rd party studios left.   at the rate i expect MS to buy: activision, ubisoft, EA before the end of the gen.  capcom and SE would be harder because they are japanese but it won't matter,..  then the games industry is "fully" consolidated under MS at that point.

nnodley

that's not how i read that statement.  i read it as "we are still going to work on AAA games".   this was a statement for the benefit of MS not sony.   current public commitments might be multiplat but i doubt it stays that way.
Theres a statement from Todd Howard where he says no matter where or what you play on they will still experience their games.  Let me find it.  

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4IwKWIj174Cb2QNTTtBAEb/todd-howard-on-joining-xbox

kitler53

Theres a statement from Todd Howard where he says no matter where* or what you play on they will still experience their games.  Let me find it.  
*PC, xbox, gamepass.

nnodley

The way it sounds Todd Howard wants everyone to experience their games, but we will see when the time comes.

*PC, xbox, gamepass.
We shall see.  I'm just saying its fully within the realm of possibility they are all still coming to playstation.

DerNebel

It's not about Sony being caught with their pants down, it's about a trillion dollar company deciding "oh wait, our nearest competitor isn't even a tenth of our size, we can just start throwing money around in sums that they clearly can't".

It's gross, borderline anti-competitive and the worst direction the fudgy console war could take.

And yes, I'm actually mad at this. fudge Spencer.

kitler53

Theres a statement from Todd Howard where he says no matter where or what you play on they will still experience their games.  Let me find it.  

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4IwKWIj174Cb2QNTTtBAEb/todd-howard-on-joining-xbox
nothing about that statement should be seen as confirmation for ps5 releases.

Microsoft and their new Xbox crew had a view, that I came to share completely. Shouldn't we allow anyone to have this experience?
until i see halo on ps5 ms's vision is still to let gamers play anywhere they want as long as they want to play on pc or xbox or xcloud.   bethesda now shares that vision. 

DerNebel

i can see that too.  ps5's first year is nuts.  but MS is likely to keep buying shame.  by the end of ps5 there might be no big 3rd party studios left.   at the rate i expect MS to buy: activision, ubisoft, EA before the end of the gen.  capcom and SE would be harder because they are japanese but it won't matter,..  then the games industry is "fully" consolidated under MS at that point.
And isn't that just what we always wanted? :)

This forum needs a puke emoji.

Xevross

Sep 21, 2020, 02:33 PM Last Edit: Sep 21, 2020, 02:36 PM by Xevross
i can see that too.  ps5's first year is nuts.  but MS is likely to keep buying shame.  by the end of ps5 there might be no big 3rd party studios left.   at the rate i expect MS to buy: activision, ubisoft, EA before the end of the gen.  capcom and SE would be harder because they are japanese but it won't matter,..  then the games industry is "fully" consolidated under MS at that point.
Absolutely. Also the xbox/ PS total console sales has remained almost exactly flat since the first gen they were competing.:

PS2 155-160M + xbox 24M = ~180M
PS3 ~88M + X360 ~87M = ~175M
PS4 ~120M + XB1 ~55M = ~175M

I don't see any possibility that xbox doesn't grow this gen, I'm predicting 75M. I think due to series S total sales will grow for the first time due to more people owning both consoles, but some of that will still be a steal from playstation. Unless there's something unforseen which dramatically grows the console market this gen, PS4's 120M is the ceiling for PS5 I think. And I also see no scenario where PS5 is behind the PS4 launch aligned within at least the first two years.

About all that buying, that would be nuts. Microsoft have a lot of money but they don't want to go all in on xbox without evidence that its going to work out. Bethesda is huge already, that's probably it for a long time.

It's not about Sony being caught with their pants down, it's about a trillion dollar company deciding "oh wait, our nearest competitor isn't even a tenth of our size, we can just start throwing money around in sums that they clearly can't".

It's gross, borderline anti-competitive and the worst direction the fudgy console war could take.

And yes, I'm actually mad at this. fudge Spencer.
Well yeah I guess it is similar, Sony are making some mistakes and are being somewhat complacent but this is also a huge move from Microsoft. Its a combination of both. Microsoft want xbox with game pass to become the netflix of gaming but even more dominant with no real rival services. Looks like right now that its going to happen. Game Pass will be monstrous in a few years time and will start making a lot of money.

kitler53

Absolutely. Also the xbox/ PS total console sales has remained almost exactly flat since the first gen they were competing.:

PS2 155-160M + xbox 24M = ~180M
PS3 ~88M + X360 ~87M = ~175M
PS4 ~120M + XB1 ~55M = ~175M

I don't see any possibility that xbox doesn't grow this gen, I'm predicting 75M. I think due to series S total sales will grow for the first time due to more people owning both consoles, but some of that will still be a steal from playstation. Unless there's something unforseen which dramatically grows the console market this gen, PS4's 120M is the ceiling for PS5 I think. And I also see no scenario where PS5 is behind the PS4 launch aligned within at least the first two years.

About all that buying, that would be nuts. Microsoft have a lot of money but they don't want to go all in on xbox without evidence that its going to work out. Bethesda is huge already, that's probably it for a long time.
to get to the 100 m subscribers needed to sustain a profitable gamepass service:

1. ms needs even more first party.  more even than after this aquisistion really.   to be "netflix" like ms needs to release at least 1 AAA game every month and 2-3 smaller games.   ms will not get to 100 m active subscribers releasing only 5 games a year.  it is too easy to subscribe for a month and drop for 11 months if there isn't new content each and every month of the year.

2. ms needs the rest of the industry to be dying so as to make their meager offerings more appetizing.   being the "best deal in gaming" is easier to achievable by ensuring the competitors are weak instead of trying to make yourself strong.

Xevross

to get to the 100 m subscribers needed to sustain a profitable gamepass service:

1. ms needs even more first party.  more even than after this aquisistion really.   to be "netflix" like ms needs to release at least 1 AAA game every month and 2-3 smaller games.   ms will not get to 100 m active subscribers releasing only 5 games a year.  it is too easy to subscribe for a month and drop for 11 months if there isn't new content each and every month of the year.

2. ms needs the rest of the industry to be dying so as to make their meager offerings more appetizing.   being the "best deal in gaming" is easier to achievable by ensuring the competitors are weak instead of trying to make yourself strong.
They already have a lot of other games releasing on it every month though, its not just their first party that goes on there. I think you're either ignoring a lot of what's on game pass or it just doesn't line up with your taste at all.

I've just come to the end of my £1 game pass month on PC and I think I do want to keep it, there's just so many games to play for such a smaller price. If I get through everything on game pass that I want to play and then I'm just waiting for new additions then maybe it starts to become not worth it, but right now that's nowhere near happening. They add at least 5 games a month, most people don't play that many.

Go Up