PlayStation Community Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 03, 2014, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I feel like they overstate the issues with VR, while understating the issues with handhelds.

I would say the VR market is in better shape than they're stating. There's probably less excitement for VR right now by developers and consumers. I would say there's less "hype", but I also think the market is bigger than it's ever been. Quest 2 is the most successful headset ever, and I would just about guarantee that it's selling faster than the first VR headsets.

On the developer side, yeah there are fewer developers putting out experiences. But I think the developer support was wide, but it wasn't deep. There were lots of 1-4 experiences from a wide variety of developers. I would say today there are fewer developers, but they're making full fledged games instead. We're not getting any cheap Batman VR, 15 minute Disney VR experiences. But we're getting way more full length Resident Evil VR experiences, etc.

Also what makes for a sales success for Valve, doesn't necessarily make it worth the investment for Sony.

kitler53

Feb 06, 2023, 11:19 PM Last Edit: Feb 06, 2023, 11:21 PM by kitler53
Every game lately seems to be going to PC. It's not what I'd do if I was Sony, but it's already happening. Sure seems like Sony is repeating everything Microsoft is doing so they'll probably expand PS+ to PC too. Then you wouldn't need to rebuy.

Vita was amazing. I would have loved more support and a follow up, but at this point I have zero confidence that a Sony handheld could compete against Sony's PC interests.
there won't be cross buy with steam.  there will only be cross buy is Sony does a PC launcher and then it won't be native support with steam deck.  

I'd rather have a ps Vita 2. 

I feel like they overstate the issues with VR, while understating the issues with handhelds.

I would say the VR market is in better shape than they're stating. There's probably less excitement for VR right now by developers and consumers. I would say there's less "hype", but I also think the market is bigger than it's ever been. Quest 2 is the most successful headset ever, and I would just about guarantee that it's selling faster than the first VR headsets.

On the developer side, yeah there are fewer developers putting out experiences. But I think the developer support was wide, but it wasn't deep. There were lots of 1-4 experiences from a wide variety of developers. I would say today there are fewer developers, but they're making full fledged games instead. We're not getting any cheap Batman VR, 15 minute Disney VR experiences. But we're getting way more full length Resident Evil VR experiences, etc.

Also what makes for a sales success for Valve, doesn't necessarily make it worth the investment for Sony.
did you not see meta's "year of streamlining" or whatever?   meta is pulling back on VR too. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

did you not see meta's "year of streamlining" or whatever?   meta is pulling back on VR too.
No they're not pulling back on VR. It's one of their focus areas for the future along with AI.

Source
We still expect our full-year Reality Labs losses to increase in 2023, and we are going to continue to invest meaningfully in this area given the significant long-term opportunities that we see.
Even if they were pulling back on VR, that still doesn't mean much.  

Meta spends more than double for R&D on just Metaverse/VR/AR as Sony spends on everything R&D. As in all of Sony.

the-pi-guy

Extra:

Horizon Forbidden West
The Quarry
Resident Evil VII
Outriders
Scarlet Nexus
Borderlands 3
Tekken 7
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Earth Defense Force 5
Oninaki
Lost Sphear
I am Setsuna
The Forgotten City

Premium:

The Legend of Dragoon
Wild Arms 2
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
Destroy All Humans!

Dang, a pretty good month.

Legend

Extra:

Horizon Forbidden West
The Quarry
Resident Evil VII
Outriders
Scarlet Nexus
Borderlands 3
Tekken 7
Earth Defense Force 5
Oninaki
Lost Sphear
I am Setsuna
The Forgotten City

Premium:

The Legend of Dragoon
Wild Arms 2
Destroy All Humans!

Forgotten City is pretty interesting. I definitely recommend it.

kitler53

the inclusion of horizon is great....

...but i'm more worried about what's leaving.   i feaking bought the service so i could play returnal with my coop buddy.   it's next on our backlog so of fuking course it will leave this month won't it?!?!    he's luk warm on the title so if it's not "free" i probably can't get him to play it.   fuk fuk fuk fuk...

Dr. Pezus

Extra:

Horizon Forbidden West
The Quarry
Resident Evil VII
Outriders
Scarlet Nexus
Borderlands 3
Tekken 7
Earth Defense Force 5
Oninaki
Lost Sphear
I am Setsuna
The Forgotten City

Premium:

The Legend of Dragoon
Wild Arms 2
Destroy All Humans!

Wow that's great! I want Horizon, Tekken, RE7 and will  have a look at some others

the inclusion of horizon is great....

...but i'm more worried about what's leaving.   i feaking bought the service so i could play returnal with my coop buddy.   it's next on our backlog so of fuking course it will leave this month won't it?!?!    he's luk warm on the title so if it's not "free" i probably can't get him to play it.   fuk fuk fuk fuk...
Oh fudge still haven't started it. I should ASAP. What else is leaving?

kitler53

Wow that's great! I want Horizon, Tekken, RE7 and will  have a look at some others
Oh fudge still haven't started it. I should ASAP. What else is leaving?
I don't know that returnal is leaving.  that's the point though,.. we have no idea until it's gone.  

but if a huge game like horizon is coming I'll bet one of the biggest games on the service today leaves. 

Dr. Pezus

I don't know that returnal is leaving.  that's the point though,.. we have no idea until it's gone.  

but if a huge game like horizon is coming I'll bet one of the biggest games on the service today leaves.
But if I added it to my library already, will it disappear? Or does it work like PS Plus always did? Where I can keep as long as I'm subscribed

kitler53

But if I added it to my library already, will it disappear? Or does it work like PS Plus always did? Where I can keep as long as I'm subscribed
with extra when a game leaves you immediately lose access to it just like gamepass.  if you were in the middle of playing the game you'd have to buy the game to finish. 

only monthly games say as long as you are a subscriber. 

Dr. Pezus

with extra when a game leaves you immediately lose access to it just like gamepass.  if you were in the middle of playing the game you'd have to buy the game to finish.

only monthly games say as long as you are a subscriber.
Ugh. Well my guess is non Sony games will leave faster than Sony games

kitler53

Ugh. Well my guess is non Sony games will leave faster than Sony games
unless (as i suspect) they have some internal policy of only have X number of their games on the service at a time.

i think sony really wants to avoid being like xbox where no one buys their games because it's known to be coming to gamepass day-1 for free.   sony still wants people to buy GoW day-1 because you want to play it and you aren't really sure when or even if it will ever come to extra.   that uncertainty is what will keep their games selling.   

Legend

PlayStation Plus Free Games For March 2023 Revealed - GameSpot
Battlefield 2048, Minecraft Dungeons, Code Vein
Another month I can skip.

nnodley

ohh actual games i haven't bought yet. But will likely never play, but at least can get them.

the-pi-guy

Go Up