Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Oct 23, 2019, 10:49 PM Last Edit: Oct 23, 2019, 10:52 PM by Xevross
Box office mojo has been gutted by amazon/ imdb pro. Most interesting data has either been put behing imdb pro paywall (like looking at actors/ directors/ studios) or just deleted (theatre counts, ranking entries below #200). The UI is way worse and the website is quite broken right now, for example most of the weekend and month records are just plain wrong.

So yeah, BOM is basically dead. If y'all wanna just peruse box office number then The Numbers - Where Data and the Movie Business Meet is the place to go now, although its missing a few things that old BOM had, and its quite as nice to use. Ah well.

Xevross

Joker is the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time! Amazing! Also, according to deadline's estimates, its going to be in the top 10 most profitable films of all time as well, with as much as $500m profit for Warner Bros. Super amazing!

Dr. Pezus

Joker is the highest grossing R-rated movie of all time! Amazing! Also, according to deadline's estimates, its going to be in the top 10 most profitable films of all time as well, with as much as $500m profit for Warner Bros. Super amazing!
I'm shocked it didn't review well. Must've been something controversial in it I guess

the-pi-guy

I'm shocked it didn't review well. Must've been something controversial in it I guess
Yeah.  
I looked at a few of the bad reviews.  Complaints of how bloody the movie is, some of them barely even say anything.

Legend

Box office mojo has been gutted by amazon/ imdb pro. Most interesting data has either been put behing imdb pro paywall (like looking at actors/ directors/ studios) or just deleted (theatre counts, ranking entries below #200). The UI is way worse and the website is quite broken right now, for example most of the weekend and month records are just plain wrong.

So yeah, BOM is basically dead. If y'all wanna just peruse box office number then The Numbers - Where Data and the Movie Business Meet is the place to go now, although its missing a few things that old BOM had, and its quite as nice to use. Ah well.
Wow that really sucks. I've been following boxofficemojo for almost exactly 10 years.

the-pi-guy

Oct 26, 2019, 02:57 AM Last Edit: Oct 26, 2019, 03:03 AM by the-pi-guy
Wow that really sucks. I've been following boxofficemojo for almost exactly 10 years.
I remember looking at it in 7th grade, so I have been following somewhere around 10 years too. 

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Knives Out (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes

Hype! Great cast imo
I thought it looked 50 50 in the trailers. Pleasantly surprised!

the-pi-guy

First time I've looked at Boxofficemojo in the past few weeks.
Wow.  It's ridiculously bad.

Really solidifies the end of an era.  

Hopefully The Numbers catches on.   And either gets good updates or, BOM backs down from being dumb.  

Xevross

First time I've looked at Boxofficemojo in the past few weeks.
Wow.  It's ridiculously bad.

Really solidifies the end of an era.  

Hopefully The Numbers catches on.   And either gets good updates or, BOM backs down from being dumb.  
The Numbers already are, immediately picking up the slack with theatre counts. They're now doing a weekly report on theatre counts for all movies, so we aren't losing that information!

Legend

Saw the new terminator. It was really good. Glad to see that the franchise is back, although I will admit I liked salvation.

the-pi-guy

Nov 04, 2019, 04:43 AM Last Edit: Nov 04, 2019, 04:49 AM by the-pi-guy
Joker is the 4th biggest DC movie. 

And not terribly far from second place.  About 150m.

Xevross

Saw the new terminator. It was really good. Glad to see that the franchise is back, although I will admit I liked salvation.
Unfotunately its bombing hard so who knows if there'll be any more of these films.

Joker is the 4th biggest DC movie. 

And not terribly far from second place.  About 150m.
The Batman brand is so incredibly strong at the box office. Joker may well overtake the Dark Knight films and give Aquaman a run for its money at the rate its going.

the-pi-guy

The Numbers has some graphing stuff
https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Joker-(2019)/Batman-v-Superman-Dawn-of-Justice/Wonder-Woman-(2017)/Aquaman-(2018)#tab=day_by_day_comparison

Optimistically, there's a small chance Joker tops Aquaman domestically.  Pessimistically, it'll fall below Batman v Superman.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/international/all-movies/cumulative/all-time

Pretty impressive how well Joker is doing internationally though.  It's beaten all of the Dark Knight movies.  I think Aquaman is the only DC movie above it there.

Legend

We thinking Terminator will have an ok drop for its second weekend?

I don't remember which website was talking about its performance but one thing seemingly hurting it is just how bad the last terminator was. If that is the case, the drop might be relatively small.

Go Up