Battle of the Backlog

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

i really want to play control but saw all the performance issues.  i'm going to hold out for the inevitable better running version on ps5.
I never really had performance issues that affected my enjoyment. It was really only during fights that felt kinda crazy in my experience.

Well Control was shame. 29 game of the year awards? I don't think I've ever been so utterly baffled.
Aw, so I see you reached the ending huh? I guess I never posted my thoughts on it.

Great amazing game up till the ending starts. Really baffling.

Xevross

Aug 01, 2020, 04:34 PM Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 04:44 PM by Xevross
I'm curious.  
Performance is absolutely terrible, which isn't a good start. The game is so weird but it thinks its the best thing ever so it takes itself so seriously, I couldn't help but laugh at some moments. The story is just bad and uninteresting and told in such a weird convoluted way. The ending is also just so awful and anti-climactic, I literally burst out laughing.

Encounter design is bad, all the rooms are small and it often gets very messy. It can get difficult because you're in a small space with loads of enemies around you, you can't keep track of all of them and they all do attacks which kill you in 2 or 3 hits. The fps drops dramatically in combat constantly which often causes death. Then you get hit with a 1minute+ loading screen to respawn and it takes ages to get back to where you were from the respawn point. The levels are fairly small and linear yet fast travel also takes about a minute sometimes.

The actual gameplay is okay but there's nothing particularly special about it. You just have a few different weapon forms but can only switch between two at a time, which is odd. Then there's dodging and launching items at enemies which are just kind of basic third person style systems. There's a somewhat interesting upgrade system but its overall pretty basic. You can get weapon and player mods that allow for slightly different builds but they're small upgrades and you can't have many so its not that important.

I guess its an overall fairly competently constructed third person video game. The graphics are pretty good. World design is interesting and there's lots of side missions and stuff to do if you happen to actually enjoy playing.

I think overall I'd give it a 5/10, one of the worst games I've played on PS4.

I never really had performance issues that affected my enjoyment. It was really only during fights that felt kinda crazy in my experience.
Aw, so I see you reached the ending huh? I guess I never posted my thoughts on it.

Great amazing game up till the ending starts. Really baffling.
Well I disagree on the great amazing part. I though it was pretty meh and wasn't enjoying myself so I rushed to the ending, and the ending was just awful and cemented my negative feelings.

I can understand why people might like it, especially if they play it on a platform where Remedy actually bothered to make it run decently. But I wouldn't even say any single part of the game is great or amazing never mind the game overall.

Legend

Performance is absolutely terrible, which isn't a good start. The game is so weird but it thinks its the best thing ever so it takes itself so seriously, I couldn't help but laugh at some moments. The story is just bad and uninteresting and told in such a weird convoluted way. The ending is also just so awful and anti-climactic, I literally burst out laughing.

Encounter design is bad, all the rooms are small and it often gets very messy. It can get difficult because you're in a small space with loads of enemies around you, you can't keep track of all of them and they all do attacks which kill you in 2 or 3 hits. The fps drops dramatically in combat constantly which often causes death. Then you get hit with a 1minute+ loading screen to respawn and it takes ages to get back to where you were from the respawn point. The levels are fairly small and linear yet fast travel also takes about a minute sometimes.

The actual gameplay is okay but there's nothing particularly special about it. You just have a few different weapon forms but can only switch between two at a time, which is odd. Then there's dodging and launching items at enemies which are just kind of basic third person style systems. There's a somewhat interesting upgrade system but its overall pretty basic. You can get weapon and player mods that allow for slightly different builds but they're small upgrades and you can't have many so its not that important.

I guess its an overall fairly competently constructed third person video game. The graphics are pretty good. World design is interesting and there's lots of side missions and stuff to do if you happen to actually enjoy playing.

I think overall I'd give it a 5/10, one of the worst games I've played on PS4.
Well I disagree on the great amazing part. I though it was pretty meh and wasn't enjoying myself so I rushed to the ending, and the ending was just awful and cemented my negative feelings.

I can understand why people might like it, especially if they play it on a platform where Remedy actually bothered to make it run decently. But I wouldn't even say any single part of the game is great or amazing never mind the game overall.
You rushed...

Did you miss the fridge?

I took my time with it and really enjoyed reading documents and thinking about the world. If the game didn't hook you early on, I can only imagine how horrible most of it was.

Will need to pull out my play notes to see if I agreed with you on some of the combat things.

Xevross

Aug 01, 2020, 05:11 PM Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 05:20 PM by Xevross
You rushed...

Did you miss the fridge?

I took my time with it and really enjoyed reading documents and thinking about the world. If the game didn't hook you early on, I can only imagine how horrible most of it was.

Will need to pull out my play notes to see if I agreed with you on some of the combat things.

Yes I think its definitely one of those spiral games. If it hooks you and you get into it its more rewarding but if it doesn't you end up with an experience like mine.

I started the fridge thing but died to the boss first time and couldn't be bothered to try again. The boss knocked a part of the floor away near the edge of the map and I didn't have the floor on my screen so I didn't realise that there was no floor anymore and yeah... When I just straight up died and had to wait a minute to respawn again I though well fudge that and moved on.

Basically a good summary of a lot of my experience with the game.

I think after about main mission 3 or 4 I didn't bother with a single side mission, I was already fed up. Edit: it was after one of those pop up timed missions. I went through a minute load screen to teleport to the place it was telling me to go and then made my way from the control point, the game lagged to hell and I died and apparently failed the mission. Took a minute to respawn and then a minute to travel back to where I was. After that I was like holy shame this game is just wasting so much of my time and decided not to do any side shame after that. The fridge was an exception because it was easy to start and I wa intrigued. I thought it was pretty dumb anyway.

Legend

Yes I think its definitely one of those spiral games. If it hooks you and you get into it its more rewarding but if it doesn't you end up with an experience like mine.

I started the fridge thing but died to the boss first time and couldn't be bothered to try again. The boss knocked a part of the floor away near the edge of the map and I didn't have the floor on my screen so I didn't realise that there was no floor anymore and yeah... When I just straight up died and had to wait a minute to respawn again I though well fudge that and moved on.

Basically a good summary of a lot of my experience with the game.

I think after about main mission 3 or 4 I didn't bother with a single side mission, I was already fed up. Edit: it was after one of those pop up timed missions. I went through a minute load screen to teleport to the place it was telling me to go and then made my way from the control point, the game lagged to hell and I died and apparently failed the mission. Took a minute to respawn and then a minute to travel back to where I was. After that I was like holy shame this game is just wasting so much of my time and decided not to do any side shame after that. The fridge was an exception because it was easy to start and I wa intrigued. I thought it was pretty dumb anyway.
I seemingly didn't take any notes or even post about the game before...

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>The fridge thing was so cool. After it I was really expecting a mindfuck of an ending which made the actual ending sting even more.<br><br>Those random missions sucked. I did one before never thinking about them again.<br><br>Your experience with the fridge monster was like mine with the mold monster. I was intrigued with the mold area but after dying a few times to the boss, I really didn&#39;t care to keep trying.<br><br><br><br>I think the fake ending was so stupid. When it happened I literally felt like the game was trolling me. No freaking way would the game just end after reaching the giant sphere whatcha call it. So then when the real ending was only like 30 minutes later with hardly any payoff, it just felt stupid. Like the worst game ending I&#39;ve ever experienced. Man I wish I had notes cause I&#39;m sure my reaction was a lot more harsh.<br>

Overall I'd rate it maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10. I wouldn't mind playing the dlc or a sequel.

the-pi-guy

Aug 02, 2020, 04:29 AM Last Edit: Aug 02, 2020, 04:33 AM by the-pi-guy
I'm about 60% done with Medievil. Not able to play very much.  

But overall I would say:
9/10 at its best.  
5/10 at its worst.  
8/10 overall probably.  

The game gets easier if you do different levels.  If you are having trouble with one, sometimes it helps immensely to go to the other level that's available.  Getting different weapons that make it possible to kill a type of enemy. Getting health boosts.  
It makes it feel like there's a specific order that the levels should be played.

And again, the levels are on the larger side with no checkpoints. Which for the most part hasn't been an issue.  But it means if you die in a level, it might end up being 30 minutes to an hour before you make any progress.  

Load times again are on the high end.  Load to the map, load a level is quite lengthy.  

Well the game is done. That puts me at 3 finished games the past few months. Which is probably more than I've done in a few years.

Thoughts remain the same.  

Decent game with some big issues. Particularly performance issues.

I thought it would be an easy platinum but two of the platinums require basically playing through the game again.  Which I'm not up for.

Part of me feels like I'm being generous with the score

Part of me wonders if I would have like this game more when I was younger.  Just drags on a lot.  

I'll say again. The game was fine.  Not great.

I think I'm going to go back to God of War 3. Finish up my PS3 backlog, the part that I care about at least.  

After that:
-try KH3 again
-replay Horizon
-God of War PS4
-Spiderman

the-pi-guy

God of War 3 is beaten.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Your copy wasn't broken?

This SUCKS!!! My God of War 3 Copy is glitched wtf | NeoGAF
Well I did have a few glitches.  Mostly with the video player. Some of the cut scenes would repeat in the middle.

Also was a tad worried that the game did glitch. :P
Kind of weird how it's the only time where you basically dont follow the button prompt.

Dr. Pezus

Working my way through Doom 2016. I'm pretty far in. It's pleasantly difficult at times.

the-pi-guy

That thread is really great.  

OP switching thumbs, pausing the game, resetting the console.   ;D

I was thinking something was up after 30 seconds.  OP switches thumbs and is still trying to beat up Zeus.

Legend

Aug 14, 2020, 10:07 PM Last Edit: Aug 14, 2020, 10:09 PM by Legend
Played Erica.

Really loved how it controlled. Reminded me a bit of Heavy Rain with move controllers.

Enjoyable little movie game.

Now I can free up 40gb on my system!

Legend

Added a few games including ghost of tsushima. I have pretty much only explored it from a game developer point of view. Need to actually progress and play it.

Starting Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Xevross

I played Halo 1 and 2 co-op with a friend who hadn't played them before either. They were good games, the first was better than the second although it suffered from its repeated level design towards the end. I can imagine how they might have been amazing when they first came out, especially with the multiplayer. For now though it just feels like another FPS series, albeit a good one.

Legend

Finished Firewatch. Started incredibly good (go buffs) but ended pretty mixed. Some things felt like plot holes.

Go Up