PlayStation Community Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 03, 2014, 03:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

May 03, 2014, 03:25 PM Last Edit: Sep 14, 2015, 07:09 PM by Dr. Pezus
Post whatever you want, but about Playstation please!

Xevross

All playstation news is worthy of a thread! C'mon...

Raven

Former Sony CEO Thought PlayStation Was Just 'a Toy'

Although PlayStation is now one of Sony's most profitable divisions, it wasn't too long ago that the company as a whole thought of the PlayStation console as simply a toy. Ken Kutaragi, father of the PlayStation, was originally involved in designing toys for Sony, but many of the top brass didn't like that the Sony brand was being placed on a toy, which ultimately led him to the creation of the original PlayStation, or PS1.

In an interview in Game Informer, Andrew House said:

When I told my former boss at Sony that I was going to go work for Ken, his first reaction was, "But it's a toy! How can you go work on a toy?" I said that I thought it has more potential than that, but that was exactly the reaction.

Ken Kutaragi elaborated, that the original reason for calling the department "Sony Computer Entertainment" was because it aligned with the names of other Sony departments, such as Sony Pictures Entertainment, Music Entertainment:

Former CEO Norio Ohga-san suggested that, "Sony Computer Entertainment was such a big name, why are you using that - such a grand name - for a video game?" But I personally believed computer entertainment would become a big industry, all around the world, in the future.

Say what you will about Ken Kutaragi's vision with the PS3, but his decisions with the PS1 and PS2 are still having a massive effect on the way gaming has been moving forward.

http://www.playstationing.com/features/former-sony-ceo-thought-playstation-was-just-a-toy/370

darkknightkryta

Yeah, kinda sad when you think about it.  Sony literally had the whole "app" craze with their PSP.  If only people at Sony weren't so stupid and living in the past.  Like I'm sure if Kaz had his way before things would be different.

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Dr. Pezus

Dr. Pezus

Drifter is an open-world sandbox space trading game with a procedurally-generated galaxy 100,000 light years across made up of tens of thousands of star systems to explore and features an original soundtrack by composer Danny Baranowsky and now it is coming to PS4 and PS Vita! (http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/) Take on the role of a spaceship captain attempting to eke out a living among the stars by trading goods between star systems, hunting pirates for bounties, mining asteroids for valuable ore, or even becoming a pirate yourself. The choice is yours!

Dr. Pezus

Dr. Pezus

Holy shiiii. The CoD reveal trailer has over 12m views already.

Dr. Pezus

Raven

Go Up