The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Legend

isn't gear vr already out?
Innovator edition launched last year at $200.

Upgraded/final version releases this year at $100.

Raven

That seems low.
Not really. It's definitely a conservative estimate and probably driven even more so by the uncertainty of the public reaction since this isn't easy to market. It's probably not going to be cheap, either. Don't look for VR to explode early on. This is something that will rely on word of mouth so the burn is going to be slower than, say, motion controls.

the-pi-guy

Not really. It's definitely a conservative estimate and probably driven even more so by the uncertainty of the public reaction since this isn't easy to market. It's probably not going to be cheap, either. Don't look for VR to explode early on. This is something that will rely on word of mouth so the burn is going to be slower than, say, motion controls.
Yeah, at this point, it's hard to say how successful VR will be.  

I'm becoming more optimistic as time goes on, seeing all the devs and all the games.  But we still don't know the price, and don't know how willing most people are to jump onto the bandwagon.  

Better to say "it'll fail" and be wrong, and still have clients that are making money.  
Than the opposite to say "it'll do great" and be wrong, and have clients invest in the wrong places.  

Legend

VR also is so hard to market.

How the heck do you make a good commercial?

Raven

That... that is what I said....

the-pi-guy

A good commercial?  Doable.

A great commercial?  Impossible.  (or pretty close?)

Mmm_fish_tacos

Oct 29, 2015, 01:02 AM Last Edit: Oct 29, 2015, 01:07 AM by Mmm_fish_tacos
I think people think way to much into how to market it. Just show good games, And have stands set up at every major department store. I have a feeling most people have an idea of what to expect with VR. Unless they're being cynical about it not wanting to give it a chance for "reasons''.  Plus word of mouth is going to be huge push for VR, as it already is. It's pretty hard to find someone that's tried VR and talk shame about it.

Personally if it launches in summer, at a 300 dollar price point I can see it selling over 3 million next year. Not a rocket start but very decent.

the-pi-guy

I think people think way to much into how to market it. Just show good games, And have stands set up at every major department store. I have a feeling most people have an idea of what to expect with VR. Unless they're being cyclical about it not wanting to give it a chance for "reasons''.  Plus word of mouth is going to be huge push for VR, as it already is. It's pretty hard to find someone that's tried VR and talk shame about it.

Personally if it launches in summer, at a 300 dollar price point I can see it selling over 3 million this year. Not a rocket start but very decent.
Release in the summer, still sell 3 million this year?  :o

I think the underlined is what needs to happen.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

Oct 29, 2015, 01:06 AM Last Edit: Oct 29, 2015, 01:24 AM by Mmm_fish_tacos
Release in the summer, still sell 3 million this year?  :o

I think the underlined is what needs to happen.  

Why not? you'll have summer fall and winter. Plus the holidays WW. why is 3 million so hard to believe? It could be the ''it'' thing come Christmas depending on game out put.

Edit. never mind I see my mistake. dang you Pi!

Legend

That... that is what I said....
I think I need more sleep. Completely skipped the middle of your post.

A good commercial?  Doable.

A great commercial?  Impossible.  (or pretty close?)
The problem imo is that cgi and live action commercials are already really common.

They show the player physically inside the game yet everyone knows this isn't how the game actually plays. A VR commercial needs to stress that it's not marketing tricks but an accurate representation of the experience.

the-pi-guy

The problem imo is that cgi and live action commercials are already really common.

They show the player physically inside the game yet everyone knows this isn't how the game actually plays. A VR commercial needs to stress that it's not marketing tricks but an accurate representation of the experience.
If you want to go down that route, then you could start the ad with a player putting a headset on first.  

Kerotan

Oct 29, 2015, 07:45 AM Last Edit: Oct 29, 2015, 07:51 AM by Kerotan
Ps4 will have shipped roughly 40m units by the time this launches.  That massive base greatly increases it's chances of being successful.  

I'm going to go with 3m shipped in 2016.

The fact the ps4 is selling so well is making it easy for Sony to court developers to support this.  I well believe the 200 devopers working on psvr that they announced at PGW.

Also dreams would be the perfect game for psvr.  Maybe even rename the VR version as Morpheus!

Another is MGS: VR MISSIONS.  

That's a no brainer.

the-pi-guy

I'm blown away someone made this.

Legend

Go Up