Make predictions about unknown things so future people can laugh at us

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Jul 10, 2019, 04:18 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Watched a pbs show about balloon flights and pre rocket ventures to the edge of space. They were really worried about cosmic rays for example. Also for a while people thought Earth might be hollow, that Mars had canals, and so forth.

So what things do you think are true that might end up making you look silly?

I think low gravity is probably fine. 1g is great and 0g has some issues that extend beyond needing extra exercise. In between we don't know yet. I'd bet that even just .1g is enough to be fine. In reality anything below 1g might be really bad so only time will tell.

I also think space radiation is probably fine. Sheilds are needed during specific events but ambient exposure will end up not being that bad.

I believe the most likely answer to the fermi paradox is that their is a great filter of sorts between simple prokaryotes and eukaryotes. Celluar life like we understand it might be universal in a sense and develop easily under lots of conditions. Advancing from that is the hard part. We are first through the gate in our area and there just isn't complex life beyond us for billions of light years. With the speed of light being so slow and the universe being alone, almost every species would feel alone. I really love the concept of non cell based beings but they seemingly must be super rare.