What percentage of your game library is physical/digital?

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 19, 2021, 02:36 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

During the PS3/PS4 gen, I primarily bought physical copies for practical reasons. Low download speeds and low storage space meant that wanting to play a game could have meant waiting 3 days, and deleting a game that would require another 3 days of waiting if I decided to play it.  

It got a lot easier with an external drive. Plenty of space to keep everything downloaded, but still not very practical.  

Now at my current home, I can download games in 10 minutes. Which is a major change.  

There are still some pros and cons to both physical and digital. The sales are often better for physical copies. The convenience is great for digital.

As of late, I've been opting to repurchase digital games on sale. Bloodborne and God of War, as they were less than $10 each. At least I've been doing it with games I love, games I don't have quite as much interest in, I will just leave as a physical copy.  

Legend

Driveclub and Battlefront are the only times I went for digital instead of a disc. Lol isn't that a trend?

I play a lot of gamepass and ps+ games and I buy a lot of digital only games, but I go with physical whenever I can. Feels better to own a disc and have them on a shelf.

kitler53

100% digital since late in the ps3 gen other then astrobot just because it was bundled with my psvr. 

i love the convience.  i never sold games back so that bit doesn't bother me.  was tired of the shelf space wasted on game,.. i prefer my room uncluttered.  digital is as cheap as physical if you watch the sales,.. they hit at different times but you can get the same deals. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

99% digital nowadays

Dr. Pezus

Legend

I'm waiting till Friday on Deathloop so that I can avoid digital.

Lol I can download games faster than I can copy them from disc, but I really prefer having a physical manifistation of my library.

kitler53

I'm waiting till Friday on Deathloop so that I can avoid digital.

Lol I can download games faster than I can copy them from disc, but I really prefer having a physical manifistation of my library.
you're being really weird about this game...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

It's me. When am I not being at least a little bit weird?

BananaKing

Digital is really growing in the ration department. Even if I'm not counting PS+

I can just find cheaper deals on digital than I find on physical. Also digital is just more comfortable and convenient I find.

But for some reason I still like to buy my must have games as physical

the-pi-guy

I think he's just being weird in general. 
Who calls blu-ray disks a "physical manifestation"

It's me. When am I not being at least a little bit weird?
Don't you hate it when my words get used against you?

the-pi-guy

The convenience of digital, and having kids has really been pushing me towards digital. Which hadn't been the case for the past several years.  Had a strong preference for physical.  During the PS4 gen, there were games I regretted buying digitally. During the PS5 gen, I'm regretting buying anything physically.

Currently all the games and movies are stored in my office in the basement, to limit the kids getting into them.  And the TV is upstairs.  

That has also been a big motivator for Plex.

At some point I think I will rebuy Demons Souls digitally.  
Recently bought a digital copy of MGS V, even though I've yet to play the physical copy I have downstairs. But maybe I'll play it sooner this way.

Legend

Do you have ps+? Pretty sure mgsv was on that not too long ago.

One joy with physical is half the time you end up with a digital copy down the road anyway.

the-pi-guy

Do you have ps+? Pretty sure mgsv was on that not too long ago.
Nope.
I don't have much interest in PS+.