God of War delayed to 2022, GT7 and GoW coming to PS4

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 02, 2021, 05:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Legend

Free climb is interesting. I watched the interview but I'm still not sure if they mean AC style or something else.

Xevross

Free climb is interesting. I watched the interview but I'm still not sure if they mean AC style or something else.
Its gonna be something like AC or BOTW. You can climb everything anyways.

Also I'm feeling less disappointed about this news now. As I said about Horizon before, it would be a huge hype booster if GOW and GT7 were next gen only and would possibly result in some marginal gains in their quality (e.g. removal of shimmying through gaps in GOW) but its probably not that big, otherwise they would have cancelled the last gen versions. The games will still be as good as they were ever going to be.

Sony lying and being shady is the sucky part, but it is what it is. Horizon still blew me away with its graphics, GOW certainly will too. We just might not see some crazy gameplay leaps like with Ratchet, but that's okay, we're still getting good advancements like all the new traversal & massively improved melee in Horizon.

BananaKing

Sony always supported its older consoles after a launch of a new one. PS4 getting miles, horizon, GT7 and GoW is awesome for PS4 and its owners.

Yes, its a bit disappointing that GoW and Horizon theoretically can't take full advantage of the PS5. But they most likely never would have anyways. Early releases like killzone SF, infamous didnt really take full advantage of PS4. Yes, they looked great, but so does HFW.

I think if GoW was having trouble running on PS4 SSM would have dropped it and Sony would have agreed. But its most likely it could have been scalled down and SSM said why not? Or when production started SSM wanted to release on PS4 too, meaning the vision for the game was never compromised in the first place

kitler53

Jun 03, 2021, 08:24 PM Last Edit: Jun 03, 2021, 08:29 PM by kitler53
Sony always supported its older consoles after a launch of a new one. PS4 getting miles, horizon, GT7 and GoW is awesome for PS4 and its owners.

Yes, its a bit disappointing that GoW and Horizon theoretically can't take full advantage of the PS5. But they most likely never would have anyways. Early releases like killzone SF, infamous didnt really take full advantage of PS4. Yes, they looked great, but so does HFW.

I think if GoW was having trouble running on PS4 SSM would have dropped it and Sony would have agreed. But its most likely it could have been scalled down and SSM said why not? Or when production started SSM wanted to release on PS4 too, meaning the vision for the game was never compromised in the first place
by my standards that stills means it was compromised because no one ever bothered to ask,..  "what can we do with the SSD that would have never been possible before?"

i'm really not sure what GT would do that couldn't be backported to ps4.  it's just graphics, framerate, and maybe a better physics engine but at the end of the day a racing sim isn't going to do anything true imaginative.  it's still going to be a car going through a road as fast as it can...

...but i think GoW especially could have done something impressive because GoW is known for BIG cinematic boss fights.  instead of the 20 year old mentality of a boss fight being a static room with a dude with a large health bar,.. GoW could done something truely new by blending the boss fight with the "set piece" or something.  i'm not exactly great on being innovative but i'll bet SM could have come up with something if they had just committed to ps5 exclusive.

--edit--
like, imagine that instead of this dragon fight:

...imagine the dragon takes flight when kratos is on his back and the fight takes place (in part) in transit from location to location throughout midgard.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Legend

That's really gross.

Barlog is awesome but why do so many people have to suck.

kitler53

geez, the internet is really a toxic place.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Disgusting.

But did he just confirm he is working on the GoW game? Because it was rumored/speculated he was working on a new ip

Also like I said, seems the development team from the outset decided they want to work on PS4, their vision for the game was never really compromised by releasing on PS4 it seems

the-pi-guy

Disgusting.

But did he just confirm he is working on the GoW game? Because it was rumored/speculated he was working on a new ip
We know SMS is working on a new IP.
The general belief was that Cory handed off the project to someone else, and from what I recall he's been kind of weird about whether or not he's working on GoW.  

But it seems like Eric Williams might be the person heading the new IP, instead of Cory.
Also like I said, seems the development team from the outset decided they want to work on PS4, their vision for the game was never really compromised by releasing on PS4 it seems
For me, I really like hearing that. It seems like it was probably Cory's call, not Sony's.  

the-pi-guy

Now that I've had time to process all this.

God of War, GT7 seemingly won't have the $70 price hike. And if these decisions are driven by the developers, that's great too.

I think it would be interesting to see what kinds of differences come between the PS4/PS5 versions. I'm hopeful that we see some things take more advantage of the platform.

Legend

Now that I've had time to process all this.

God of War, GT7 seemingly won't have the $70 price hike. And if these decisions are driven by the developers, that's great too.

I think it would be interesting to see what kinds of differences come between the PS4/PS5 versions. I'm hopeful that we see some things take more advantage of the platform.
I think that's way too optimistic.

MLB The Show is on both systems yet costs $70 on PS5 and $60 on PS4. If God of War 2 is not $70, then that price is dead imo.

Also it's great that this seemingly isn't a bad sign for the game itself, devs aren't in a battle with corporate, but the marketing and missed opportunity still stings. I really hope GOW2 is like Titanfall or Shadow of Mordor where the last gen version had little effect on the next gen version, but I expect it to be like Forbidden West with a PS4 version, a PS4 pro version, and a PS4 pro pro version.

the-pi-guy

I think that's way too optimistic.

MLB The Show is on both systems yet costs $70 on PS5 and $60 on PS4. If God of War 2 is not $70, then that price is dead imo.
It may be.  

I think that's the only first party exception. We already know Horizon is getting a free upgrade unlike MLB.  

Xevross

Disgusting.

Yeah the rumours a while ago were that he left a summary of the direction of the next two games to his successor and he was moving on to new IP.

But maybe a year or so ago a verified PS employee on Era said in the PS studios thread something along the lines of "you guys know Cory is directing the god of war sequel right?".

darkknightkryta

Disgusting.

He could just be what Jaffe was doing on God of War 2 and 3, where he's working on the game, but not the main director or anything.  I think he [Jaffe] still has early concepts from God of War 3, before he left, in his notebook.

Go Up