God of War delayed to 2022, GT7 and GoW coming to PS4

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 02, 2021, 05:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Hermen Hulst Q&A: What's Next for PlayStation Studios - PlayStation.Blog

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 -- for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 -- we'll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.
So we have, currently, two very big, very narrative-driven games in development: Horizon Forbidden West and the next God of War. And for both of those, they're frankly affected by access to performance capture and talent. For Horizon, we think we are on track to release this holiday season. But that isn't quite certain yet, and we're working as hard as we can to confirm that to you as soon as we can.

And for God of War, the project started a little later. So we've made the decision to push that game out to next year, to ensure that Santa Monica Studio can deliver the amazing God of War game that we all want to play.

the-pi-guy

Jun 02, 2021, 05:10 PM Last Edit: Jun 02, 2021, 05:12 PM by the-pi-guy
A tad disappointing.

Legend

Delay is fine, PS4 port sucks.

What the heck was Playstation doing this gen? Hype everyone up for next gen exclusives only for them to not exist?

the-pi-guy

Jun 02, 2021, 05:26 PM Last Edit: Jun 02, 2021, 05:33 PM by the-pi-guy
And you know, Bend Studio is working on a very exciting new IP that they're very, very passionate about. They're building on the deep open-world systems that they developed with Days Gone. So I'm really happy for Bend Studio.
Confirms part of Jason's story.  

We're building Team Asobi in Tokyo, a world-class studio that are developing a franchise for all ages with global appeal. Such a creative team.

Xevross

Delay is fine, PS4 port sucks.

What the heck was Playstation doing this gen? Hype everyone up for next gen exclusives only for them to not exist?
Yeah man, I defended Sony after the Horizon and Spidey crossgen news against people who called them liars. But they're goddam liars, this fricking sucks. Why would you hide this news, any other reason outside of falsely inflating demand for your next gen console for as long as possible?

This is so disappointing and so shaming. Sony's bad communication strikes again.

God of War crossgen, fudge.

Xevross

Xevross

How much will a PS4 game actually sell in 2022? God of War 2 will be <10% PS4 version for sales. I don't really understand.

the-pi-guy

With Horizon and Spiderman, I thought a couple of games wasn't a big deal, and they were announced that way before the PS5 was even released.

It would have been better if they had something like, "we listened to you guys, we decided to make it cross gen" or something along those lines.

Instead it just feels like they were lying about it.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

With Horizon and Spiderman, I thought a couple of games wasn't a big deal, and they were announced that way before the PS5 was even released.

It would have been better if they had something like, "we listened to you guys, we decided to make it cross gen" or something along those lines.

Instead it just feels like they were lying about it.
It feels like they were lying about it because they were lying about it.

Well the first part is battleship. "low availability" for the fastest selling console of all time. Next gen exclusives early on in a generation were never a problem before, why would they be now?

kitler53

Jun 02, 2021, 07:08 PM Last Edit: Jun 02, 2021, 07:15 PM by kitler53
disappointing to be sure.  

...but as i can't play my ps5 for another few months i feel disconnected from the news.   

also, tbf, R&C is the only game so far that looks like it is using the power of the ps5 for more than just visuals.   it makes sense that if you can dial back the graphic fidelity and get it to run on ps4 that you'd do that.   for me the most disappointing part is that sony isn't making more games where the SSD is a requirement for gameplay not just a convenience for load times.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

disappointing to be sure.  

...but as i can't play my ps5 for another few months i feel disconnected from the news.  

also, tbf, R&C is the only game so far that looks like it is using the power of the ps5 for more than just visuals.   it makes sense that if you can dial back the graphic fidelity and get it to run on ps4 that you'd do that.   for me the most disappointing part is that sony isn't making more games where the SSD is a requirement for gameplay not just a convenience for load times.
Exactly.

If GOW2 can run on PS4, it's good that more players can enjoy it. The issue is that last year once PS5 specs were locked in, they didn't settle on a design that was only possible with next gen hardware.

Ratchet is seemingly the only game that viewed the PS5 as something more than a PS4 Pro Pro.

It feels like they were lying about it because they were lying about it.Well the first part is battleship. "low availability" for the fastest selling console of all time. Next gen exclusives early on in a generation were never a problem before, why would they be now?
It's just one more example of modern Sony looking like they want to extract wealth from PlayStation without investing in it (outside buying 3rd party exclusives).

Dr. Pezus

GOW delay expected but wow horizon might miss this year. I really don't see why GOW would be cross gen. Gt7 maybe

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Jun 03, 2021, 02:22 PM Last Edit: Jun 03, 2021, 02:31 PM by the-pi-guy
Gran Turismo 7, after all, was outright advertised as a PS5 exclusive in December, although to be fair to Sony, I understand the decision to release a PS4 version was made only fairly recently. For Horizon Forbidden West and God of War, however, these games were always intended to release as cross-gen titles, I was told, but Sony did not mention the last-gen console during the announcement of either title.
Forget business sense, Sony's cross-gen U-turn is disappointing for PS5's potential | VGC

GoW was supposedly always intended to be a PS4 game.
GT7 was supposedly a recent decision.