A Sony/Pirates of the Caribbean game needs to happen

Started by BananaKing, May 18, 2021, 01:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

BananaKing

Insomniac, GG, sucker punch and SSM could all do wonders with this franchise.

Seriously after the success of spiderman Sony could convince Disney to collaborate on other IPs Disney has.

The witcher 3 type open world with all these sea monsters, AC4 type of naval combat, and GoW quality gameplay. Sony Santa Monica would nail this.

kitler53

sure.  jumanji would be more fun. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

sure.  jumanji would be more fun.
Hell no...

kitler53

Hell no...
hell yes Jumanji could be fun.  they'd need to nail the randomness factor but it could be great. 

if a pirate game was to be made pirates of the Caribbean would be the IP to use I suppose.  not sure the IP brings much other than a title though.  ...and where are we with our feelings about Johnny Depp these days?

your biggest flaw is that the 4 studios you listed are already on great franchises.   I wouldn't pull any of them off of what they are doing to work on pirates so maybe bend?

BananaKing

hell yes Jumanji could be fun.  they'd need to nail the randomness factor but it could be great.

if a pirate game was to be made pirates of the Caribbean would be the IP to use I suppose.  not sure the IP brings much other than a title though.  ...and where are we with our feelings about Johnny Depp these days?

your biggest flaw is that the 4 studios you listed are already on great franchises.   I wouldn't pull any of them off of what they are doing to work on pirates so maybe bend?
SSM need to work on another IP IMO. Dont let the studio get fatigued with it.

I love johny depp, and to be honest I dont follow all these stories about celebrities and their battleship, but from what I understand is that his ex was lying and she was actually the one commiting the domestic abuse, and basically black mailing him to ruin his rep with the media.

I actually think that the only thing jumanji would bring would be a title. PotC has a lot of lore, characters and interesting ideas the game can pull on and use.

the-pi-guy

your biggest flaw is that the 4 studios you listed are already on great franchises.   I wouldn't pull any of them off of what they are doing to work on pirates so maybe bend?
SSM we know has a second team.
GG is rumored to have a second team.
Insomniac is harder to say, but they have a great pipeline, and could very well have a third team.  

BananaKing

Insomniac should ditch ratchet and clank for the mega IP that is pirates. It would he a lot more lucrative than ratchet

kitler53

Insomniac should ditch ratchet and clank for the mega IP that is pirates. It would he a lot more lucrative than ratchet
you are dead to me.

BananaKing

you are dead to me.
I knew you would react this way. But its time to open your eyes

Legend

Pirates is past its prime. I think a game using it could be really really cool but at this point why not just make it an original pirate ip?

Jumanji would be horrific but makes more sense imo. Sony owns it, the movies are huge, and it could work well with video game tropes.

kitler53

Pirates is past its prime. I think a game using it could be really really cool but at this point why not just make it an original pirate ip?

Jumanji would be horrifically awesome but makes more sense imo. Sony owns it, the movies are huge, and it could work well with video game tropes.

pretty much my thoughts on both accounts.

Dr. Pezus

SSM need to work on another IP IMO. Dont let the studio get fatigued with it.

I love johny depp, and to be honest I dont follow all these stories about celebrities and their battleship, but from what I understand is that his ex was lying and she was actually the one commiting the domestic abuse, and basically black mailing him to ruin his rep with the media.

I actually think that the only thing jumanji would bring would be a title. PotC has a lot of lore, characters and interesting ideas the game can pull on and use.
Depp is done, my boy. No way she's lying about all of this.

Johnny Depp trial: how the judge ruled on 14 alleged assaults | Johnny Depp | The Guardian

That doesn't mean pirates is done though. But, it's really not as popular today as it once was due to time passing and them ruining the franchise with bad movies.

BananaKing

Depp is done, my boy. No way she's lying about all of this.

Johnny Depp trial: how the judge ruled on 14 alleged assaults | Johnny Depp | The Guardian

That doesn't mean pirates is done though. But, it's really not as popular today as it once was due to time passing and them ruining the franchise with bad movies.
So they both turned out to be assholes. Lovely.

A pirates of a the Caribbean game doesn't particularly need Johnny dep though. Though it would be missing something.

But you could do stories with Barbosa when he was younger. Or just put a brand new pirate in the mix

kitler53

So they both turned out to be assholes. Lovely.

A pirates of a the Caribbean game doesn't particularly need Johnny dep though. Though it would be missing something.

But you could do stories with Barbosa when he was younger. Or just put a brand new pirate in the mix
johnny depps charcter is bascially synomonous with pirates of the caribbean still.   i really do feel like his (accused) abuse killed the ip for at least a decade.  probably more.  

pirate games are very under-represented in video games.  i do like that part of your idea to get a high quality pirate game with sea battles and the such.   but i'll also agree with legend here,... just create a new ip with pirates is probably the way to go for now.

the-pi-guy

May 19, 2021, 02:32 PM Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 02:37 PM by the-pi-guy
Eh I think Sony could do a lot more than the Pirates IP.  The franchise is no where near as big as it used to be. And I think 80% of the reason to watch it is to watch Johnny Depp.  Just between those two factors alone, I don't see very much value in using the IP.

Spiderman is a popular longstanding franchise that got even more popularity due to the Marvel movies.
Pirates isn't any of that.  

I think at this point, Sony would likely be more successful making their own IP.  

Less royalties, less constraints to stick to the material, less associating with Disney.
Or in opposite words:
More money, more creative freedom, more ability to stand on their own.