Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart |OT|

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 24, 2021, 07:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

How many hours?
Did you play 2016, better or worse?  
11 hours according to my PS5, seems about right.

I did play 2016, it's a much better game than that. It's not really a big leap in any direction, just pretty much a solid improvement in every department.

I think this game is just the pinnacle of being a very good game. It's a very very good game. It just doesn't do anything to be really special or be particularly surprising or groundbreaking. It just does what it does, it's a Ratchet and Clank game, but a very good one.

Xevross

I got the plat since that last update. 15 hours play time total. Loved it.

Just come back to check the new patch and, wow, really wow! 40fps fidelity mode really is the sweet spot, it's fantastic. You get the jawdroppping visuals and in terms of smoothness and gameplay feel it's a lot closer to 60fps than 40fps. This is absolutely the best way to play this game now and I want it in every game.

Legend

40 fps sounds horrible without variable refresh rate.

SWORDF1SH

Isn't VRR more to do with frame pacing?

the-pi-guy

40 fps sounds horrible without variable refresh rate.
He has a 120 hz screen.

Legend

He has a 120 hz screen.
Dang that's cool. With all the next gen talk about 120 fps, I completely missed the obvious ability for clean 40 fps. Been on near blackout with ratchet to avoid spoilers.

Isn't VRR more to do with frame pacing?
Yes. I was imagining 40 fps like God of War 3's 40 fps where it is essentially just 30 fps without the cap in place. Random fluctuations and bad pacing.

VRR would also help with a locked 40 fps but nothing a 120 hz mode couldn't do.

the-pi-guy

Dang that's cool. With all the next gen talk about 120 fps, I completely missed the obvious ability for clean 40 fps.
Haha same.  ;D

I feel like VRR has gotten a lot of attention, and 120 hz has gotten a fair amount but it still feels like 60 Hz is the expectation for a screen.

Feels like that contributed to missing 40 fps on a 120 Hz screen being a great possibility.

Xevross

Dang that's cool. With all the next gen talk about 120 fps, I completely missed the obvious ability for clean 40 fps. Been on near blackout with ratchet to avoid spoilers.
Yes. I was imagining 40 fps like God of War 3's 40 fps where it is essentially just 30 fps without the cap in place. Random fluctuations and bad pacing.

VRR would also help with a locked 40 fps but nothing a 120 hz mode couldn't do.
Oh I guess you hadn't seen it, they changed fidelity mode to be 40fps if you have a 120hz screen in the latest update.

This really should be a standard imo, it feels like the perfect sweet spot. Should always be an option.

the-pi-guy

It feels counterintuitive that higher refresh rates can improve lower framerates.  

Also counterintuitive is that 40 fps is kind of a middle point between 30 and 60:
60 fps -> 16.6 ms
30 fps -> 33.3 ms
40 fps -> 25 ms

Legend

It feels counterintuitive that higher refresh rates can improve lower framerates.  

Also counterintuitive is that 40 fps is kind of a middle point between 30 and 60:
60 fps -> 16.6 ms
30 fps -> 33.3 ms
40 fps -> 25 ms
I hope 40 fps becomes standard. I am a huge fan of 30 fps, but 40 fps seems like a nice compromise between people wanting higher framerates and gamedevs wanting to do cool things.

Xevross

60 fps -> 16.6 ms
30 fps -> 33.3 ms
40 fps -> 25 ms
Yeah, frame time is what we really feel and is the more accurate measure. Its the reason why the feeling really diminishes as you go up in fps.

And the higher refresh rates interaction is just that you need the fps to be locked at an integer factor of the screen refresh rate for the frame time/ frame pacing to remain constant, which again is what we actually feel.
I hope 40 fps becomes standard. I am a huge fan of 30 fps, but 40 fps seems like a nice compromise between people wanting higher framerates and gamedevs wanting to do cool things.
Yeah its hard to say if it will be the sweet spot for every game like it is for Ratchet but I think there should always be an option like this.

kitler53

reads this conversation,.. lulz at the emerging 120fps fanboys.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

reads this conversation,.. lulz at the emerging 120fps fanboys.  
Who said anything about 120fps?

kitler53

Who said anything about 120fps?
digital foundry and a few over at resetera. it's not many yet but there are already a few frothing at the mouth declaring 60 fps not good enough. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

digital foundry and a few over at resetera. it's not many yet but there are already a few frothing at the mouth declaring 60 fps not good enough.
This thread is about 40 fps.

Go Up