Some older games that will be playable on PS5

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 28, 2020, 12:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Sep 28, 2020, 12:43 PM Last Edit: Sep 02, 2021, 04:57 PM by the-pi-guy
So this is an awareness thread.  A lot of games from earlier gens like PS2/PS3 got remastered on PS4.
So a lot of beloved games will be playable on PS5. 

Main franchise:
Batman (minus Origins)
Bioshock
Borderlands
Crysis trilogy
Crash (main trilogy)
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto (PS2 + PS4)
Kingdom Hearts
Mass Effect
Psychonaut
Quantic Dream Collection
Resident Evil
Souls
Spyro (main trilogy)
The Last of Us
Uncharted
Yakuza

Games:
Braid
God of War 3
Shadow of the Colossus
Skyrim

kitler53

what can i do here but quote one of the most visionary people the industry has ever known..

https://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?msg=256897

can anyone for just once while stating that ps5 won't be backwards compaitible with ps2/ps3 ever mention that 52 ps2 titles are on ps4 right now and many of the best ps3 games were ported to ps4 as well.

oh sure support isn't fantastic but you can play all 3 ps2 GTA, pschonaught, dark cloud, all three jaks, TLoU, all 3 uncharteds, all of the kingdom hearts, shadow of the colossus, all three spyros, all three crash bandicoots, crash bandicoot racing, wipeout, read dead, braid, heavy rain and beyond 2 souls.  demon's souls is being re-leased for ps5.     

there isn't that long of a list of games on ps2/3 worth pining over not being on ps4/5.    

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Apparently Resident Evil has had pretty much every game remade.

I'd still say there is a lot missing.
Dead Space
God of War 1+2
Half Life
Infamous
Little big planet 1+2
Metal Gear Solid 1-4 (I could see this changing)
Portal
Red Dead Redemption
Resistance 1-3
Silent Hill
Sly
TES: IV

Boat loads of decent but niche PS2 games.

Legend

Apparently Resident Evil has had pretty much every game remade.

I'd still say there is a lot missing.
Dead Space
God of War 1+2
Half Life
Infamous
Little big planet 1+2
Metal Gear Solid 1-4 (I could see this changing)
Portal
Red Dead Redemption
Resistance 1-3
Silent Hill
Sly
TES: IV

Boat loads of decent but niche PS2 games.
Have any of the elder scrolls been ported except skyrim?

the-pi-guy

Have any of the elder scrolls been ported except skyrim?
Oblivion was on PS3.  
But that's all.

kitler53

i know this isn't a universal view point but i've gone though the lists and here are all the games on ps1/2/3 that are not going to be on ps5 that I will miss:

ps1
None: this era of gaming sucked.

ps2
none: see ps3 though

ps3
GoW collection
ratchet and clank collection
sly collection
portal
portal 2
dead space
infamous
infamous 2
killzone 2
killzone 3

ratchet and clank a crack in time
ratchet and clank tools of destruction
ratchet and clank into the nexus
ratchet and clank a quest for booty
puppeteer
rayman origins

to be completely honest though,.. i forsee many of those ps3 titles getting remastered on ps5/6.

Xevross

I really don't care about older games. I don't replay games and don't enjoy playing dated older games for the first time.

PS4 BC is nice to play some recent games I missed and might still have a desire to play, but pre-PS4 is pointless. Sony won't lose a single sale for not including pre-PS4 BC.

DerNebel

The only older games I could see myself wanting to play are either available on PS4 already or are called Persona 4 Golden and will apparently never be rereleased on PS systems because reasons (ffs Atlus).

Even if the ability to play PS1-PS3 games was available, you could bet your dog that usage would be laughably low.

the-pi-guy

I guess I'm a weirdo who loves older games.  :P

There are still some SNES titles I want to play.

kitler53

The only older games I could see myself wanting to play are either available on PS4 already or are called Persona 4 Golden and will apparently never be rereleased on PS systems because reasons (ffs Atlus).

Even if the ability to play PS1-PS3 games was available, you could bet your dog that usage would be laughably low.

agreed.  i'll bet my sucker is longer than the list of people playing original xbox games that aren't halo in any given week.

kitler53

I guess I'm a weirdo who loves older games.  :P

There are still some SNES titles I want to play.
sure, but how many of them haven't made their way to VC?   

nintendo doesn't needs full BC because the list of old nintendo games is pretty short:
 - mario
 - zelda
 - metroid
 - donkey kong
 - a handful more...

but no one gives a shame they can't play "timecop" without having an snes. 

nnodley

I really don't care about older games. I don't replay games and don't enjoy playing dated older games for the first time.

PS4 BC is nice to play some recent games I missed and might still have a desire to play, but pre-PS4 is pointless. Sony won't lose a single sale for not including pre-PS4 BC.
Yup.  Playing an old game for the first time is usually a horrendous experience for me.  Even worse when it doesn't even hold up well for an old game. 

It is annoying Xbox only fans think this is some big megaton for MS having so much back compatibility.  I hardly ever replay games unless i fudgy love the game.

Dr. Pezus

agreed.  i'll bet my sucker is longer than the list of people playing original xbox games that aren't halo in any given week.
And halo has already been remade

the-pi-guy

I'm not too worried about it.  I can get emulators for PS1, PS2, PS3 on PC.  But that does make it feel a bit silly.  

I don't really agree that older games are all bad.  There are some that are atrocious and always were. Like Donkey Kong 64 had some weirdly imprecise controls.  But there are plenty of older games that aren't even that bad.  Like the original Super Mario Bros games don't have that awful imprecision. It's a game by game basis, just like today. :P although today has a lot of advantages.

It's fairly important to me because my favorite game genre have largely disappeared in the past two generations. (turn based RPGs).

Xevross

I'm not too worried about it.  I can get emulators for PS1, PS2, PS3 on PC.  But that does make it feel a bit silly.  

I don't really agree that older games are all bad.  There are some that are atrocious and always were. Like Donkey Kong 64 had some weirdly imprecise controls.  But there are plenty of older games that aren't even that bad.  Like the original Super Mario Bros games don't have that awful imprecision. It's a game by game basis, just like today. :P although today has a lot of advantages.

It's fairly important to me because my favorite game genre have largely disappeared in the past two generations. (turn based RPGs).
I don't think they're all bad, its just playing old games feels bad to me. Unless its a game that hasn't aged at all I probably won't enjoy it anywhere near as much as new games. Outdated mechanics, lack of polish by modern standards, rigid structure and old graphics just really get to me.