Battle of the Backlog

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I honestly thought Doom Eternal was critically panned from what I've seen on Era.  Quite a bit of disappointment with it.  

Was surprised it was ~88.

Xevross

I honestly thought Doom Eternal was critically panned from what I've seen on Era.  Quite a bit of disappointment with it.  

Was surprised it was ~88.
Yeah I think it's one of those games with a big disconnect between critics and players. There's a lot of people who love it and would say it deserves the 88 but there's also a lot who were disappointed with it.

I'll be interested to see how it does at GOTY awards.

darkknightkryta

I was watching a playthrough of the 2016 Doom.  I was really impressed with what I saw.  LIke, I don't like first person shooters cause they're all kinda samey and it's hard to differentiate gameplay with them.  Doom just kind of did a good job with that.  It felt fresh, the boss fights looked/played great.  Then they threw Doom Eternal out and I guess went arena shooter hardcore?  I mean, from what I see, it looks like there's no psychology or thought process to the combat.

So with Halloween almost over, I'm going back to the backlog.  Going to get back into Persona and maybe something else from PSX.  Still have Threads of Fate to finish, maybe I'll put some time into that and finish it off (In the last stage I think).

the-pi-guy

Been playing Dark Cloud (PS2 on PS4). Been running through it pretty good.

I'm hoping to be done with it by Thursday.  8)

Next game will be Astro's Playroom unless something comes up.  

Will be a little bit before I get Demon's Souls. Planning to play Dark Souls after AP.  

the-pi-guy

I don't think most people here have played Dark Cloud

It's an interesting title.  It centers around going through dungeons and gathering pieces. Using those pieces to rebuild these towns.

There's also a huge and often irritating system for weapons.
Weapons are where most of the leveling in the game is.  Your weapon holds attachments, like higher attack, you kill enough monsters and then you can upgrade it and the weapon absorbs the attachments.

Some irritating bits:
Weapons have like 20 attributes that affect how much damage the sword takes and the enemy takes.  On the bright side, this mechanic can be mostly ignored.

Weapons are gone forever if they break. Weapons are relatively easy to break, and it's totally doable to spend 10 hours leveling up a sword only to have it break. On the bright side, it is easy to repair a weapon at any time.

darkknightkryta

I have both sitting on my PS4 waiting for me to get to them.  I'm in a PSX mood right now.  So I'm deciding on what I want to play.  I'll probably play through Danger Girl.

Dr. Pezus

I forgot I hadn't finished Astro Bot. Booted it up and had the final world left. Man, it's still mind-blowing how imaginative it is

Dr. Pezus

I forgot I hadn't finished Astro Bot. Booted it up and had the final world left. Man, it's still mind-blowing how imaginative it is
Final boss is annoying but rewarding. Credit scene is amazing!

the-pi-guy

Nov 23, 2020, 04:39 AM Last Edit: Nov 23, 2020, 04:40 AM by the-pi-guy
My current backlog plans are:
Dark Souls 1
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Sekiro

Is nice to play all of these at 60 fps on PS5. ;;)

I do have to say though, it just feels like there's more lag with Dark Souls than there was with Bloodborne. Maybe it's a TV issue. Maybe I was more used to Bloodborne's input. (I absolutely was, but maybe that is the cause).

With Bloodborne, I felt like the character always moved exactly the way I intended him to.  And it's a big part of why it's one of my favorite games ever.
With Dark Souls, it's slower and it really just feels like I go to dodge and it feels like a full quarter of a second later, before the character finally starts dodging.

Depending on what happens after this...  I'm hoping to get Demon's Souls for Christmas.

Also want to play Spiderman.

But depending on certain factors, my plan is to play Metal Gear Solid V afterwards.

(how much does MGS V depend on previous titles?)

the-pi-guy

I've been playing through Dark Souls Remastered. Thought playing through all of the Souls games would be great at 60 fps on PS5.

I've only played and finished Bloodborne before this. Likely my favorite game ever.

Dark Souls is a bit frustrating. Just feels like there is a lot of lag between hitting a button and seeing the action.

Decided to try Bloodborne to see how it felt by comparison as it had been awhile. Honestly it's absurd how good Bloodborne feels.
Like it can't be overstated how good it feels.

Legend

My current backlog plans are:
Dark Souls 1
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Sekiro

Is nice to play all of these at 60 fps on PS5. ;;)

I do have to say though, it just feels like there's more lag with Dark Souls than there was with Bloodborne. Maybe it's a TV issue. Maybe I was more used to Bloodborne's input. (I absolutely was, but maybe that is the cause).

With Bloodborne, I felt like the character always moved exactly the way I intended him to.  And it's a big part of why it's one of my favorite games ever.
With Dark Souls, it's slower and it really just feels like I go to dodge and it feels like a full quarter of a second later, before the character finally starts dodging.

Depending on what happens after this...  I'm hoping to get Demon's Souls for Christmas.

Also want to play Spiderman.

But depending on certain factors, my plan is to play Metal Gear Solid V afterwards.

(how much does MGS V depend on previous titles?)
MGSV is great on its own. Played a bit of 4 back in the day. Then played ground zeroes and phantom pain almost back to back. Loved both.

the-pi-guy

Somehow I took a break from Dark Souls and played some Kingdom Hearts 3.

Somehow I'm on my way from not hating the game.   :P
I think it's just largely there are a fair amount of changes with the game. None of the changes were inherently bad, but they weren't inherently good either.  And ultimately I was focusing on the reasons things were worse.

Oh well, the game is decent.

darkknightkryta

Nov 29, 2020, 09:39 PM Last Edit: Nov 29, 2020, 09:41 PM by darkknightkryta
I was going to post this in the Nintendo thread, but I guess here is fine too.

Finished up Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna The Golden Country.  I was playing it on again, off again for the past two years.  I bought a bunch of Switch games for Black Friday so I figured I'd clean up my Switch backlog.  It was good.  Combat was engaging enough, if a bit confusing for some of the extra stuff.  Like, one side quest is to get 5 smash combos done, and I have yet to get 1 cause I have no clue how to do it.  Party member attacks are also hard to figure out.  They'll just randomly pop up and you have to press either L2 or R2 depending on which party member attack you want.  But it doesn't work too well since it's, from what I can tell, random.  On top of that, specific combination of these party moves can activate a special finisher.  So there'll be a lot of times where I'd be waiting for a move to show up, it'll show up, but the button confirm for it would never actually pop up.  Then the combo timer thingy (There's no visual for this) will reset and you have to chain moves from scratch again.  It was weird. 

I'm waiting for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to show up, I had to buy it off of ebay since apparently Nintendo discontinued it (Breath of the Wild too).  So I'm going to head into that once I get it.  I got interested in Torna's story, so I want to see what happens 500 years after.

Apparently Nomura did the character designs for Torna.  Square also did a bunch of other things for the game too.  Which was interesting (Xenogears is a Square Enix game).

Danger Girl and OG Tomb Raider are currently on cue.  I might switch off of the PC version of Tomb Raider and switch to an emulator since I didn't make a jump and died, then I had to start from scratch and I'd rather not.  Danger Girl is on an emulator and thank god for that.  It does the same thing where you have to start from the beginning if you die.  I'm too old to be constantly replaying a stage.  And by beginning, I mean of the level.

the-pi-guy

Finished Dark Cloud.
First time ever. And I started it on PS2.  

Dark Cloud
Astro's Playroom
Medieval
The Last of Us Part 2
God of War (2018)
God of War 3
Uncharted The Lost Legacy

Finished 7 games this year?  
Kingdom Hearts 3 soon enough too.  

That is not a lot by most standards here. But I think it's the most I've finished in the past 6 years.  Almost total.  

Dr. Pezus

Finished Dark Cloud.
First time ever. And I started it on PS2.  

Dark Cloud
Astro's Playroom
Medieval
The Last of Us Part 2
God of War (2018)
God of War 3
Uncharted The Lost Legacy

Finished 7 games this year?  
Kingdom Hearts 3 soon enough too.  

That is not a lot by most standards here. But I think it's the most I've finished in the past 6 years.  Almost total.  
I don't remember if I finished one game this year

Oh yes atleast one, Doom

Oh and spyro 1 of course

Go Up