Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Thats crazy. So that puts it at 66-68k?  That's pretty good now. Hopefully it can continue to have legs.

I do think they should do something else though, give ratchet a break and then come back to it.
About 58k total after two weeks.

It will be interesting to see if this is a one-off week due to stock or if its going to have amazing legs.

But doubling first week sales is a great feat already, TLOU2 didn't even do that in over 6 months.

BananaKing

Apperantly its part of a bundle. But the cost of ratchet is included with it. You save 10pounds overall though.

kitler53

Jun 20, 2021, 11:11 PM Last Edit: Jun 20, 2021, 11:15 PM by kitler53
Apperantly its part of a bundle. But the cost of ratchet is included with it. You save 10pounds overall though.
with how hard it is to get a ps5 I'm sure that bundle could sell 10 million if it was the easiest way to find a ps5

Thats crazy. So that puts it at 66-68k?  That's pretty good now. Hopefully it can continue to have legs.

I do think they should do something else though, give ratchet a break and then come back to it.
as ratchet is my favorite franchise I have to say no...

..but yeah, 2 in a gen is enough.  it is crazy good but they overdid it on PS3.  much too not enough on PS4 though. 

what I really want is them to lean into the "arena" as an online coop mode like ghost did.  it could be an amazing way to expand the franchise a bit. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

with how hard it is to get a ps5 I'm sure that bundle could sell 10 million if it was the easiest way to find a ps5
as ratchet is my favorite franchise I have to say no...

..but yeah, 2 in a gen is enough.  it is crazy good but they overdid it on PS3.  much too not enough on PS4 though.

what I really want is them to lean into the "arena" as an online coop mode like ghost did.  it could be an amazing way to expand the franchise a bit.
Im not saying ditch the franchise completely. Just do something new, and then come back to it. Give the franchise some time to breath and allow for big jumps between the games.

An arena mode would be nice actually. With ratchets gameplay it could be a nice addition. Even add split screen to it. Wouldnt be a massive game charger. But it would add some extra depth to the game.

Xevross

NPD ranges for May:

Switch < 451k
PS5 < 192k
XBS < 169k

Decent month by pre-March 2020 standards I guess. But it looks like it was the case that all 3 consoles were down a bit from April. PS5 and XBS could theoretically have been flat/ slightly up , but only just.

Xevross

Switch will outsell XB1 LTD in the US next month.

Xevross

Ratchet's second week was fully down to bundles rather than amazing legs. Third week being ~23% of first is pretty normal for a AAA exclusive release, we'll see how legs go from here and if there's boosts with big PS5 restocks.

Here's some examples of third week % of first week for Sony games (rounded to nearest whole %):

U4 14%
GOW 28%
Spidey 25%
TLOU2 9%
Ghost 19%
Spidey MM 35%
Returnal 12%

God of War had a weirdly low launch in the UK with big second and third weeks to put it back in line with the rest of the world, Spidey was just amazing with legs. Spidey MM's third week was black friday week.

BananaKing

While its normal, its still on the upper end of the percentage drop. So its legs are pretty good if you ask me. And this is without digital. It seems the series is doing well and all this is at the higher price tag.

Xevross

While its normal, its still on the upper end of the percentage drop. So its legs are pretty good if you ask me. And this is without digital. It seems the series is doing well and all this is at the higher price tag.
Yeah its on the higher end of those ranges so its definitely still doing well, just hard to judge on a week by week basis considering sales will be so closely linked to PS5 stock, especially with bundles.

And yeah its without digital but with digital included its legs could look worse, so not really much of a point there.

Xevross

Mario Golf: Super Rush ends Ratchet & Clank's stay at the top | UK Boxed Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

Other notables of the week: Mario Golf launch is 17% higher than Tennis Aces, around 15k physical debut.

Scarlet Nexus, despite the xbox marketing, sold 58% on PS5, 21% on PS4, 20% on xbox consoles. Debuted at number 8, so we're not talking huge numbers here.

Xevross

One interesting thing to note with the PS/xbox sales split we've been talking about is that we know PS5 owners are buying physical a lot more than others (including PS4 owners) and xbox are way more digital than PS in general.

First week physical splits just don't tell the full picture, for example RE8 was 49% PS5, 31% PS4, 20% Xbox week one physical but we later found out that for the whole month of May it was 43% PS5, 31% Xbox, 15% PS4 & 11% PC including digital.

So first week physical XB was 25% of PS sales, first month physical + digital XB was 53% of PS sales for RE8.

BananaKing

One interesting thing to note with the PS/xbox sales split we've been talking about is that we know PS5 owners are buying physical a lot more than others (including PS4 owners) and xbox are way more digital than PS in general.

First week physical splits just don't tell the full picture, for example RE8 was 49% PS5, 31% PS4, 20% Xbox week one physical but we later found out that for the whole month of May it was 43% PS5, 31% Xbox, 15% PS4 & 11% PC including digital.

So first week physical XB was 25% of PS sales, first month physical + digital XB was 53% of PS sales for RE8.
True. But our observation if PS/xbox split was to try and notice a pattern which could be connected to the theory that gamepass has affect game purchases on xbox

If splits start to grow more towards PSs favour in the physical route, it can still be contributed to gamepass, because there was always digital sales, that was a constant. And we are measuring physical sales of games that came out when there was a strong ratio of digital sales attached to those games.

Of course it could be as a result of a faster digital adoption rate for xbox, with that pace, for some reason increasing faster than PS, or it can be contributed to gamepass starting to affect sales of games. Or both.

kitler53

in the UK,.. relative to hardware sales that's still a bad software ratio. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

in the UK,.. relative to hardware sales that's still a bad software ratio.
Yes its still bad, RE8 did have a big PS5 push though.

Xevross

Mario Golf retains No.1 and Zelda: Breath of the Wild returns to Top Ten | UK Boxed Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

Ratchet down 54% this week, so natural legs aren't looking too great. It's only gonna sell with restocks it seems.

Now here's another one for the game pass pile, Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance launched this week with 96% of it's physical sales on PlayStation platforms. Although, it only debuted at number 23 so we're talking about very low numbers here and digital may well have dominated.

Go Up