General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I just use google docs and sheets. I miss having office and windows.

Xevross

So I don't have ms office. Instead I'm using Libreoffice.  

I don't understand why the default is so bad.  

You get this single worthless menu.  If you want to do anything basic like changing the font size you have to go through the header and look for the right menu and then find the font menu.  It actually has a menu just like new word, but it's not the default.  (It might not be a terrible menu, I'm just not used to it.).

Or why the color scheme is so bad.  The icons are the same color as the MS office ones. But the apps themselves are like check out this white document and this slightly off white menu.  There's barely any contrast.  
You don't have access to office through work?

the-pi-guy

You don't have access to office through work?
Not for personal use. :P

Legend

I can't be the only one that works on math in my spare time, right?

Maybe in the far future I'll try to publish something.

the-pi-guy

May 26, 2021, 02:58 PM Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 03:02 PM by the-pi-guy
My blood boils something fierce when an antivaxxer reacts with a laughing emoji to my comments.

I can't be the only one that works on math in my spare time, right?
Course not.

I got my math books back from my parents a couple weeks ago.

Legend

Course not.

I got my math books back from my parents a couple weeks ago.
Books are for nerds.

I use wolfram alpha.

Back in college I tried to solve a math problem for 100 bucks. Wish I could remember the name/find the website that offered the reward. It was an infinite series that possibly contained every integer, so they wanted a proof showing if it did or didn't. Spent some time exploring it but never solved it.

the-pi-guy

Jun 04, 2021, 02:37 AM Last Edit: Jun 04, 2021, 02:40 AM by the-pi-guy
Amazon.com: Brother MFC-L3710CW Compact Digital Color All-in-One Printer Providing Laser Printer Quality Results with Wireless, Amazon Dash Replenishment Ready: Electronics

I bought a printer.

I ended up cancelling this order. It kept getting pushed back. 

Instead bought a $400 printer from Best Buy.  Yikes.

I hate printers. I don't think I've ever bought one I had zero issues with.

First impressions: this is magical. 

There are 4 ink cartridges, each one is huge. Combined they are legitimately close to the size of a normal printer you'd buy from Walmart.

Easiest printer set up I've ever had. 

Plug in, connected it to the wifi. My computer and my phone found it right away.  Didn't have to mess with stupid drivers, random installation services or anything else. It just worked.

If it's like this 5 years from now, I'll just say I have a perfect printer.

Legend

I feel like a crazy person. What do the numbers mean!?

What are the odds that two related numbers intuitively should be identical but instead split apart after 4 decimal places? This keeps happening to me time and time again and I feel like I've joined the occult, looking for patterns for the sake of patterns instead of following the math.

Haha I'm using numbers with 500 decimal places just because I'm paranoid my results can't be trusted.

the-pi-guy

I feel like a crazy person. What do the numbers mean!?

What are the odds that two related numbers intuitively should be identical but instead split apart after 4 decimal places? This keeps happening to me time and time again and I feel like I've joined the occult, looking for patterns for the sake of patterns instead of following the math.

Haha I'm using numbers with 500 decimal places just because I'm paranoid my results can't be trusted.
Wouldn't I like to know?!

Legend

Wouldn't I like to know?!
I'll present all this work in Hapax lol. It's the same stuff I was working on years ago.

Don't know if it's novel or trivial but it involved calculating tetration with real heights.

the-pi-guy

Younger me buying a TV: *looks at cheapo TV* this looks good to me.  

Older me buying a TV: *looks at reviews of high end TV* it only has a 8/10 for color gamut, am I making a huge mistake with my life?

Legend

Everyone always laughs at "swamp gas" explanations of ufos, but the sky can be so amazing.

Legend

Jul 14, 2021, 01:50 AM Last Edit: Jul 14, 2021, 02:18 AM by Legend
One of my mom's early memories was listening to a computer sing Daisy Bell. My grandpa worked for the phone company demonstrating new technology so they got to experience all of this even though they were pretty poor.

2001 made me remember this fact. I'd love to track down if it was before or after the movie came out.

Edt: seems it was early 60s way before the film. First demo was done in 1961 by Bell and he worked for Bell.

the-pi-guy

I've seen a few people have the opinion that electric is just a mid point before we get to hydrogen cars.

But it doesn't really make sense to me.  Unless the issues with the batteries are unsolvable from a law of nature point of view.  

kitler53

I've seen a few people have the opinion that electric is just a mid point before we get to hydrogen cars.

But it doesn't really make sense to me.  Unless the issues with the batteries are unsolvable from a law of nature point of view.  
batteries are terrible for the environment to make and recycle.  

lithium is a very limited resource on earth,. there really isn't enough for it to be the backbone of our energy needs. 

hydrogen is more energy dense.  to get a car to go a mere 300 miles on EV batteries it currently takes hundreds of pounds of battery.  a compressed hydrogen car will exceed 1000.  a liquid hydrogen car would be 10,000. 

EV is slow to charge hence why no is talking about battery as a service.  to go long distance you need to swap batteries.  compressed hydrogen could be refueled like a gas car. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up