Titanfall Build Up and Running on PS4, Going Multiplatform says Insider

Started by Raven, May 08, 2014, 04:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Now this one would really prove Tidux's credibility. Would be pretty funny if true.

Raven

There's a possibility that the exclusive deal came with a sales clause. In some cases, publishing contracts can come with a way out without penalty or at least not a steep one. If a game does not meet sales expectations the party that actually owns the game can step out of the contract and do what they think needs to be done to get their money out of it. Titanfall sold very well but there are rumblings that it didn't do as well as Microsoft hoped. At least that's what I'm hearing.

BananaKing

the tears of fanboys will be epic if this turns out true. however, i stopped seeing this as a huge deal anymore.

Dr. Pezus

As I've been saying all along...
It's only a matter of time with EA

Legend

I've just been playing it on PC.

Wouldn't double dip unless they added a lot of content.

7H3

I don't want half a game...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

I don't want half a game...

See this is why I like the responsibility rule. Your comment isn't trolling, it's just giving your opinion. Since atm there's no one here who'd take that the wrong way, it's perfectly acceptable.

7H3

It is half a game tho (confirmed by them) as they didn't have time to fully focus on the project that first year due to the pending legal battle. So what they released is basically half a game. Though, I'm not entirely sure I want the other half of it either :-p
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Raven

I own it on PC and I got bored with it after about 20 hours total between retail and beta. There's just not enough there for me to care. I was having more fun in Battlefield.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I own it on PC and I got bored with it after about 20 hours total between retail and beta. There's just not enough there for me to care. I was having more fun in Battlefield.

I don't think i made it to 8 hours of play time.

darkknightkryta

Maybe they'll make a super ultra edition for PS4.  Better Textures, MOAR resolution!

Raven

I don't think it's true. I think this guy got wind of Respawn having a PS4 version running internally, which wouldn't be surprising, and jumped to conclusions. I mean it's pretty much a given that Respawn had a PS4 version in the works before EA inked a contract with Microsoft. They're just probably never going to do anything with it. My guess is they just wanted to get the hang of developing for PS4.

Raven

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816784

I saw Gooch pointing this out on Facebook. Someone made a good point about the language surrounding "lifetime of the product". Basically, EA gets to determine what that means. So, to EA, that could mean one year or two years. Also, once again we have people saying that there are some possibilities that there are loopholes to the supposed contract that would allow EA to get out of the deal should sales fall below expectations. Which it seems obvious they have.

What's also obvious is that Microsoft wanted this game hyped and thus would want any language used to sound as though there is no way Titanfall could appear on a non-Microsoft console. That may have been nothing more than careful language. We don't know what exactly the deal was in the contract. EA could easily stretch certain definitions to, legally, get away with releasing a different "version" of Titanfall on other platforms unless all bases were covered in the contract.

Another thing we do know is that investors did not seem happy that an exclusive deal of any kind was made with Microsoft considering that Sony's platform was better received. I'm also willing to bet investors are now breathing down someone's neck. The PS4 managed to outsell the X1, globally, by a ratio of nearly 3-to-1 in the first calendar quarter of this year. Sales of the X1 appear to be slumping in comparison to PS4 and it may end up being the only console that generates any significant sales during the Summer since the X1 has pretty much nothing exclusive to offer until at least September and nearly all multiplats are generating more pre-orders and buzz on the PS4.

With some optimistic sales projections putting Titanfall at 10 million across three platforms, that means they feel that even in the best case scenario Titanfall on all of its platforms combined wouldn't even be able to top Call of Duty on a single console. I will say this. While the idea of Titanfall hitting PS4 is unlikely it would be devastating if Sony announces it at E3 like some rumors are saying. Not because Titanfall itself would suddenly be a better game for it. Rather, because Titanfall is one of the few reasons the X1 managed to sell as many units as it has. How many people who wanted to buy an X1 but haven't yet would look at that news and have their opinion changed? It would also be a big blow considering that it's currently Microsoft's best "exclusive" title.

BananaKing

With some optimistic sales projections putting Titanfall at 10 million across three platforms, that means they feel that even in the best case scenario Titanfall on all of its platforms combined wouldn't even be able to top Call of Duty on a single console. I will say this. While the idea of Titanfall hitting PS4 is unlikely it would be devastating if Sony announces it at E3 like some rumors are saying. Not because Titanfall itself would suddenly be a better game for it. Rather, because Titanfall is one of the few reasons the X1 managed to sell as many units as it has. How many people who wanted to buy an X1 but haven't yet would look at that news and have their opinion changed? It would also be a big blow considering that it's currently Microsoft's best "exclusive" title.

i strongly doubt TitanFall will sell 10 million. unless the massive bundling continues for longer than expected.  the game is at around 2.5 million sold so far. it needs another 7.5 million. unless a PS4  and ps3 verrsions happen.