Meta Quest 3 announced, coming this fall (Starting at $500)

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 01, 2023, 02:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Smaller form factor
Full color pass through
Facebook link
Updates to Quest 2:
Meta Quest 2 changed the face of VR when it first hit the scene in 2020, ushering in a new era of gaming, fitness, and more. It's already one of the most affordable ways to get into VR -- and it's about to get even better. Starting June 4, we're lowering the price of Quest 2 to $299.99 USD for the 128GB SKU and $349.99 USD for the 256GB SKU, helping even more people access the magic of all-in-one VR and our vast content library.

But that's not all! In an upcoming software update, we're updating the Quest 2 and Quest Pro GPU and CPU. Quest 2 and Pro will see an up-to 26% CPU performance increase with an up-to 19% GPU speed increase for Quest 2 and 11% for Quest Pro.

kitler53

how does it compare to psvr2 spec wise?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

how does it compare to psvr2 spec wise?
Ever so slightly higher resolution:
4,128 by 2,208 pixels
4,000 by 2040 pixels

Quest 3 has better passthrough with color
PSVR2 has eye tracking as a big benefit.
Quest 3 is much slimmer than PSVR2.  

Quest 3 has pancake lenses. I'm not sure how big of a benefit these are as I've never used them personally or seen particularly good comparisons. But supposedly they make a good difference.

kitler53

well if the comparision is even close:
1. that bodes well for psvr2 game development not getting held back by the meta quest 2
2. kind of makes psvr2 seem like the obviously worse option.  restricted to ps5.   corded.    i'm not 100% sure how free meta quest is to do what you want but i assume you can use it like a computer to browse the web and any web based VR content.   can you download VR content to meta?   i feel like sony not supporting VR in their media player kills like half of the appeal of having a VR device.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Cool look. The three camera zones are really distinct.