European football and discussion about social issues

Viewing single post

Started by BananaKing, Jul 11, 2021, 10:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

This is the problem. People only want to see it from one side. If you want to simplify things and label people who are against BLM as racist, then that's up to you. I make a rule to not discuss politics but found your messages very ignorant. This is where it stops for me.

Yeah it is a problem that most people only see things from their perspective.

It's true most/ maybe 99% people in the UK/US aren't harassing people of color.  They're not racist in that way, but a huge chunk of people still give the benefit of the doubt to the harassers instead of the people speaking out.

I know a lot of people that are generally good people. Day to day they treat people with kindness, including people of color.

But they still have a lot of racist tendencies.
They tend to be convinced that people of color complaining about things are not the norm, or
they think that it's just the media convincing them that their experiences are abnormal,
they think racism is a thing of the past, that some people are just generally having a harder time.
They are convinced that BLM is actually the trouble maker, they're the ones that are causing trouble.
They see the protests, and they see the damage they're causing, and they see how people are responding to them. They don't see the damage these people went through day after day before they went to protest.

Everyone is ignorant of some experience. The difference is, who do you listen to when someone brings up their experiences? Do you listen to the people complaining about how they've been harassed, or do you listen to the people insistent that the others are really just dividing us?

And for the love of gravy, stop treating "racist" as some kind of horrible dirty word that no one should ever use. Some people might not realize that being called fat is insensitive to most people, that doesn't automatically make them a bad person. Instead of getting defensive, learn from it when someone says "saying someone is fat is insensitive".