Recent Posts

Pages 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Off-Topic Community / Re: Movie Thread
Last post by Legend - Apr 21, 2024, 06:26 PM
Rebel Moon 2 was odd. First hour was super boring with nothing happening. Second hour was decent action.
Off-Topic Community / Re: Humanoid Robot Progress Tr...
Last post by Legend - Apr 21, 2024, 05:11 PM
I updated the op and plan to use this thread as a general robot thread. With so many companies working on them now, it can be hard to keep track.
Gaming Community / Re: Say Anything About The Gam...
Last post by BananaKing - Apr 21, 2024, 04:12 PM
Yeah!  

God of War, and Souls have been my favorite of this and last gen.
From the souls games I've only played Bloodborne. Bloodborne was amazing. But God of war is just the GOAT IMO
Gaming Community / Re: The Music Thread
Last post by the-pi-guy - Apr 21, 2024, 01:11 AM
Last post by the-pi-guy - Apr 21, 2024, 12:15 AM
Just finished god of war Ragnarok. What a game. Absolutely amazing. Though I do think I like God of war 2018 better. Either way. God of war is the GOAT gaming franchise
Yeah!  

God of War, and Souls have been my favorite of this and last gen.
Last post by BananaKing - Apr 20, 2024, 11:29 PM
Just finished god of war Ragnarok. What a game. Absolutely amazing. Though I do think I like God of war 2018 better. Either way. God of war is the GOAT gaming franchise
Last post by kitler53 - Apr 20, 2024, 10:14 PM
Elden Ring does have plenty of things in the middle. There's even boss fights in the middle of nowhere. Random NPCs.

I personally think Skyrim's open world is good (even if it's not good for Kitler).
Elden Ring is like the antithesis of Skyrim's open world in a ton of different ways.

yeah but to me they aren't really designed to be "open world".   they are always tethered to a location and if you step outside of the boundaries they de-aggro and reset.  the design of the bosses are the same as if it was a very linear game with a "boss room".    ...expect even worse because 
1. the open world area never makes the boss fight more interesting.   it's always a boring wide open field.
2. the bosses are all easy to cheese.   you can just leave the aggro area to reset the boss.  the bosses didn't even reset their life bar so the could easily be cheesed via a quick attack and run.    aka boring and worse than the previous games.
Last post by the-pi-guy - Apr 20, 2024, 07:12 PM
Open worlds when just used to select a mission suck. Modern ones are built like themeparks so you have plenty of activities/distractions along the way, but it's still just activity selection.

There have been true open world games. Rain World and Death Stranding both use traversal as gameplay for example. Minecraft like games would count too imo.
Elden Ring does have plenty of things in the middle. There's even boss fights in the middle of nowhere. Random NPCs.

I personally think Skyrim's open world is good (even if it's not good for Kitler).
Elden Ring is like the antithesis of Skyrim's open world in a ton of different ways.
Last post by kitler53 - Apr 20, 2024, 05:58 PM
rain world and death stranding are both backlog games for me.  maybe I should prioritize them. 

dragons dogma (from the trailers) appears to at least make better use of open world design to me.   makes me want to try it. 

...but I think you phrases it well.  most "open worlds" are just level selection hubs filled with dumb collectibles.  it is such a bad design and why I prefer linear games or "metroidvania" designs. 
Last post by Legend - Apr 20, 2024, 05:48 PM
Open worlds when just used to select a mission suck. Modern ones are built like themeparks so you have plenty of activities/distractions along the way, but it's still just activity selection.

There have been true open world games. Rain World and Death Stranding both use traversal as gameplay for example. Minecraft like games would count too imo.
Pages 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10