Why are artistic puzzle games so short?

Started by Legend, May 22, 2014, 09:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Just finished Monument Valley on my smartphone.

That was like what, 30 minutes tops.

Same goes for Journey and the Unfinished Swan. Amazing games, but they're only a couple hours.

What happened to having long artistic puzzle games? ICO was huge!

7H3

What are you really trying to say? :-p
I don't play puzzle games really, but I do enjoy games with puzzles in them, and really enjoyed the paper trail missions for ISS
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

What are you really trying to say? :-p
I don't play puzzle games really, but I do enjoy games with puzzles in them, and really enjoyed the paper trail missions for ISS

I just bought Monument Vally today. I never play smartphone games, but this got my interest. Saw a rev3 review for it and they liked it. So this morning some stuff happened and I'm like hey, why not get this game.

It installs. I start feeling excited. The opening is very well made and the game's very artistic. Puzzles truthfully suck as puzzles, but they're enjoyable to solve just because of the world. So I'm going through, doing the levels, and I'm getting into it. This game is actually making me start to think smartphones are a valid substitute for dedicated handhelds. Then it ends with a stupid ending just a few minutes later. In total it was just 10 levels and took about 30 minutes from start to finish. I truthfully did enjoy the game and would recommend it, but I HATED how short it was.

Got me thinking about this modern trend with artistic puzzle games. Journey was really short. The Unfinished Swan was really short. Every other artistic puzzle game as of late is really short. It's not a problem with the genre since there are really long classics like ICO.

I don't know man. Just food for thought. Also I don't think this is what you think this is. ;)

7H3

It would be cool to see a AAA puzzle game, but most puzzle games now are on mobile or indie games. Puzzles in AAA are usually part of a larger game.

Dr. Pezus

ICO wasn't that long either. I think it's mostly due to limited funding

Legend

ICO wasn't that long either. I think it's mostly due to limited funding

Wow, you're right. I guess I had nostalgia glasses on.

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=4601
6.5 hours

It can't be limited funding though, cause Puppeteer managed about 10 hours despite being a smaller title.

Dr. Pezus

Wow, you're right. I guess I had nostalgia glasses on.

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=4601
6.5 hours

It can't be limited funding though, cause Puppeteer managed about 10 hours despite being a smaller title.

dang, you just reminded me that I need to finally play that game. Have it through Plus now.

Well, do we know how much Puppeteer cost?

Legend

dang, you just reminded me that I need to finally play that game. Have it through Plus now.

Well, do we know how much Puppeteer cost?

Sold for $40.

7H3

hmm I'm going to have to grab that from the ps store... I don't ever play on my ps3 anymore, but doesn't mean I won't ever again... :P

Dr. Pezus