AI Bing and Edge are here

Started by Legend, Feb 08, 2023, 04:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOeRWRJ16yY

They kinda suck. In the demo they asked it to create a trivia game yet every single time the correct answer was answer A.

Also a lot of people are going to lose their jobs to this. Many websites will go out of business as fewer people click through to them.

kitler53

They kinda suck. In the demo they asked it to create a trivia game yet every single time the correct answer was answer A.

Also a lot of people are going to lose their jobs to this. Many websites will go out of business as fewer people click through to them.
just watching now but...

...i am really curious how this AI thing works.   i'm very happy with google search right now so what the hell are they going to do to make things better?   my experience with things like alexa is that these AI run things run like shame never doing what i want and always channeling me to what the algorithm wants me to want.   i honestly loath these "advancements".  

also, since these algorithms learn by consuming the internet what's going to happen when the internet has tons of AI content and the AI is learning it's output from it's own input.   like.. will i need to grow 9 fingers per hand because that's what our AI overload has decided is the normal??

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

Feb 08, 2023, 04:57 PM Last Edit: Feb 08, 2023, 05:05 PM by kitler53
half way though,.. very unimpressed with their sales pitch so far.   

like for instance,.. they are talking about how great AI will be for a thing like "what can i substitute egg for in a cake recipe, give me exact amounts".    okay MS,.. let me put that into google today and what do i get,.. oh yeah exactly what you are showing me.   

this isn't new.   google as been doing this sort of thing for ages.   it doesn't work obscure questions but is certainly works for the examples you are giving today.   sure there is room for improvement but this isn't some recent game changer.   things have been evolving in this direction for at least a decade now.

kitler53

oh god, the "wall of text" planning my vacation.  not a good user experience.   

i can quickly google the same thing today and find a dozen sites giving the same answer in a more organized and digestible way.

kitler53

lulz, create me a dinner ideas list and then make a grocery list but i dont have the actually recipes?

let me guess,.. i get the same meal list every time i ask.   so like.. according to bing i only want to eat 5 things ever.  

some of these tools are cool but will only be cool in the hands of someone making built to purpose software.   i don't want bing to plan my meals.   i want a website dedicated to recipes to do that idea kinda but like waaay waaay better.

kitler53

go into the technical part now.

... just via the description you can quickly see how much this is going to explode computation resource requirements.   this is going to be terrible for the environment isn't it.

kitler53

lulz.   they've said "responsible AI" like 2 dozen times now.  

kitler53

oh god,.. don't point to your spell check as an example of doing generative AI.   i have to go to google for spell check dozens of times a day for all the times MS products fail spectacularly.

Legend

lulz, create me a dinner ideas list and then make a grocery list but i dont have the actually recipes?

let me guess,.. i get the same meal list every time i ask.   so like.. according to bing i only want to eat 5 things ever.  

some of these tools are cool but will only be cool in the hands of someone making built to purpose software.   i don't want bing to plan my meals.   i want a website dedicated to recipes to do that idea kinda but like waaay waaay better.
It'd be random every time but all these demos make Microsoft look so clueless. Who the heck will immediately accept the random vacation or meal plans?

They really want it to be a voice of authority yet this tech is much better at different things. I really just wanted the ability to refine searches in a conversational way.

kitler53

i don't think i would have noticed if you didn't type it out but yeah,.. that's pretty bad.    it's also kind of bad that the host started talking about how great of a question it was going to make before it even made it.   goes to show you'll get very predictable results out of this which is kind of the opposite of "intelligence" if you ask me.

when one job closes another is created.   disruption has never lead to mass unemployment just changes in employment.   

kitler53

It'd be random every time but all these demos make Microsoft look so clueless. Who the heck will immediately accept the random vacation or meal plans?

They really want it to be a voice of authority yet this tech is much better at different things. I really just wanted the ability to refine searches in a conversational way.
yeah, exactly what i meant when i said i can see how the tools will be cool in a "built for purpose" website.   i like the idea of a vacation plan being proposed but i'm going to want to dig deeper into each option and swap some out for the kinds of thing MY FAMILY likes.   this is what i meant when i said "channeling" in my first post.   

like,.. amazon bragged about how changes to their music service would give me access to like 100 million song while taking away my ability to play the song i want.   now i have FAR FAR less variety in the music played in my house.   i swear to god i asked alexa to play "big bad voodoo daddies" (swing music) and eventually it started playing dua lipa.   

the algorithms have this singular idea of what people want to hear (aka popular) that is reenforced by the algorithm playing those "popular" songs whether i want to hear them or not.    it's a feedback loop that quickly channels the results to just a couple of songs most of which i don't even like.   alexa has become worse than "top 40" radio thanks to so-called AI...

kitler53

Feb 08, 2023, 05:49 PM Last Edit: Feb 08, 2023, 09:11 PM by kitler53