Why are basically all racing tracks "loops"

Started by kitler53, Feb 03, 2023, 05:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

so like,.. i get it IRL.  if you want to have a race that last 500 miles you can't practically make a 500 mile race track so you make a loop and drive it many many times.

but why is it that basically every racing game implements this IRL restriction??

not saying no races should be based on a loop but don't you think you could design some nice gameplay around a race track that is simply a "linear" path?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Forza Horizon has a lot of non loop races. They're a good variety and feel pretty hectic because you're not sure what to expect ahead.

kitler53

Forza Horizon has a lot of non loop races. They're a good variety and feel pretty hectic because you're not sure what to expect ahead.
yeah, i probably could have put that into the OP but that was the title that inspired my thought.   that and burnout.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Need for speed has tracks that aren't loops as well. They pretty much always had them  

Dr. Pezus

Rally?

Driveclub had a lot too

SWORDF1SH

the-pi-guy

For a real world answer:

1.) It's generally how commercial racing is done in the real world.

2.) A lot of games are very explicitly going after that kind of experience (GT7: drive real cars in mostly real places).  You get those real world vs GT7 comparison images where they have the same bushes and trees for some crazy reason.

3.) Is probably a cost thing. It's generally cheaper to make a 1 minute loop to make a 3 minute race than it is to make a 3 minute race that is linear.