Microsoft FY 2023 Q2: Gaming revenue -13%, Xbox content & services -12%, Xbox hardware -13%

Started by kitler53, Jan 24, 2023, 10:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

i'm lazy.  oh so lazy.  i can't manage to make my own OP but I do want to discuss is it...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-fy-2023-q2-gaming-revenue-13-xbox-content-services-12-xbox-hardware-13.679282/

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

gamepass subscriptions grew.

games and services revenue declined.

so like,.. can it get any clearer than that?  i've only been on ps+ extra for a little bit here and i can already tell i'm massively less inclined to pay for games now.   too many "free" options at hand.   so far i haven't spent any $$ this year.   I think i might just not spend any $$ all year the way things are going.

the-pi-guy

gamepass subscriptions grew.

games and services revenue declined.
Part of that is just going to be the fact that MS basically had 0? big launches last year.
While the year before had Halo Infinite, Age of Empires 4, and a few other ones.

Dr. Pezus

Where are the games??

kitler53

Where are the games??
sorry.  I looked but could not find that picture of Spencer quotes apologizing for last year but promising next year will be huge for 5 years running.  

....but 2023 baby!!   this is the year!

kitler53

anyone get any solid numbers in units sold.  

revenue being down on hardware looks bad this early in the gen but MS has some spin saying it's because of lower price.  

MS is publicly traded.  shouldn't basic information about their company performance be something I can find?.. as an investor.

the-pi-guy

Supposedly ~9 million last year, and ~20 million LTD

kitler53

Supposedly ~9 million last year, and ~20 million LTD
units sold up or down YoY?  

if we assumed flat then 9 million in both 2021 and 2022 would mean 2 million in holiday 2020.   reasonable?

Dr. Pezus

revenue being down on hardware looks bad this early in the gen but MS has some spin saying it's because of lower price.  

MS is publicly traded.  shouldn't basic information about their company performance be something I can find?.. as an investor.
Unit sales are lower too though :o

kitler53

Unit sales are lower too though :o
is that confirmed?

i know with the pandemic things got a bit inflated with video games but a lot of that was counteracted by extreem shortages.   being down YoY on unit sales would be like pretty bad given it's only year 2 and xbox is only at like 20 million units strong and there is a flood of series S units at any store i've been into for the last 6 months.

i know ps claimed the strongest month ever in december but that was following months of being nearly unable to buy a ps5 anywhere.   i'm still kind of worried that ps5 sales are going to flatten out or even drop too on a YoY perspective.   i think only nintendo is talking about being in a strong position and pretty much everyone else is talking about pretty significant "degrowth" lately.